“Service par excellance!”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #39 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I stayed for one night at Hotel le St-James, and from the minute I arrived in the taxi, The doorman/bellman were right on the ball, addressed me by name after just reading my luggage tag, and I was always addressed by my name from then on out by everyone of the staff. I got a room upgrade to a suite, and WOW! Fantastic suite, and the cleanliness was amazing! Everything was cleaned and polished and well presented in the room and bathroom. A welcome note and chocolates awaited me, after being showed to the room by Christine who kindly showed me things in the room, how they worked etc. and immediatly got some ice for me and some information I had requested about the Spa. The Concierge set up a dinner reservation for me, and presented the info. and address on a card for my convenience. This hotel is definitely top-notch with glamorous decor, fantastic service and great location .

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank lindasp1962
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le St-James

Reviewed 15 July 2009

What attracted us to Hotel Le St-James was its location to historic Montreal, its luxury guest rooms, and its reputation of being the top hotel in Montreal. They exceeded our expectations in all 3! However, I've been left speechless of the 1st class service we received during our trip. Everyone, from bellman to concierge to managers, made us feel unique and special during our first visit to Montreal. A special thank you goes out to Simon from concierge services, who's knowledge on restaurants, wine, and shopping created memorable experiences that made our trip absolutely wonderful. I work in the luxury hospitality industry and fine myself very critical when visiting other properties. However, my visit to the St-James created a wonderful experience of luxury with service. We are already planning on coming back next summer to part take in the local festivals and enjoy the fine dining, which we will stay at no other place then the St. James.

3  Thank bdextravels
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My husband and I had a most incredible stay at the St-James. We went for two days just to get away and relax and to enjoy some great food and wine. The hotel, which used to be a bank, is located in Old Montreal so we were within walking distance of the port, shopping and restaurants. The jewel however is the XO Restaurant right there at the hotel. Chef Mike is an amazing young talent who prepared us a tasting menu that was beyond comparison.

Every detail was attended to at the hotel from the moment we arrived until we left. We plan on returning again in the fall and hopefully stay for longer than two nights.

2  Thank anydog
Reviewed 17 June 2009

The staff are generally very congenial and attentive, though we were disappointed by the misinformation given to us by the travel desk about local museums (i.e. hours of operation).

The hotel's restaurant, XO, has a very strange sense of decor (almost fake-sophistication) and the enormous letters "X" and "O" bizarrely stand in the center of the dining space. The food was utterly disappointing and not of 5-star caliber. We breakfasted in the restaurant each of the 3 morning we were at the hotel, but it was merely for convenience's sake. A previous review that noted items on the adults' room service menu were strange was spot-on; the dishes had very strong, distinct flavors that ruined otherwise simple dishes/plates. Both my fiancé and I were disappointed with the sandwiches we ordered (just a burger!), in addition to the desserts. You're certainly not getting what you pay for in terms of cuisine.

The room was very comfortable and we really had a great short vacation in Montreal. The hotel is very close to a Metro station, which was perfect for our day trips around the heart of the city. Overall, very pleased with the experience at Le St.-James...I'd just recommend dining elsewhere whenever possible.

Reviewed 14 June 2009

My wife grew up in Montreal, we return frequently and have stayed in a good many of the top hotels. Friends who live in Montreal advised that the best in the city is the St. James. We found it to be exactly that. First rate in every respect. You will not be disappointed.

Best restaurants? Toque - 2 minutes walk. Le Pimet Rouge - 15 minutes. Boris Bistro - 5 minutes.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank worldwidewanderer93
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I just came back from our long weekend to Montreal where we stayed at the Hotel Le St. James. What a great experience! From the moment we arrived we were greeted by our names. We were given a Junior Suite that was absolutely beautiful and appreciated being escorted to the room and having all the amenities explained. The only thing I could fault with the room is the small window, but it is a historical building and that is how it was made. Other than that, lots of room, huge comfy bed with Frette linens. The phone systems in the rooms are cool too because you can control the lighting, temperature and many other features Very nice not getting out of bed to turn off the lights. And every night they would do a turn down service where you would get a fancy chocolate and a note describing the weather for the next day. Molton Brown amenities were divine!

Breakfast came with the room and we were able to choose any thing we wanted from the XO restaurant inside. Hands down, best coffee and croissants anywhere! This was also the first time that my husband and I stayed somewhere and chose to eat room service lunch two days in a row because it was THAT good. The hotel also has a great location. I was amazed that we were only a few blocks (I think 2) from the Notre Dame Cathedral. And so close to Old Montreal. It made it so easy to walk around and see the sights.

The doormen were always so welcoming. And the concierge was extremely helpful. There was one in particular that not only helped us with suggestions for restaurants but then asked us the next day how that particular restaurant was. A really nice touch that shows they care about you having a good time in their city.

Went to the spa on Saturday afternoon and we had a great experience. The spa is something to be seen as far as it's decor. We both had 60 minute hot stone massages which were the best I have ever had. As for facial treatments, the "mask" is literally just that and not a traditional facial like I am used to. Next time I will take the 90 minute massage instead and skip the face treatment.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone and we am already planning a visit back this Fall!

Reviewed 21 May 2009

I usually do not write reviews, but I thought I must share the pleasant stay I had at the St. James. Me and wife just returned from a 4 day stay (along with our 7 month old). Each and every staff member went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The concierge service was excellent and they mapped out each day for us in terms of places to visit and restaurant recommendations. We casually asked if we could take Route 7 while driving back to New York and we had printed directions slid under the door of our room when we returned! The XO restaurant had an excellent French breakfast (croissants, eggs) and we were surprised to see that the staff remembered what me and wife ordered the 1st day, when we went down for breakfast the next day. We had dinner once at the XO, and the food was delicious. The appetizers were a very subtle and clever fusion of various ingedients. We live in New York city and have received such excellent service in any hotel in the U.S. The only downside is that the building entrance is not very baby friendly, but we found that to be the case with most buildings in Montreal including tourist atttractions. Would definitely stay at the St James if we visit Montreal again.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family