“Wonderful experience”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #40 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Quiet, comfortable, and elegant hotel with warm service

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le St-James

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Beautiful hotel. Wonderful staff. Tip: Justaposed between old and new Montreal. They were out of all rooms except Junior Suites and up. I told them I did not want to pay more than X and they quoted a slightly higher rate and upgraded us.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stayed for two nights at the Hotel Le St. James in Montreal in an adjoining room-plus-suite. The hotel was really cool, with the kind of boutique hotel decor that I really like: dark and cozy and plush. I like that the rooms are all different too - ours were decorated very nicely - a bit dark though. It always seemed like it was about 6pm, but Le St. James is a downtown hotel in the old quarter of the city, so this is to be expected. The bathrooms were very nice - big tub in one of them which I always appreciate.

The hotel restaurant is expensive but delicious - we all really loved our meal there. Had a bit of a communication problem sometimes but that is Montreal. Service was also above the average, but not by much. I did think the people at the front desk were friendly enough.

The standouts were:
The concierge, Eddy Amoroso. He is a wonderful concierge. He organized a few things for us that I couldn't do myself, and he did that wonderfully. Thank you Eddy!

The spa. I went for a massage because I wanted to see the bank vault that the spa is located inside. I am so glad I did! It was really something special, and the masseuse was a very capable lady, so I left quite happy.

The room service was disappointing, verging on horrible. We are room service junkies, so I know more or less how things should go, but I felt pretty bad for these fellows and for myself because it was very expensive (as always), but they always managed to forget something: coffee cream, cutlery (yes, can you believe it?), a meal, etc. The worst of all was when we wanted to order a dessert after a nice day out. We ordered a brownie and a sundae. It took over an hour to arrive, (our son fell asleep so no dessert for him), and the brownie was so burnt on the bottom that I actually had to spit it out of my mouth. It was literally charred! I didn't bother to complain because it was so late.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay, but I think I might check out other hotels in Montreal before I went back again just because it was pretty expensive for what it was. But it was worth a visit, certainly. The neighborhood is funky, but there are a LOT of homeless men walking around the general area...

I did get a fantastic blowout from a hair salon around the corner called Leopolds. He was so gentle with my hair! It was a nice experience, in case anyone needs great hair in Montreal!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank heavycat69
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We stay at the St. James every year for the Formula 1 race, and it is always an exceptional experience. The hotel is the epitome of luxury and great service. The rooms are beautiful, with the most sumptuous beds and linens ever. This year, we stayed in an executive suite, which had a marble tub and separate shower, molton brown bath products, and over 20 big fluffy towels in the bathroom. The service is impeccable. We ordered our favorite breakfast here, of eggs benedict, every morning, and had cocktails in the library every evening. We were able to attend the ferrari challenge party while we were here, which was a top notch event. I can't say enough good things about this hotel, and it's staff, especially Robert, who was so helpful to us in making our stay happen. We love Montreal also, and can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I have stayed in many five star hotels, but none with service as good as at the Hotel Le St. James. From the doormen, to the front desk clerk (and the absolutely beautiful room keys - not plastic cards) and to the restaurant servers - nothing was lacking. I felt as though I was their most important guest. Very different from the next night when I stayed at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa, though I usually am a fan of Fairmonts.

I stayed in a junior suite which was very large and had very, very good amenities. Every detail was very well done. No scrapes on the walls or dust on the furniture. The bathroom was spacious with a separate and immaculately clean tub and very nice shower. I am a sound sensitive person and did not hear a peep from outside the room, though I was close to an elevator.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank fussytraveller066
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Everything about this hotel was simply divine, I have nothing bad to say about it what-so-ever. It's gorgeous, and it has very well-trained staff, and the food is amazing. It's ramontic elegance, with modern chic added in. Exquisite.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaPrimaDonna
Reviewed 25 November 2009

Simply superb! Couldn't ask for better service or more comfortable accomodations. My wife loved the Molten Brown bath products, our suite was spacious and melded the old and new seamlessly. Situated in an old bank building, Le Saint James features high ceilings (12 feet?) and period architectural details combined with modern amenities...and it all works spectacularly. Well worth the stay, especially if you can get a deal for a little more than $200/night, as we did. And, the hotel's restaurant, XO, is very good.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple