“Bistro 1843 - crazy location, awesome food”
Review of Bistro 1843

Bistro 1843
Ranked #4 of 6,523 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Llle-Bizard-Sainte-Genevieve
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Who'd a thunk it? A crazily great place to eat on Ile Bizzard. I mean - I thought ile Bizzard was just about the golf courses - not about food.

But there I was - guests of a friend of ours who positively loves great food - and bring your own wine places. He's clearly an 'oeniphile' - that's someone who knows a ton about wine - with over 1000 bottles in his cellar - and he knows his food too.

So joining him somewhere new to you - but not to him - is definitely going to be good. And this was very very good.

The owners/chef are a bright young - completely bi-lingual couple - who just 6 months ago had their first child. The wife (Sara-Ann) is the hostess, waitress, and general friendly soul, while the husband (Karik) does the cooking - and great cooking it is. Meanwhile the baby is upstairs - with her night-nanny. Turns out the 2nd floor of the historic homestead turned gourmet restaurant is where they live. Talk about a seriously easy comute.

The restaurant has been open for 4.5 years - which just says that sometimes I'm incredibly slow at learning about new places. Our friends have eaten there dozens of times - and were greeted warmly by the hostess - who in addition to providing outstanding service - gifted us with an extra dessert. Given that our meal extended over 3 hours - and she locked up behind us - I'm pretty sure that extra dessert was our reward for last of the night!

Rumor has it that you must make reservations a month in advance - and our friends admit to thinking they have scored if they can get a reserveration with just a week's notice - yes it's that good, and that popular.

But I know you are waiting to hear about the food.

The menu is quite limited - as would be expected of a place with just 30 seats, and one chef in the kitchen. The Table d'hote - which just means off the menu - all the meals come with a soup or sald and dessert - had 3 offerings - of which 2 were outstanding. My friends adored their steak - one served with a bernaise sauce - made up to order since it wasn't supposed to be served that way, and the other had the steak with the reduction of bacon and maple. Yummy. I positivied adored my meal - a completely yummy piece of cod served with figs. My husband's lamb offering wasn't quite as good as ours - so sorry dear.

The soup d'jour was a sweet potato ginger concuction that was a tad heavy on the giner - but not so heavy that my husband didn't lick the bowl.

For entrees, following our friend's suggestion - we ordered the scallops in curry. Oh my - that was easily the best dish of the evening.

Desserts were also excellent - well presented, and elegant. I tried the walnut tart - packed with walnuts and served with home-made ice cream. My husband had a blueberry upside down cake which he finished with joy. The free dessert i mentioned earlier was the flourless chocolate cake - heavy on cocolate and served with a maple ice cream that I loved.

So - good food, good wine, good friends - comfortable chairs, pleasant surroundings - and the feeling of being in a home - not a high turn over restaurant.

Great meals are made of this.

** Important note - the picture that tripadvisor has connected to the Bistro 1843 on Ile Bizzard is WRONG - the actual place is extremely cozy with very comfy armchairs and a totally - this is my home - feel. Just a heads up there. **

Date of visit: January 2014
3  Thank thesouplady-two

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We had a family and friends birthday celebration here for 26 people which left only two tables of four available. The space is intimate, the service was perfect and the food was excellent. I had hot potato leak soup to start followed by a rib eye steak, although I think it might have been two boneless rib eyes, very tender, served in a light beefy sauce on top of potatoes and veggies that tasted very fresh. dessert was a slice of warm walnut torte with vanilla ice cream. OMG - I could eat it all over again! It's a BYOB too, which is very nice. I can't rate this place high enough. Make a reservation in advance as far in advance as possible - it's that good!

Date of visit: October 2013
2  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This 1843 historical house is a perfect setting for a great meal. From the table d'hôte to the written on a slate to the complete menu, there is a choice for every taste. Service can be slow if very busy but all is worth the wait. Bring you own wine is also a plus. Reserve well in advance;

Date of visit: August 2013
3  Thank jogetnog
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Magnificent! Simply fabulous!
The small intimate restaurant provide an above and beyond customer service. Food was excellent and prices were reasonable. Reservation weeks in advance and certainly worth the wait. This restaurant is a must visit, owners operated and they know the importance of customer satisfaction. They really did an excellent job and I highly recommend it.

Date of visit: August 2013
1  Thank LizCarpio
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was a delightful dinner with extra special food in a beautiful old stone house setting. The service was very attentive and the chacken and the salmon dishes were both superb. The desserts were also very special.

Date of visit: July 2013