“Hotel de Paris? I think NOT. Executive Room? I think NOT.”
Review of Hotel de Paris

Hotel de Paris
Ranked #81 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Ottawa, Canada
“Hotel de Paris? I think NOT. Executive Room? I think NOT.”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Decided to stay at this hotel because we thought it might be quaint and it is ideally situated so that you are not very far from most things. I will give it this much credit. It's not a bad location. When I booked the 'Executive' class room which is supposed to be the best they have, I was told it had a balcony and faced Sherbrooke street. Well as it turned out, our room faced a cramped back alley which had scaffolding set up for the repairs going on on the third floor. The walls are paper thin, we could hear entire conversations in the next room and bathroom as if the people were in our own room. This baffled me completely why more drywall wasn't used between the rooms to soundproof them at least a bit. I could hear the people going to the bathroom clearly on the other side of the wall. The rooms were large and had an old fireplace that no longer works and mantle which seems cozy. But there are no rugs on the hardwood floors anywhere so with the high ceilings the room isn't very cozy at all. We were on ground level so there was no balcony. We both stripped back the sheets on the bed to check the mattress as it was so hard and basic that we were sure it was a box spring and not a mattress. It was in fact a mattress - just a really crappy one. Thin and hard like rock. Our room had no toiletries whatsoever except for those tiny useless soap bars, it had no blow dryer, no iron...nothing. The room had an old 21" television. Nothing new or modern and the remote was missing the back to keep the batteries from falling out each time you picked it up to change the channel. The telephone was a push button and there was no direct two digit code to contact the office. You had to dial two digits then the 10 digit phone number to get through. When I called to enquire about my 'Executive Room' I was told that was all they had left in the hotel. So I guess what I was told when I booked the hotel, didn't matter to them. The hardwood floors were nice and the ceilings were high and had character with the beautiful mouldings around the perimeter. But that's not what I paid $150 a night for the room to get. Breakfast was included at the little restaurant located on the first floor to the right of the entrance to the hotel but the patio was filthy dirty with cigarette butts and beer caps that had obviously not been cleared away before opening for breakfast. There were old leaves and cobwebs in the corners of the wood benches and the patio desperately needs to be repainted. All the wood! Our waitress (Maddie I think) might have been serving breakfast but she was completely out to lunch. She should not have been waiting on tables and each time she walked away, several tables of guests commiscerated together about how inept she was as a server. The tables were dirty and she began to serve me coffee in a used coffee cup. Blech! I had to ask her to come back twice to wash the table. The included breakfast isn't much even for a continental so we opted for the regular breakfast that we got a discount for so we paid $4 each. Still then, we got one grape, a tiny wedge of watermelon, a square of melon for the side of fruit that was supposed to be included. The plate included bread and when I asked that mine be toasted, I was told they had no toaster. I asked for it to be placed flat on the grill in order to toast it and she told me they had no grill. I questioned how they then managed to cook eggs and bacon. She left with the bread and brought it back 15 minutes later lightly toasted. The eggs were fine but not cooked the way I asked and the bacon is more like the strips of pork used when making baked beans. Thick over cooked slices and not very salty. The restaurant is a joke. And I'm not normally fussy about most things like this...but this was really bad. So I ask this question>>> What is so executive about this room other than the size of it? I didn't get the balcony, the view, toiletries, a blow dryer, a nice TV for late night, a good bed or even competent service with a nice breakfast??!! Never again. The ONLY thing I would recommend this hotel for is that there is free street parking if you are lucky enough to get one of the approximately 10 spaces right next to the hotel or one of the 3 in the back laneway. AND if you need a place to stay with your dogs, they are pet friendly as long as you rent the Executive Class Rooms (which we did). And Parc Lafontain is very close by to walk the dogs in. Otherwise I don't recommend this hotel. Ever. I was so disappointed. It was supposed to be a nice romantic stay for us. And it wasn't.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them you want the balcony for sure or the view of Sherbrooke street. Although I w...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Connie R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Dana Point, Ca.
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This charming old hotel was more than we expected for the price. The location is close to the bus and metro stations. Our room was a very clean upgraded comfortable space with a large balcony and fantastic city views. We enjoyed three nights there this past June. Ignore the reviews about it being a hostel. That is another company of rooms in the basement. Only saw those because that is where we had to get ice from the kitchen for our adult beverages we enjoyed sipping on the balcony.
The "continental" breakfast at the bistro next door was only coffee ad croissant. Be aware that they offer a small menu for guests at a discount only if you don't have the C&C. than they charge regular price. $9.00 for a two egg omelet! We only ate there once. Too bad because the bistro gets paid from the hotel for it's guests that dine there. This is a missed opportunity that needs to be addressed by both establishments.
Danielle at the front desk was very helpful with our many questions about the area.
Don't miss the 90 min. river cruise and the Old Port area.
We had a nice stay and would recommend others to stay at Hotel de Paris for it's charm and location.

Room Tip: ONLY choose one of the two balcony rooms as shown in photo....
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loisp9154
, Owner at Hotel de Paris, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Hello Lois!

Thank you for your review of Hotel de Paris. The King and Queen Suites with the balconies are a treasure for those who opt for them. We are pleased the weather allowed you to benefit from the outdoor space.

As far as the continental breakfast is concerned, I had a meeting with the bistro operator last week and we are now providing two fresh options for the continental breakfast in the morning.

Option 1: Half a baquettine with jam, a hard boiled egg, yogurt, fresh fruit with juice or unlimited coffee.
Option 2: Fresh bread product (Croissant, chocollatine, baked bread, etc) with side of fresh fruit, whipped cream cheese and juice or unlimited coffee.

He is now offering a variety if upgrades for $3-4 extra including waffles, omelets, etc.

So far, our guests have been pleased with the new menu.

Thank you for the positive feedback about our staff member. We look forward to have you stay with us again in the future.

Best,

Dino
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed in a budget double on the fourth floor of the main hotel. The space was quite small, but the furniture looked newish and in good condition. Everything looked quite clean although we did spot what we think may have been a bed bug on a window shade. That said, no bites, so perhaps we were mistaken. The hotel staff were generally quite friendly and helpful, although the housekeeping can be best described as inconsistent: the number of bath towels and hand towels and washcloths each varied between 1 and 3 throughout the days we stayed there. Drinking glasses came and went.

On the whole, I feel that the hotel was good value for money. Particularly given its location a two minute walk from the Metro and quite within walking distance of parks, restaurants, and sightseeing in pretty much every direction. Just don't sweat the small stuff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gewurztraminer
, Owner at Hotel de Paris, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Hello Guest!

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconsistent housekeeping you experienced during your stay. We had just hired a number of new part-time housekeepers for the summer and unfortunately, it takes a couple of weeks before they become as consistent as our full time housekeepers. In any case, I will pass along your feedback and make sure these observations are corrected. I am pleased that you did find the accommodations very clean. Perhaps next time you will consider staying in one of our executive rooms that are much larger but still very reasonably priced.

Thanks again,

Dino
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed two nights in June and were lodged in the annex building across the street from the main check in. Our room had no air conditioning, no access to ice, no water glasses, the bed was hard with a thin matress and the television, which was about 22 inches, had poor reception. The internet was on and off, but the worst aspect was the noise level. The walls are paper thin so getting sleep was not an option. The only two positive things about the hotel were the two front desk staff and the breakfast cafe waitresses. They were very helpful. We paid over 514.00 for two nights for a property that didn't even compare to a Red Roof Inn!

Room Tip: Make sure you are not placed in an "off property" location when booking
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LisaG2010
dinelli901, Owner at Hotel de Paris, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Hello Lisa,

I am sorry to hear you had such a noisy stay at our hotel. Grand Prix Weekend is always a hectic and boisterous weekend for any hotel in the city. With tens of thousands of tourists coming to be part of the race festivities, all rooms generally get filled and it can be a little overwelming.

I have read your review and apologize for any of the hotel's shortcomings. The room does in fact have an AC unit that is mounted above one of the windows and operated by a switch to the left of the window. Although we do not have any ice machines, you should have had two glasses in your room. We have been informed of the issue of the signal strength of the WIFI and have already replaced the affected router. I have instructed our maintenance supervisor to verify the condition of the mattress. Usually, our guests enjoy the rooms in our annex as they are superior category rooms with high ceilings and wood floors.

If you are willing to give our hotel another try on a future stay, I invite you to contact me and I will be happy to accomodate you in another room of your choice.

Once again, I apologize for your noisy stay and thank you for the feedback and positive criticism of our staff.

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels