“Not for everyone”
Review of Hotel de Paris

Hotel de Paris
Ranked #80 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our regular hotel was booked so I thought we would give this place a try. The staff were all friendly and courteous; I really wanted to like it and tried to make the best of it but ended up getting a refund and driving home on our 1 year anniversary. We stayed across the street from the hotel lobby in 105 or 106, pretty small room for 2 people to move around in, but manageable if you’re not spending a lot of time in it. The AC was a roll around floor unit that we had to move out of the window in order to close it from the noisy hostel below our window, so it did get a little hot. I am a bit of a clean freak I admit, but other peoples hairs scattered across the bed sheets is unacceptable. The bed also had a heavy comforter as the top sheet and a loose sheet tucked around the mattress and that was it. The comforter did not look like it was washed after every guest and there was no loose sheet to put over you for sleeping, so essentially you are sleeping in other people’s dirty sheets. Luckily I was able to get some extra shower towels to use as a sheet. There was a little fridge that worked but did not look like it was cleaned out very often. It smelt and the racks were covered in rust. The shower and bathroom were recently renovated and nice, but that’s all the room had going for it.
One of our hand towels in the washroom was covered in makeup or dirt and should not be used anymore. I also had to killed a "bug" that was running up the wall in our room at night and I also saw a larger "bug" half dead in the hallway, which was at least cleaned up by house cleaning the next day. If you like rooms that are at least semi clean and bug free this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brooklynn8

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The hotel is a beautiful mansion, my expectations may have been too high.

It is not wheelchair friendly. There is a large stair case up to the lobby and more stairs if you were put in a room upstairs.

Our room was tiny, 10' x 10', no room for luggage.

The bathroom was renovated but not well. There is grout smears all over the tiles and walls. The tile work in the shower is shoddy and the edges are rough, Careful not to cut your feet. The shower has no water pressure and poor temperature control. It goes from cold to scalding, to cold... there was a rogue spray from the shower over the wall onto the mirror and the sink area where everything on the sink ledge got wet.

The renovated parts looked like it could have been on Canada's worst handyman...

The best part of the room was the air conditioner. It was fantastic when it hit 42 degrees... but it is loud.

Location was a quick walk to a Bixi Bike station and the Metro. It was nice stroll to Mont Royal. It was about 20-30 minutes to walk to Old Montreal.

It was not perfect, but we have stayed in worse.

Room Tip: We were in room 28, it was on quiet for street noise but we could hear our neighbours come and go.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is lovely, quaint, not a chain hotel.
Our room was across the road in the annex, it was a good size, very comfortable.
The staff were professional & friendly.
You have to collect a voucher each morning for breakfast if it was included in your room rate, to take down to the restaurant down stairs underneath. This could be improved upon, perhaps some other system so you didn't have to go up the steep front steps to reception each morning.
We had a great time. The restaurant underneath was very good too.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I spent 2 nights in this hotel. A really nice and familiar creating atmosphere hotel. My room was quite small but had all what I needed. Good bed, a/c, TV, shower, bed side tables and a little wardrobe. I will surely choose this hotel again if coming back in Montreal!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Pietro T
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Firstly, the hotel is in superb location, around the corner from the Metro, up the road from the Bus station and a small walk downtown. The staff behind the desk were very helpful from the moment I arrived. My room was a double and it was rather spacious, the toilet wasn’t so big but that wasn’t so much a problem. I slept fine most nights, my room was on the top floor (no lift) however there are only two sets of stairs nothing neck breaking. The room was cleaned every day, no issues there. The only problem I had was the heat of the hotel, coming in from a humid temperature into the hotel which was worse. The air con in the room was OK, it cooled the room down slightly. That was my only problem with this hotel.

Overall, the hotel is in superb location and clean, comfortable rooms. When I visit Montreal which I intend to as it is a fantastic city, I will be staying at Hotel De Paris again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here during Dec 2013, the hotel has a great location right down town but is not very accessible. There is no indoor parking available - street parking only. Th ebuilding itself is beautiful, unique and full of character. The front desk attendants were very pleasant and helpfull. Our room however was INCREDIBLY small, and the bathroom did not have hot water for a shower (maybe plumbing problems due to the old nature of the building).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elliot M
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We weren't sure where to stay when we went on vacation and we just chose a random hotel on our first night. After a bit of research on our second day, we found this cozy little place and instantly agreed that this was where we would be staying for the remainder of our trip.

It was very quiet, which was nice and relaxing, yet walking distance from a few interesting places as well. The receptionists were amazingly nice and helpful and had no issue getting us a cab very fast. The outside of the hotel reminded me of an old castle, which was pretty cool. There was a homely Thai restaurant right below which provided free breakfasts with your stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends