“A Gem of a Hotel”

Ranked #80 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Pensacola, Florida
“A Gem of a Hotel”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

First I booked the hotel, then I read the reviews. But Patrick who answered the phone and took my reservation was so nice, I decided to chance it. What a lovely place, clean, comfortable, centrally located, quiet and charming. OK, it's not the Ritz. There are a lot of stairs, no elevator, decor is minimal and if I were 10 pounds heavier, I wouldn't have fit in the shower but the water was hot. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make up for the lack of amenities. There is a complementary breakfast with good coffee. After a day of touring on foot, coming back to HdP was a treat. And it was inexpensive. Staying in a chain hotel has it advantages, but I will always remember my visit to Montreal and the HdP.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kath w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 2 October 2013

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by Hector at the front desk. He was a charming man with the most wonderful French accent but very easy to understand. We arrived early and he gave us directions where to have lunch and more importantly where to park our car.
We were able to park for free for three days. When we parked our car we had the second delightful experience, Patrick, the other desk clerk He could not have been friendlier or more helpful. He recommended places to visit and even gave us discount coupons. We always travel with our little dog and she was made to feel as welcome as we were with only a minimum extra charge. Also we had a continental breakfast included with very good coffee and a delightful waiter named Anthony. The next day we met Caroline at the front desk who was as nice and charming as the others, also with a delightful French accent but very easily understood. The room was fine. It is simply furnished but clean and comfortable. The hotel is old but is a perfect and charming place to stay that fits right in the the history of Montreal. And of course the city. Montreal has to be one of the loveliest cities we visited. The beautiful old buildings, the shops and restaurants are first rate. We definitively would return to Montreal and to the Hotel de Paris.

Room Tip: Book directly on the hotel website for the best rates
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is our first time writing a review on this site & I`m glad its going to be a very positive one!
First off I would like to thank Dino & Patrick for the excellent service we received during our stay!
As soon as we arrived they helped us with our bags, gave us free parking & upgraded our
room for free! The location is amazing! We didn`t need to use our car the whole trip! The room was very clean & the bed was comfortable! Free Wi-Fi & free breakfast! The price was amazing, just under 200$ for the 2 nights we spent there! Our first Night we stayed at the Best Western & we spent a total of 240$ ( Our room, parking fees, WI-FI access ) & the room was
ok but very expensive. I'm so happy my husband suggested we stay here for the rest of our trip!
It saved us about 300$

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maggs W
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 24 September 2013

PRO: Inexpensive, very nice & helpful staff, good location, near metro station (Sherbrooke on the orange line), quiet location, nice continental breakfast included with some rooms.
CON: Tiny rooms, lots of stairs (no elevator), in need of a handyman on staff (GFI plugs don't work, door sticks, shower head loose, fan in bath is SUPER loud). It's small stuff, but it adds up!
OVERALL: Recommended for a low cost centrally located hotel in Montreal!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2013

It was my partner and I's one year anniversary and we could not have chosen a better place! So close to the metro, we were able to jump on and go anywhere we wanted in the city!
For our stay we got upgraded from the budget room to a massive bedroom over in the Annex and what a treat that was!!
The accommodations were fantastic and the staff was very friendly. We cannot wait to come back!

4 Thank RayBIII
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I'm not a fussy traveller. I usually just want a clean place to rest my head and feet. But I expect the photos of the room to match relatively closely with the actual room I'm given.

I rented a room directly on their website. The photos of the room boast antique hardwood floors, a decorative fireplace, beautiful crown molding, a huge window (a bay window in one photo), a chair, a desk and a breakfast table.

Instead, we were shoehorned into a small room. I tried to call the front desk but the phone just rang and rang. There was no chair, no table, a teeny tiny window, no antique floors, no crown molding, no fireplace... it was a completely different room than the category I booked.

Since I couldn't get a hold of the hotel via the phone, we just decided to move on and go see Montreal.

When we got back that evening, there were a few other things that we noticed that was unsettling. First, there was lipstick on the duvet cover - a big smear of it. There was lipstick on the walls of the shower, and a huge long hair in the sink. Still no answer on the phone - it just rings and rings. We go to look for ice. Nothing in the building we're staying in (at least we couldn't find it). The room was in the annex, across the street.

Decide to just use a sheet on the bed but alas, the duvet was the only cover. There was no top sheet (not sure if that's not a standard thing in Quebec, but it seemed weird). Being pretty easy going, we just slept there for the night and checked out the next day as scheduled.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the room in the photo, otherwise you'll be shoved in a small closet.
2 Thank Michael M

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The previous reviewer "Canadawide" stayed in the exact same room as us. The room was nicely refurbished, aside from awkward open space, less-than-average bed and pillows, extremely hot water or extremely cold water and nothing in between, and no phone in service.

We drove in from NYC and when we checked in, we waited for a good 20 minutes for the one person on staff to become available to help us. We asked where the parking (15$/hour) was, he told me that there are only six spaces and it is full. He said we could park on the south side of Sherbrooke until 3:30 the next day. We asked if he could reserve parking for us the next day when it becomes available and he said no, because it is "first come, first served." Not sure how we didn't come first, but...okay.

We used booking.com to book the Queen Luxury Suite that was supposed to have a balcony, and did not. It seems as if maybe there was a miscommunication between booking.com and the hotel, but the room in the pictures on booking.com was not at all the same room we checked into at the hotel. The room was extremely loud and the people next door had parties day and night - probably 10+ people at a time - and the smell of weed leaked into our room. We signed an agreement that said that if the hotel staff smelled smoke through our door, we would pay a large fine, so we decided to report this to the hotel staff because we didn't want them thinking it was us smoking.

The second day, I walked down three flights of stairs to ask about parking availability, waited 10 minutes to be addressed, then the guy at the desk (who was extremely rude) told me that there was no parking available and they only have three parking spots. He then attempted to point at the street for me to tell me where I can park. He believed that I wasn't looking where he was pointing and very rudely kept saying, "No, here!! Not there. Up here!" So I felt sorry I couldn't quite see through his eyes...? We then moved the car to Old Montreal where we had a tour later - a 30 minute walk from the hotel - and found a nice parking lot to park in for the next two days.

The third day, after the cleaning staff fixed up the room, they did not notice that we had no toilet paper at all in the room and didn't stock it. But, remember - the phone isn't functioning. We had to walk down three flights of stairs, then up to the front desk, wait another 15-20 minutes for our turn because they only have one person on staff at a time, then ask for toilet paper and complain about the noise and people smoking.

The third and final night, the people in the room next to us were, again, extremely loud, to such a ridiculous extent I don't think I can describe it in words. This was at 3:00am, and the phone doesn't work. I wasn't about to walk down the stairs and across the street to complain in my pajamas, so I emailed them using the email address on the website. An hour later they responded, said that they checked the room, and "everyone was asleep!" If they had done their job and had a working phone or checked the email more often, this wouldn't have been the case.

Such terrible service. Our only bad experience in Montreal was this hotel. Don't let this happen to you and book somewhere else that has real parking availability. Pay the extra money. Stay away!!!