“Great boutique luxury, but a few hiccups” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #34 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
New york, NY
“Great boutique luxury, but a few hiccups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

The only negatives at this hotel were the check-in staff, and no one told us the XO Restaurant would be closed during our visit, so the breakfasts were spartan to say the least. WHen we arrived, our room wasn't ready & I asked the front desk where the bathroom was - the Asian woman there informed me that the restrooms were closed for renovation, and I'd have to go down the street to find a bathroom. I explained I was 8 months pregnant, yet she did nothing to help me. She could have just told me to go downstairs & use the one at the spa.

Other than that, the rooms are superb - luxurious, unique, with great artwork & comfortable beds. The concierges are top-notch & went out of their way to help us. The bell boys & valet were also excellent as were the maids.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
gulf coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

I had the opposite experience of the previous reviewer. Fatou could not have been more helpful and was kind and considerate and sent emails within seconds of our conversations. She secured a room for us for our 20th anniversary when the hotel was completely booked for several of the days of our stay. I cannot thank her enough for her helpfulness. She had no reason whatsoever to be so accommodating but chose to be exceedingly helpful. For that, I am eternally grateful. Our anniversary celebration was perfect and Fatou was instrumental in that.

We had a few problems with the wireless internet access which shouldn't have been a big deal except we were there to attend the Canadian Open and needed to access the schedule each day which is available only online. The concierge, Simon, went to extraordinary measures to help us obtain the schedules. Both concierges we encountered were unbelievably helpful. We were not thrilled with the restaurant recommendations of Boris Bistro and it's sister restaurant, Harvey; however, both were adequate. All meals that we had in Montreal seemed to be sub par for the value. We had a few very nice meals but all were VERY expensive compared to similar meals in the states, even NYC. Our two favorite meals were at Le Latini and Le Locale, both within walking distance of the hotel. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant but did use the WC after checking out and before our flight home and were very impressed with the facilities. When I am Roger Federer, I will hire the interior designer that came up with the decor in those restrooms! The subway was just a block away from the hotel so very convenient. It was extrememly safe (as was all of Montreal that we could see) , clean and simple to navigate--color coded just like the Paris metro.

The accommodations (Room 605) were spectacular, the room, five star. I believe the room we were in was a step above standard. There was a special anniversary treat waiting for us when we arrived. The housekeeping staff were invisible, from a.m. clean up to turn down service. Two problems with the room were that the tv was so far from the bed that the remote did not work from the bed. We forgave this inconvenience because we didn't need to be watching TV on this trip and most channels were in French. Also, had we spent less time at tennis and more time sightseeing around the hotel I would have been disappointed that there was no real lounge to sit around in sipping cocktails and people- watching. There is a beautiful library with cocktail service from the restaurant but I never saw another person in there so it would have been more like having a cocktail in our room. The bathroom was 5 star and the shower was extraordinary. There was no bathtub which was fine with us. We never saw or heard another guest on our floor in the four days we visited, though the hotel was fully booked. In regard to the complaints about windows and light, we left early each morning and arrived back late each night so the windows really weren't of much value. I believe we had 3 heavily-draped windows in our room and one in the bathroom, all facing other buildings, but it just wasn't an issue for us. I knew in advance, from reading previous reviews, that I needed to bring higher wattage light bulbs and didn't bother. The light and make up mirror in the bathroom were just fine. The bed was five star with white Frett-style linens, sumptuously comfortable.

We were overwhelmed with the beauty, comfort and hospitality afforded by this hotel and will return again, God willing. Thank you to the entire staff and especially to Fatou.

3 Thank lmay
montreal, Quebec
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

I had stayed at le St-James 3 years earlier, so we thought we would stay again for our night off without the kids. I read about a Montrealer special rate on a trusted website , so i called the hotel. I was transfered to reservations, who had heard nothing of this package.they asked that i call the hotel directly the next day. The next day, after being transfered 3 times, I spoke to Fatou, who said she had never heard of this package, then said it wasn't available yet, but that she could get me a good rate. I booked a deluxe room for 220$.
After browsing online, i found the specific details of the package , so I called back to give them the details. Fatou agreed to all I said, but she still had no idea what the package was. So she added breakfast , and offered reservations to XO , the hotel restaurant, which I declined. As i had not received her previous confirmation by email, she said she would send a second email.
Two hours after this, i finally got her first email. The reservation was for the wrong date. I called back to complain : not only did they not know the packages they offered, they got my reservation wrong ! I was transfered to Malika's voice mail. I left her a message to inform her of the situation. She called me back, apologising, saying that the services I had gotten were certainly not up to a 5 star hotel ! I agreed, and she gave me an upgrade and changed the date on my reservation.
THEN she called me back again, stating that the restaurant was to be closed on the day of my stay, for remodeling. That, by the way, was not mentionned on the website. She offered a free brunch voucher , olr that I could keep the inroom breakfast on a limited menu. She did not know what the menu would be however . So 2 days before the restaurant closes, management has no idea what their menu for room service will be ?
She offered to call me back with menu details , so i said yes.
I was trying to get a reservation for 1 night, not plan a wedding !
So here we are, the next day, still no call back ! I just called to cancvel my reservation, no one was sorry, no one cares ! Granted, I am a small client. But i think my situation says a lot about how the hotewl is run!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank lola123
MontrealIndustry, Management at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this review, 19 August 2009
Thank you for your message.
We do apologize for the inconvenience that occurred during the reservation process.
We are sorry that you did not stay at our property and that you could not experience the service.
We understand your intent to take advantage of that «time limited offer» that was published several months ago and no longer available, and that our new employee was not familiar with. We decided to honor the offer to accommodate you as a courtesy and realize that it was not a good idea.
As indicated on our website in the XO section, we are indeed in the process to build a new kitchen and anticipate a restaurant re-opening at the end of September.
We do care about the satisfaction level of our guests and are always working on new opportunities to improve service levels.
Your Comments are appreciated
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

I stayed for one night at Hotel le St-James, and from the minute I arrived in the taxi, The doorman/bellman were right on the ball, addressed me by name after just reading my luggage tag, and I was always addressed by my name from then on out by everyone of the staff. I got a room upgrade to a suite, and WOW! Fantastic suite, and the cleanliness was amazing! Everything was cleaned and polished and well presented in the room and bathroom. A welcome note and chocolates awaited me, after being showed to the room by Christine who kindly showed me things in the room, how they worked etc. and immediatly got some ice for me and some information I had requested about the Spa. The Concierge set up a dinner reservation for me, and presented the info. and address on a card for my convenience. This hotel is definitely top-notch with glamorous decor, fantastic service and great location .

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank lindasp1962
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

What attracted us to Hotel Le St-James was its location to historic Montreal, its luxury guest rooms, and its reputation of being the top hotel in Montreal. They exceeded our expectations in all 3! However, I've been left speechless of the 1st class service we received during our trip. Everyone, from bellman to concierge to managers, made us feel unique and special during our first visit to Montreal. A special thank you goes out to Simon from concierge services, who's knowledge on restaurants, wine, and shopping created memorable experiences that made our trip absolutely wonderful. I work in the luxury hospitality industry and fine myself very critical when visiting other properties. However, my visit to the St-James created a wonderful experience of luxury with service. We are already planning on coming back next summer to part take in the local festivals and enjoy the fine dining, which we will stay at no other place then the St. James.

3 Thank bdextravels
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

My husband and I had a most incredible stay at the St-James. We went for two days just to get away and relax and to enjoy some great food and wine. The hotel, which used to be a bank, is located in Old Montreal so we were within walking distance of the port, shopping and restaurants. The jewel however is the XO Restaurant right there at the hotel. Chef Mike is an amazing young talent who prepared us a tasting menu that was beyond comparison.

Every detail was attended to at the hotel from the moment we arrived until we left. We plan on returning again in the fall and hopefully stay for longer than two nights.

2 Thank anydog
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

The staff are generally very congenial and attentive, though we were disappointed by the misinformation given to us by the travel desk about local museums (i.e. hours of operation).

The hotel's restaurant, XO, has a very strange sense of decor (almost fake-sophistication) and the enormous letters "X" and "O" bizarrely stand in the center of the dining space. The food was utterly disappointing and not of 5-star caliber. We breakfasted in the restaurant each of the 3 morning we were at the hotel, but it was merely for convenience's sake. A previous review that noted items on the adults' room service menu were strange was spot-on; the dishes had very strong, distinct flavors that ruined otherwise simple dishes/plates. Both my fiancé and I were disappointed with the sandwiches we ordered (just a burger!), in addition to the desserts. You're certainly not getting what you pay for in terms of cuisine.

The room was very comfortable and we really had a great short vacation in Montreal. The hotel is very close to a Metro station, which was perfect for our day trips around the heart of the city. Overall, very pleased with the experience at Le St.-James...I'd just recommend dining elsewhere whenever possible.

• 3 of 5 bubbles