“Outstanding!”

Ranked #90 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel was absolutely outstanding! I stayed in an upgraded room and it was excellent - more than worth the price. It was 4 rooms all done up very classy. Huge bathroom. Shower had 6 or 7 shower heads. Fireplace. Kingsize bed. Jacuzzi tub. Leather furniture and the list goes on. It was also very clean. Abe was extremely friendly and accomodating. He and the rest of the staff went above and beyond reasonable expectations. It was less than 20 minute walk to train station and Bell Centre. I will absolutely go back again.The best value in the downtown area!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wayne315

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The bed and breakfast style accommodation was wonderful. Each room is different and has total character. The manager is always making things better. Katie, the daily caretaker made our two day stay a feeling of home. They were both very helpful and kind when it came to finding our way around Montreal. We met and went out with another couple that was staying there. The location is perfect, you are close to everything, shopping, the bell centre, wonderful pubs, and you can just take the 747 bus from the airport to a block away from the hotel. I would definitely go back when I go back to Montreal.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful romantic getaway there. We signed up for the full spa service and we were not disappointed. Located within easy walking distance of the Metro and therefore just about everything in Montreal. Well kept, and very polite and friendly staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Presidential Suite and it was very nice. Luxurious to describe it in a word.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My gf and I had a pleasant stay at this 3 story, very cozy and full of stairs hotel. The staff (Abe) is friendly and the place is nicely decorated. The continental breakfast gives you a lot of options, and is surprisingly good quality. This hotel feels more like you're staying with some friends/relatives than a commercial hotel.

Before I comment on anything negative, I would like to point out that I'm a home inspector, and it's my job to look for flaws or poor construction details--some things that an average person may never notice or have it bother them. :)

-When I called to confirm the reservation (even though expedia said it wasn't necessary), I was told that they had over booked, and I wouldn't be getting my room with a king bed, but a queen for the first night.
-parking is about a 3 block walk from the hotel in another hotel's underground hotel. if you have a pick up truck, even a small one like the canyon or tacoma, you'll have to pay $20/night, and not $15.
-they gave us the VIP room that had the spa/jacuzzi and a queen bed. it was comfortable enough that we stayed there for the both nights, and not switching to the room with the king bed.
-Abe allowed us to use the jacuzzi since they had over booked us, otherwise, it's $15/use not including the soaps and bubbles you might need. We just went and bought a bottle from Pharmaprix (Shopper's Drug Mart).
-the bathroom sink was nearly clogged, and drained extremely slowly.
-most of the construction, while of high quality material and finishes, seemed to be installed by a do-it-yourself-er and showed lack of quality workmanship
-the shower has three knobs to control the shower and the jets--the left operates the jets to the left, the right operates the shower head, and the bottom knob operates the right jets.
-the temperature control takes a bit of fine tuning, and the water took about 50 seconds for it to warm up to the temperature you set it at. Do not start cranking up the temperature prematurely, as the water can heat up really fast. Just wait about a minute.
-When you open the wardrobe door, be careful not to hit the hanging chandelier like I did.

Room Tip: VIP room is pretty good. it was next to the street but you couldn't hear too much from the cars.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The service at the Chateau St-Marc was warm, friendly and ever-so responsive. The hotel had a B and B feel and that includes the idiosyncratic décor typically found in a B and B. The room was getting an add-on and had some rough edges but furnishings were nice quality. That said, everything was spotless and fresh, the mattress very comfortable and the room was one of the quietest I have ever experienced in travel. Must be the stone buildings blocking any other guest noise. I would strongly recommend upgrading the quality of the breakfast pastries and cereals to match the fine cuisine available throughout downtown Montreal. Good location.

Room Tip: most rooms accessible via steep and somewhat narrow staircases
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank C0nference_g0er
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Disregard the poor reviews - this hotel is simply one of the hidden gems of the city. The outward appearance is subtle, almost to the point where I thought we made a mistake. However, once inside, it becomes almost like a second home, albeit grandiose. The staff is nothing short of spectacular. I have stayed in world class hotels throughout the globe, and this staff is just as good as any. The owner is particularly friendly and accommodating (let us check in hours before our assigned time, while also allowing us to pick our room). We fell in love with his adopted dog Sushi! The Imperial Suite 2 was amazing. The balcony was spacious and the sky lights were an added welcome in the morning. The location was great. Far enough away from the busy streets to not be woken up by the festive nature of Montreal, but close enough to walk everywhere (including the Via Rail). I would gladly make this my hotel of choice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Abef_11, General Manager at Chateau St-Marc, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear
We are so glad you had a good time during your stay with us.
We are here and always ready for you anytime you like to come back again. Until then we wish you and all our guests the real best!.
Many thanks.
Regards
Abe Farah
Manager
Chateau St Marc
Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have been using TA for trip planning for many years, thus I am writing this review even though it goes against the lion's share of comments. Rather than re-write what several others have stated, I refer the reader to the Sept. 23rd. review, "Oh my" and December 28th. review, "Overpriced...not a 5*". Both captured the essence of our stay. When we checked in late at night and my husband grumbled about the room, I thought he was irritable after a day of travel. However, after a quick shower in a tiny bathroom NOT worthy of a 4/5* (dirt beside the toilet, a toileteries rack that was coming off the wall, uneven flooring, incomplete renovation) I quickly realized that his first impression was correct. My error in booking this boutique hotel was that I discarded the poor reviews as they were in the minority. Perhaps there are other rooms that are worthy of a high ranking. If so, I urge a potential guest to pay attention to the reviews that identify problematic rooms (ours was in the main building, at the very top of a narrow, winding iron staircase) and avoid these. BTW, I have extensive international travel experience, and although I anticipated a European-type accommodation, our room and its surroundings did not reflect this.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that have received poor reviews; they are accurately represented (unless PROFESSIONA...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GRG
Abef_11, Manager at Chateau St-Marc, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hello Dear
Our most important policy is that any guest is a VIP and when they leave they have to be satisfied. So please call the Hotel at 1-800-463-6356 when you have a few minutes..
Best Regards