“Elegant Small Hotel in Heart of the City”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #39 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 17 September 2009

This hotel is a real gem. It is small and tucked away on a busy corner, but boy does it have a lot to offer. Starting with the doorman Martin, all the way through the entire staff, this hotel aims to please. The lobby is elegant and offers tea and coffee in a gorgeous library. The rooms were amazing -- large and decorated with very old world style in keeping with the building and sleekly modern skillfully mixed in. The bathrooms were stunning with one of the best showers I have ever had. I also understand the restaurant is one of the best in Montreal. Unfortunately it was closed for renovations on our visit, but looked like an extraordinary room and is said to have fabulous cuisine. And the spa is worth a trip even if you opt not to have a treatment there -- it is a gorgeous room worthy of a picture on its own. The hotel is located in proximity to several wonderful restaurants and sightseeing areas. I cannot say enough about this hotel ,and while our stay was short, I plan to rectify that and return for a longer stay to better enjoy the property.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 September 2009

Just stayed at the St.James for 3 nights. Very friendly, courteous staff . I paid a little over $200/night on Expedia, a relative bargain for this hotel. I also received a much appreciated upgrade to a junior suite which was a very nice room. The restaurant in the lobby of the hotel is closed and under construction for another few weeks which is probably why the rooms were inexpensive. No matter. The only time you heard noise from the construction was in the lobby at the front desk which is right near the entrance to the restaurant. I don't know if noise can be heard from the lower floors in the hotel as I was up on a higher floor. Check with the hotel regarding this. The hotel's 5 star status does draw a little "snobby" type of customer, but that is expected. The only problem we encountered was the first night we couldn't get the room to cool off properly although the a/c was turned way down. The hotel sent someone up and unlocked the windows which solved the problem. The other nights the air in the rooms was fine.All in all, great hotel,especially if you can "steal" a room for under$250/night.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank BIGPHUN
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Everything was lovely!!! Rooms & Decor was absolutly marvelous.
Best Housekeeping staff I have ever seen...People are very welcoming and are always there to help you. I will defenitly recommend this property for all business travelers and leisure travelers. The rooms are very spacious with vibrant decor and outstanding amenities.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I am a business traveller, so I am in hotels all too often. I've stayed in hotels randing from 1 star to 5. I have stayed in many 4 or 5 star hotels/resorts that should have not earned their respective ratings. Being a AAA/Mobil guest service trainer, I know about guest service. The Hotel Le St-James is an outstanding guest service provider. It is only because of the htoel's physical attributes (i.e., swimming pool, etc.) that hinders them from receiving the fifth and highlest level. Every guest is greeted by name, escorted to their guest room upon check-in, and pampered throughout their stay.

The rooms have very high ceilings. It feels as though one is sleeping in an old Victorian mansion. The shower has both a handheld shower head and and rain shower. The bathroom is completely marble.

Free wireless internet is provided for each guest room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2009

The only negatives at this hotel were the check-in staff, and no one told us the XO Restaurant would be closed during our visit, so the breakfasts were spartan to say the least. WHen we arrived, our room wasn't ready & I asked the front desk where the bathroom was - the Asian woman there informed me that the restrooms were closed for renovation, and I'd have to go down the street to find a bathroom. I explained I was 8 months pregnant, yet she did nothing to help me. She could have just told me to go downstairs & use the one at the spa.

Other than that, the rooms are superb - luxurious, unique, with great artwork & comfortable beds. The concierges are top-notch & went out of their way to help us. The bell boys & valet were also excellent as were the maids.

Reviewed 21 August 2009

I had the opposite experience of the previous reviewer. Fatou could not have been more helpful and was kind and considerate and sent emails within seconds of our conversations. She secured a room for us for our 20th anniversary when the hotel was completely booked for several of the days of our stay. I cannot thank her enough for her helpfulness. She had no reason whatsoever to be so accommodating but chose to be exceedingly helpful. For that, I am eternally grateful. Our anniversary celebration was perfect and Fatou was instrumental in that.

We had a few problems with the wireless internet access which shouldn't have been a big deal except we were there to attend the Canadian Open and needed to access the schedule each day which is available only online. The concierge, Simon, went to extraordinary measures to help us obtain the schedules. Both concierges we encountered were unbelievably helpful. We were not thrilled with the restaurant recommendations of Boris Bistro and it's sister restaurant, Harvey; however, both were adequate. All meals that we had in Montreal seemed to be sub par for the value. We had a few very nice meals but all were VERY expensive compared to similar meals in the states, even NYC. Our two favorite meals were at Le Latini and Le Locale, both within walking distance of the hotel. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant but did use the WC after checking out and before our flight home and were very impressed with the facilities. When I am Roger Federer, I will hire the interior designer that came up with the decor in those restrooms! The subway was just a block away from the hotel so very convenient. It was extrememly safe (as was all of Montreal that we could see) , clean and simple to navigate--color coded just like the Paris metro.

The accommodations (Room 605) were spectacular, the room, five star. I believe the room we were in was a step above standard. There was a special anniversary treat waiting for us when we arrived. The housekeeping staff were invisible, from a.m. clean up to turn down service. Two problems with the room were that the tv was so far from the bed that the remote did not work from the bed. We forgave this inconvenience because we didn't need to be watching TV on this trip and most channels were in French. Also, had we spent less time at tennis and more time sightseeing around the hotel I would have been disappointed that there was no real lounge to sit around in sipping cocktails and people- watching. There is a beautiful library with cocktail service from the restaurant but I never saw another person in there so it would have been more like having a cocktail in our room. The bathroom was 5 star and the shower was extraordinary. There was no bathtub which was fine with us. We never saw or heard another guest on our floor in the four days we visited, though the hotel was fully booked. In regard to the complaints about windows and light, we left early each morning and arrived back late each night so the windows really weren't of much value. I believe we had 3 heavily-draped windows in our room and one in the bathroom, all facing other buildings, but it just wasn't an issue for us. I knew in advance, from reading previous reviews, that I needed to bring higher wattage light bulbs and didn't bother. The light and make up mirror in the bathroom were just fine. The bed was five star with white Frett-style linens, sumptuously comfortable.

We were overwhelmed with the beauty, comfort and hospitality afforded by this hotel and will return again, God willing. Thank you to the entire staff and especially to Fatou.

3  Thank lmay
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I had stayed at le St-James 3 years earlier, so we thought we would stay again for our night off without the kids. I read about a Montrealer special rate on a trusted website , so i called the hotel. I was transfered to reservations, who had heard nothing of this package.they asked that i call the hotel directly the next day. The next day, after being transfered 3 times, I spoke to Fatou, who said she had never heard of this package, then said it wasn't available yet, but that she could get me a good rate. I booked a deluxe room for 220$.
After browsing online, i found the specific details of the package , so I called back to give them the details. Fatou agreed to all I said, but she still had no idea what the package was. So she added breakfast , and offered reservations to XO , the hotel restaurant, which I declined. As i had not received her previous confirmation by email, she said she would send a second email.
Two hours after this, i finally got her first email. The reservation was for the wrong date. I called back to complain : not only did they not know the packages they offered, they got my reservation wrong ! I was transfered to Malika's voice mail. I left her a message to inform her of the situation. She called me back, apologising, saying that the services I had gotten were certainly not up to a 5 star hotel ! I agreed, and she gave me an upgrade and changed the date on my reservation.
THEN she called me back again, stating that the restaurant was to be closed on the day of my stay, for remodeling. That, by the way, was not mentionned on the website. She offered a free brunch voucher , olr that I could keep the inroom breakfast on a limited menu. She did not know what the menu would be however . So 2 days before the restaurant closes, management has no idea what their menu for room service will be ?
She offered to call me back with menu details , so i said yes.
I was trying to get a reservation for 1 night, not plan a wedding !
So here we are, the next day, still no call back ! I just called to cancvel my reservation, no one was sorry, no one cares ! Granted, I am a small client. But i think my situation says a lot about how the hotewl is run!

8  Thank lola123
MontrealIndustry, Management at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2009

Thank you for your message.
We do apologize for the inconvenience that occurred during the reservation process.
We are sorry that you did not stay at our property and that you could not experience the service.
We understand your intent to take advantage of that «time limited offer» that was published several months ago and no longer available, and that our new employee was not familiar with. We decided to honor the offer to accommodate you as a courtesy and realize that it was not a good idea.
As indicated on our website in the XO section, we are indeed in the process to build a new kitchen and anticipate a restaurant re-opening at the end of September.
We do care about the satisfaction level of our guests and are always working on new opportunities to improve service levels.
Your Comments are appreciated