“in the heart of the Latin Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel St-Denis

Hotel St-Denis
Ranked #44 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Oxford, United Kingdom
“in the heart of the Latin Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is a very good place to stay if you want to see the colour and feel the vibrancy of this great city. The Latin Quarter is full of life and has all the amenities you could need. Hotel St-Denis in right in the middle of the UQAM campus, so the area is full of students as well as people looking for entertainment in the many bars, restaurants, theatres etc. The hotel is also very close (10-20 minutes walk) to the festival area and also Chinatown. Someone looking for a quiet time might want to look elsewhere.

The hotel itself is very clean and the rooms are very good. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. Note the language of choice here is French, though everyone also speaks some English. I often found myself in bilingual conversations, where I would speak French until I ran out of vocabulary, then we would switch to English.

I found on my last day there is a nice lounge area in the basement.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave_Cowley_Road

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

this was my second stay at hotel st-denis in the space of 6 years, and the experience was more or less as i remembered it: friendly staff, clean rooms, exceptional location--all for a fair price.

this past visit, i stayed 4 nights, and chose a larger room with separate beds, still at an affordable rate compared with similar hotels i researched. i had higher hopes for a larger bathroom to go along with my up-sized room choice, but again i found the bathroom to be quite cramped and awkwardly arranged, as was my first experience some years ago during my first stay at the hotel. that being said, the room itself was quite spacious with a TV and A/C unit that came in handy during an unusually hot and humid spell most uncharacteristic for the last week of august. the free hi-speed internet was also a nice plus.

having stayed at a different hotel last year, which was not as conveniently located on the subway line, i could really appreciate the prime location in which hotel st-denis is situated, just steps away from the principle metro station in montreal (berri-uqam), with direct access to 3 out of the 4 subway lines. the location is also within blocks of the lively latin quarter offering an abundance of restaurant and entertainment options. st-denis' proximity to old montreal also makes this hotel an ideal choice.

overall, i was quite satisfied with my stay. and what hotel st-denis lacks in architectural, aesthetic charm, it certainly makes up for in functionality and location. i would not hesitate to come back a third time!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
March, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The exterior looked as though it could do with updating but we could have no complaints about the very large room.

The room was spotlessly clean with TV (not flat screen or HD) and coffee making facilities and ample room to move around.

The view left a lot to be desired as looked onto the side of another building. However given its central location and space being at a premium I suppose this is understandable though disappointing.

The hotel offered car parking at a small charge (I think Canadian $18 per day). Don’t expect the parking to be on site – it’s in a public car park with reserved spaces for the hotel just a few yards away.

The location couldn’t be better. Two Metro stations within minutes, bars and restaurants within 2 or 3 minutes walk. Theatres very close. It really was an ideal location for exploring Montreal.

It wasn’t cheap but neither was it overly expensive. I thought it was great value for what we paid.

1 Thank Garry N
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed at the Hotel St. Denis for 4 nights recently. I had read several positive reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel is almost exactly at the heart of Montreal near the intersection of Rue St. Denis & Rue St. Catherine. You can walk to plenty of eating establishments up St. Denis, downtown is just to the West on St. Catherine and the gay village is just to the East. My room was clean, my maid service excellent, and the wireless internet was invaluable. The staff was friendly and courteous to this English speaker. The cost was very reasonable for the room and amenities. I will definitely stay here again next time I visit Montreal.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor and above have less street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I go to Montreal alot and normally stay at the Sheraton downtown. This time I decided to be more frugal and tried out the Hotel St. Denis because I like the Latin Quarter. My son had stayed there with his friend on spring break a few years ago and enjoyed it. The price was right and the neighborhood is electric. There were tons of attractions at restaurants within walking distance. The room was clean and had a very comfortable king size bed, airconditioning, coffee maker, Wi Fi and private bathroom. The remote control was barely functional. The housekeeping staff was exceptionally courteous and professional. On the downside, the security was lax but Montreal isn't a high crime area. The neighbrhood was a little seedy with tons of beggars and a rowdy after hours crowd especially when the disco next dooor (which is thankfully open only on the weekends) closes at 4am and it can get very noisy and rowdy in the alley way in the back. We spent our week there walking to various restaurants and museums as well as Old Montreal, make sure to hit St Paul St late at night on the weekend. I never felt unsafe but by the fifth day I had enough of panhandlers which seem to be ubiquitous in Montreal these days. The city is very artsy and cosmopolitan and international. The trip reminded me a lot like San Francisco. I would definitely stay at the Hotel St Denis again.

1 Thank Bill G
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

If you're looking for the luxuries of the Hilton or a high end hotel, this isn't for you. However, I was very satisfied with my stay at St. Denis from August 18 - 23, 2013. The hotel may need some updating and may be a little "old fashioned", but is was very clean and well kept. The room was comfortable and we slept very well. The front desk staff were very pleasant and polite and very helpful. The location can't be beat! It is a couple of blocks from the subway, which we took everywhere. (The subway is very easy to navigate). There is a restaurant right next door, Pacini, that serves very good breakfast. My favorite breakfast restaurant was Cora on Rue Ste. Catherine (within walking distance). My boyfriend and I have already decided that when we go back to Montreal we will stay here again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

My father and I stayed for a few nights after disembarking a cruise. The hotel is only a block's walk to the metro, the 747 bus to the airport, and the Hop on Hop Off bus tour stop. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and quiet and much larger than I had expected. A separate shower/tub and toilet/lavatory meant we could be using these at the same time. Free wifi and a couple of computers are available for internet access. I would certainly stay again. The price was reasonable, especially for the downtown Montreal area!

Room Tip: Our room was just next to the stairs and elevator, but we noticed no extra noise there.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family