“Wish I had more nights here”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #33 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Dublin
“Wish I had more nights here”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Loved the hotel form the moment I walked in the door! No awkwardness at wanting to bring my own case up (wanted to get straight in shower after long day travelling), very cool keys etc. upon arriving at my room, was again very happy, really nice furniture, feels very new, high ceilings makes it feel super expensive. All replicated in the bathroom where shower must be 12ft tall...bath would be nice...but now smell amazing from molton brown and happy out :) ... Bar was quiet but very nice and great service...just a pity Montreal didn't win its Stanley cup match this eve!!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank nicholsonc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

From the front desk to the dining room servers, the staff is extremely gracious and professional. The room was well appointed and the only off putting aspect was that it was across from an office building with desks facing directly into our room and bathroom, so the drapes were drawn for most of our visit for privacy sake. Not much the hotel can do about that but it still diminished the experience slightly. All the amentities you'd expect and a terrific spa made for a memorable visit. I would book again when I return to Montreal and recommend you give it a try too.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OysterLove
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed and this gorgeous hotel for 3 nights in April 2014, and boy was is hard to go home! Not only was the facility visually delightful (you must check out the “bibliotheque” off the main entrance), but it was also very comfortable and the service was outstanding. We had a suite on floor ten, and it had a powder room in addition to the large bathroom off the bedroom. Wonderful marble bath as well as a “rain” shower. The mattress was incredibly comfortable, and there was a sound system in the “living room” that was very clear and was set to classical music for our arrival. Concierges and front desk were very helpful with directions and reservations. The only very minor complaint was a bit of a delay to get ice. The location was in a very convenient walking-distance to the cool Old Montreal shops and eateries (and very close to Notre Dame), as well as to the heart of downtown. If you stay here, treat yourself to a massage at Le Spa. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so pampered. I’m already saving up for my next trip!

Room Tip: We were willing to pay a little extra for the suite on the tenth floor— Looking at the building from...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NVH50207
Hanover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the St. James for four nights at the end of April 2014. The location in Old Montreal was convenient to everything. We walked everywhere and didn't see our car again until we checked out. We were absolutely delighted with this beautiful hotel. The service was first rate, the staff were very friendly and very helpful. The hotel is very well maintained and spotless. The furnishings in the common areas are beautiful period pieces. There is a library you can sit and relax or read.

Our room was large, well appointed, and extremely clean. The bedding was excellent and the room was very quiet. Our bathroom was all marble and had a very large shower and a bath tub. The bath towels, face cloths and hand towels were excellent quality. Our room was made up promptly everyday and bottled water and chocolates were provided on the bedside tables. The room also had a safe, a music system and the telephone had a greeting welcoming us to the Le St. James.

While we did not eat at the restaurant XO, we will definitely make it a point to do so in future visits. We did sit in the lounge for drinks one night and really enjoyed it.

It is not inexpensive but frankly I would recommend this hotel without reservation, it was that good.

Room Tip: I believe because of the layout of the hotel all rooms have street views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
oakville
Reviewed 23 April 2014

For your next trip to Montreal, look no further than this incredibly beautiful property in Old Montreal. Just minutes from downtown with the BEST Customer Service around. I travel to Montreal monthly for 3 nights and there is no other place to stay. The bedding, pillows, towels, spa and XO restaurant are all fabulous. I had the most incredible massage last night. Amazing property. Look no further!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank alwayssunnyhere
Reviewed 14 April 2014

These type of old fashioned hotels are not really my cup of tea. However, the rooms are clean including the carpet, the bathroom is nice and the service is great. They have no Nespresso machines in the room and the Cappuccino I have ordered was undrinkable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Go100go
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is a great hotel with a wonderful spa and nice rooms. It's location is charming and allows easy access to most parts of the city—I walked everywhere even in the cold weather.

The hotel's public spaces have been renovated since I last stayed here and they're not really my taste, but they're fun and seem distinctly Montreal: an unusual mix of Pais, the french countryside, and the 90's. While it's not how I would decorate my own home, this is exactly why I come to Montreal and stay at the St-James. It's as foreign as you can get without leaving northeast North America.

The food is very good, better than most hotel food, but not as excellent as some food in Montreal (I thought the breakfast croissants could have been better).

This hotel is elegant and charming and I'm sure to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo