“Yikes!”

Price range: US$6 - US$11
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Description: From hearty breakfasts to healthy lunches, all our food is lovingly prepared with the freshest and finest ingredients. We're committed to creating and delivering the finest dining experience in the breakfast and lunch industry.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This looked like the place to go to for a great breakfast. It was so cold that our server gave my daughter her own jacket to wear. Our meals were served quickly (a good thing as we were famished) and were tasty - I had the traditional eggs benny and my daughter had a crepe/waffle/french toast combo.

Half way through eating my daughter had to go the restroom and they are upstairs and out of sight so I went with her (leaving her activity bad behind). When we returned to our table it had been cleared, reset and two people were being seated there. I told the hostess that that was our table and she said we had to line up to be seated. I explained that it was already our table and asked where our food was. She said that she thought we had left and reset the table. I asked why we would leave the activity bag behind if we left and then asked if she even checked with our server. Blank stare and crickets. We sat back down and someone dropped off our bill. I waited for our server to come back or a manager to come by and apologize or for some one to do something. No one came by and as a matter of a fact it was as though everyone was avoiding us. I paid and left never to return.

There are newer reviews for Ben & Florentine

Reviewed 9 July 2013

This place does a mean breakfast, from delicate and sweet to heavy and meaty. I had a fantastic combination of ham, bacon, sausage, eggs, waffle, baked beans, applesauce, a tasty pork spread, and toast, that was the best breakfast I have had outside of Northern Ireland. My niece had apple-and-brie crepes, while my wife had eggs Florentine. We were all blown away by the good food, friendly service, and reasonable prices. It is a local chain that clearly knows what it is doing.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We were two for brunch at 11:30 am on a Sunday morning. We were seated promptly by the hostess, and our server brought us coffee quickly, but it all went downhill from there.
We waited forever to order, having to stand up and literally wave our server down to take our orders. The food arrived in good time, but after that, we never saw our server again. We were out of coffee and water, so we asked the hostess to ask our server to come to our table. She never showed up. We asked the hostess again for help, and she herself brought us our first coffee refill (almost an hour into our visit) as well as water. At one point we saw our server going table to table in her (our) section, appearing to offer an explanation of her absence to diners, however she didn't bother to stop by our table! We finally had to walk around the restaurant to find another server to ask for our bill, and a third and different server promptly brought our bill. We obviously left no tip, and we won't be back.
As for the food, it was decent - standard breakfast fare - but even if it had been extraordinary, we wouldn't go back due to the awful service.

1  Thank SjayToronto
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I've been to several of their locations in Quebec. Their breakfast is simply great, especially if you bring kids. Kids get a free meal that includes a small juice if you arrive before 9:30am. The best item on the kids menu is called "Bananalicious" where you get to choose a crepe, waffle, pancake, or a french toast - served with bananas and Nutella on top. My wife and I also loved their crepes and different kinds of eggs benedict. Definitely worth it, although slightly on the pricier side.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

This breakfast place is conveniently located downtown Montreal across from Place Ville-Marie. They have an exhaustive menu from omelettes to crepes to regular eggs. In addition to their regular menu they also have an “early bird” menu but customers need to specifically ask for it. Service can sometimes be slow and unfriendly. It can also be loud with the kitchen not being closed off from the customer area.