“Exquisite Hotel. Gorgeous in every way!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #33 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Exquisite Hotel. Gorgeous in every way!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I absolutely loved our stay at this hotel. The hotel is gorgeous in every way, with some of the loveliest, most comfortable and luxurious rooms I have ever stayed in. The staff is very polite, friendly and helpful, with each person offering recommendations and suggestions to make your stay in Montreal more enjoyable. The concierge went the distance to find us hard to get concert tickets for that night, and they were reasonably priced for fantastic seats. The bathroom in our room was spacious and beautiful, with a gorgeous claw foot tub that two people can comfortably soak in. We loved the tub so much that we purchased a similar one when we remodeled our own bathroom. The restaurant is top-notch. The ambiance is classy and hip, and certainly not stuff, and the food is delicious. For lunch, you can opt for a multi-course meal (uncommon for lunch!). It is a really enjoyable experience. My husband had planned this trip for my birthday, and the hotel was so accommodating to his requests - specific flowers and a bottle of our favorite champagne waiting in the room - and the entire staff knew it was my birthday and kept giving me well wishes. Finally, if you are a spa enthusiast, the spa at this hotel is extremely unique and luxurious. It is very private (you feel like it is your own personal spa and staff) with the orginal rock and brick from the building incorporated into the new, luxurious facilities. I opted for a wrap and a massage, and both were among the best I have ever had. I highly recommmend this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dena E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

Went to Montreal for a weekend and wanted to stay in Old Montreal. The hotel was perfectly situated within walking distance from restaurants, shops and the old town. The service was attentive and prompt. We ordered room service for breakfast and the food arrived a few minutes early. They also have a great restaurant bar for cocktails. The rooms are very comfortable with a nifty little touch pad that controls the lights within arms length without making too much of an effort.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RafeNewYork
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I recently visited Hotel Le St. James with family over the Easter holiday. We booked this hotel after our scheduled vacation to Budapest fell through at the last minute. In light of this disappointment, I was thoroughly prepared to dislike this hotel; however, it was impossible not to fall in love with this first class establishment, as well as the city of Montreal.

From the moment we arrived at Le St. James, we were treated like royalty. Upon our arrival at the hotel (by car), the concierge unloaded and parked our vehicle (there is a separate fee for parking) within the blink of an eye. Check-in was just as smooth, and it was only a matter of minutes before we were fully ensconsed within our room -- a junior suite that was exceptionally roomy and clean, and included all of the basics (flat screen television, speakers, safe and minibar). The bathroom had a bath and separate shower, and my daughter and I loved all of the bath products (particularly the body cream and sleep mist).

The hotel, a former bank, is classy and elegantly furnished. A reading room off the lobby is extremely comfortable, and houses a Mac computer with free wi-fi access (there is a $20 charge for wi-fi access in the rooms, which I do find unnecessary) as well as newspapers, magazines and books (all of the great classics). Le St. James has a spa (which I did not have the opportunity to utilize) as well as a small fitness center. The fitness center houses two treadmills, an elliptical machine, several stationary bicycles and some weights. Although small, the fitness center was more than adequate, and I never had to wait for a machine or to use the weights.

We had the opportunity to dine at XO, the hotel restaurant. Although pricy, the food was excellent and the wait staff more than accomodating. We also ordered room service during our stay, which was delicious, albeit expensive (our turkey club and coffee came to $50, with taxes and service charges).

At this point, I must note that everyone employed at the St. James went out of their way to ensure that we had a fanastic stay in both the hotel and in Montreal. The staff at the front desk was wonderful throughout the duration of our visit. The concierge went out of his way to prepare a full itinerary for us, complete with restaurant recommendations (all of which were fabulous, particularly Barroco for dinner, and Olive & Gourmando and Eggspectations for breakfast/lunch). Even the housekeeping staff expressed concern about our comfort, and made sure to give my daughter extra chocolates during the nightly turn down service (which were especially appreciated by a certain 10 year old).

Le St. James is centrally located within Old Montreal (or Vieux-Montreal, as it is called by the locals). Most of the sites that we visited were accessible on foot, and those that were further (ie. the Biodome, Botanical Gardens, Complexe Desjardins) could be reached by taxi or train.

A few additional points ... Le St. James does take pets (for an additional fee). Although I chose to leave my canine companions at home, I did see other guests with dogs in the hotel lobby. Also, if traveling to Le St. James by car (and you are relying upon a navigational system), please be aware that there are two 355 Rue Saint Jacques (the address of the hotel) in Montreal. The address that we arrived at first was an abandoned building; however, when I plugged the name of the hotel into my navigational system (instead of relying upon the address alone), I was immediately directed to the correct location.

Anyway, all in all, I cannot do anything but rave about Le St. James. I have traveled a lot over the years for business and pleasure, and very few hotels have made me feel as special as Le St. James. I am already planning my next trip back to Montreal this summer ... and you can be sure that I will be staying at Le St. James.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Chellco
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

The Le St-James is a beautiful and luxurious hotel. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed with mammoth king sized beds and large flat screen TVs. All in all very comfortable. Unfortunately, there are no connecting rooms. This was a minor inconvenience when traveling with family. Beautiful lobby and dining room. Service was top-notch.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank GRJESQ
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

My wife and I spent the weekend in Montreal, and were disappointed in the level of amenities provided in this five-star hotel. We anticipated that there would be a comfortable lounge with multiple seating areas and service for drinks or light appetizers, and instead there was a shabby "library" adjacent to the drafty main entrance, which served as a waiting room for guests checking in. Not a place you want to sit and have a drink. There is not really a lounge in this hotel at all. The fitness center was promoted as being "state of the art" although there was one treadmill, one weight machine, and a couple of other pieces of equipment in a basement room. The "spa" is one treatment room with stone walls, and there are zero amenities available to hotel guests. The steam room is really just a steam shower, and you cannot access this unless you have purchased a treatment in that room. There is not even a bathroom at the spa level, nor is anyone sitting at the desk unless they are waiting for an appointment. My wife found this basement area to be creepy, and I found it to be nowhere near a five-star level. The breakfast included with our booking turned out to be a continental breakfast only, which was adequate for us, but perhaps not for someone else - lesser value than I expected. I was particularly insulted, however, by the fact that I was charged $6.00 for a cup of regular coffee in a take-out cup. I came to the lobby early in the morning looking to bring coffee upstairs while I did some work, and was astounded at the nerve of the hotel charging this much for coffee - they need to get a clue from the Four Seasons about service - free coffee in the morning is five-star - this was not. This charge for the coffee was consistent with the $20 per day WiFi charge we were compelled to pay - let's get real about service - free internet is service-oriented, charging for it, let alone $20 per day for it, is not. Other than these complaints, the room was very nice and comfortable, and the hotel location was great. What nearly made up for the hotel's shortcomings was the excellent concierge staff, particularly Simon, who were so accommodating and knowledgeable about what we New Yorkers would want to do and see. They sent us for an incredible meal at Barroco, which really made our trip, and were so informative and responsive. Overall, we will never stay at this hotel again and I do not consider it to be a five-star hotel, although the staff was well-trained and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank peterbnewyork
LeStJames, Hotel Management at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Dear peterbnewyork,

Thank you for expressing your appreciation for your room, for the Hotel’s location and for our accommodating staff. Le St-James truly prides itself on the quality of its staff and the level of service provided.

The entire team was nonetheless saddened to read the above review of your hotel experience.

Upon your arrival, we were happy to offer an early check-in at 1:30 PM since the room was ready before standard 4PM check-in time. The Front Desk directed you towards the Library for a moment in order for a receptionist to be available to escort you to the room, one of our Leading Hotel standards. The Library is usually an ideal place to sit by the fireplace on a cold day. The weather in Montréal was bitterly cold over the weekend and we do recognize that the lobby was quite drafty due to the combined malfunction of one of our front doors and exceptionally high traffic in the lobby. Indeed, the Hotel was sold out on that same weekend! We are very sorry for this inconvenience. We have rectified the situation, and the door has been repaired since.

We regret that our staff did not instead direct you to our XO Lounge, which has many intimate alcoves and lounge seating for 30 people. The Lounge underwent a major renovation in 2009, pictures of which do appear on Expedia.

As stated on the Expedia website, the Hotel policy is indeed to charge for Internet access in all guest rooms. We do however provide complimentary wired access on our iMac in the Library, and complimentary wireless access in all public areas.

It was a pleasure to host you and your wife in Montréal and we are thankful that you shared your concerns with us after your stay. It is through guest feedback that we improve the St-James experience. We would love that you reconsider staying with us. If so please feel free to contact me directly at elizabeth@hotellestjames.com.

Best Regards,
Elizabeth
sanfr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

We had booked the Sheraton, but following the cool reception, Stalinist feel and lack of help on arrival - we checked out and looked for an alternative.

The St James hotel is ideal. Staff throughout are incredibly welcoming and helpful. Food is fresh and whilst it won't challenge 'destination' restaurants, meals were of a uniform high standard with an enormous variety of fresh salads, vegetables, cold meats, seafood and cooked meats.

Will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank maryhel
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over New Year's eve weekend and it was wonderful. We made a reservation for the New Year's even dinner at XO restaurant and the food was amazing (although I have to say that the chair was not as comfortable as I would have liked).

We stayed in a Jr. Suite and the room was beautifully decorated with a small but luxurious bathroom with nice tub and seperate shower. The best part for us was that they allowed us to bring our dog and even set up the cutest dog bed and bowls for him in the room. Its hard to find hotels as nice as this one that welcome pets. We also had treatments in the spa and although the massage was just OK, the rooms were worth it, very unique and we got our own private room with sauna, shower, and steam room to get ready in. The location was about a 7-10 minute walk to the main shopping/eating area and there are a few nice bistro style restaurants closer (highly recomment Holder Restaurant). The concierge, reception and valet were all super attentive and very welcoming at all times. The only minor complaint I had was that the room was really hot and even though we had control over the temperature, the room would just not cool off. We ended up opening windows and it was fine after that.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple