“Wonderful for the price”
Review of Hotel St-Denis

Hotel St-Denis
Ranked #44 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed at the Hotel St-Denis in mid-November in a "budget" room - which means it is smallish, and has only the basics - soap, shampoo - but also a TV, nice steel coffee/tea maker (which means tea water doesn't have that coffee taste), and an ice bucket! (Ice is on main floor). There is an arm chair and armless chair and nice simple table (easy to move if you want to rearrange furniture) that's nice to work at. Also a chest of drawers and night table.
This small historic hotel is situated with walking distance to Old Montreal and the main streets. Fifteen minutes away from the main shopping area, Place des Arts, etc.
The best part is there's a wood (laminate) floor - so there's no "hotel smell". Room is spotless. AND the window opens! Very comfortable bed and pillows. (I was in room 403 - nice room.) Three lamps. Small bathroom with a shower and toilet. Sink is tucked away in the entrance area (like in Europe)In another review I read that there's a club nearby - so ask for a room away from that. The desk staff is extremely welcoming, gracious and helpful and completely bilingual.
A great bargain. This is the hotel I'll be coming to from now on.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor far from the club side. Room 403 is quite nice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Vcommelavie
There are newer reviews for Hotel St-Denis

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I paid 105 CAD a night for a four night stay. I was very happy with what I got for this price.

The room was clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable. The ensuite was spacious and also quite clean.

The reception staff all speak English and they were very helpful in assisting me with all my enquiries.

There is a Metro station quite nearby. There are also many eateries and shops, including supermarkets, located within 5-10 minutes walk.

You need to be aware that this hotel is located in the Latin Quarter. The district becomes rather "colourful" after dark. I would advise women against walking alone. If you are a solo travelling male like I was, be prepared to be offered a whole variety of illegal materials as you walk down Rue Saint Catherine.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael255093
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We booked the hotel last weekend for 2 nights, after searching high and low for a centrally located hotel, that was near everything but not too expensive. The location is not bad, it's near a club, which we already knew at the time of booking, and requested a room in the back. On the plus side, it's less than a couple minutes walk to the UQAM subway station.
The room was small but really clean, and super quiet. Small but clean bathroom, I was happy. I loved the hardwood floors in the room, rather than the usual dirty carpets in hotels.
The restaurant next door had one of the best eggs benedict (florentine) I've ever had.
On the negative side - it seems like it used to be a smoking hotel, and it was quite apparent in the room. But on the whole, will definitely go again, the price can't be beaten.

Room Tip: book on a higher floor, in the back
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is a typical European hotel..I was on the first floor so took the stairs (which I liked) Very small elevators and narrow halls. The room was VERY tiny, you would not be able to fit two people in the bathroom at the same time. However, I like the laminate floors, the bed was super comfy. It was not very soundproof and I was woken by people talking and partying through the night. It is walking distance to simply everything and the price was so reasonable through Expedia. It was listed as a 3 star hotel..I would consider it a 2.5 or 2. For the price and location I would recommend it.

Room Tip: I think the rooms at the back of the hotel would be more quiet...I was on the street side and this i...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Great location 1 block from a restaurant and cafe district. 100 meters from the Berri Metro station and airport shuttle.
Rooms are large with new fit out, large comfortable bed and plenty of room for luggage.
Breakfast in the restaurant next door is of a very high standard.
There really arent any negatives to report with this hotel.

Stay here with confidence.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed for 4 nights here in Montreal, and we had an excellent experience. The room (and the hotel in general) was very quiet, everything was clean and worked well, the staff were friendly and helpful enough. The room was more than satisfactory - the bed was comfortable, the updated wood flooring was clean and aesthetically pleasing (although it might be cold in winter). The wifi worked fine, the TV worked fine, the hot water worked fine. We asked for a refrigerator and received one within 15 minutes! This hotel is located in a University district (UQAM) just one block from a major Metro hub, so it was very easy to get around to anyplace we wanted to go in the city. It was also a doable walk to the Old City, although the weather wasn't great during our stay, so we used the Metro often. There's a very nice, reasonably priced restaurant right next door with a great wait staff. The only downside was that we had to pay extra for parking (at a nearby underground lot) but we knew that beforehand, so no unpleasant surprises there. This hotel was not luxurious, but clean & comfortable and definitely an excellent value for our needs and our budget. We would definitely stay there again on our next visit to Montreal.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed for 5 days and couldn't find anything to complain about. I asked for a quiet room and was given a very quiet room at the back. Everything worked well, the elevator and the A/C and the plumbing and all that. Hot water appeared quickly, no waiting 5 minute for it to work up from the basement or anything like that. Bed was firm and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. As others mentioned, I really liked the updated wood flooring in the room. The carpeting and trim in the corridors has seen better days, but that didn't really affect my stay.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again on my next visit to Montreal.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo