“Not what was advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel St-Denis

Hotel St-Denis
Ranked #48 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Canada
“Not what was advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2007

While this is rated as a 3 star, it is more like a Quebec 2 1/2 star.

I booked through the Montreal tourist office (absolutely fabulous service - always has been) and they spotted a good price (comparable to other 3 stars) that included 2 full breakfasts.

When getting to the hotel I found out there were no breakfasts and there hadn't been for 2 months (with the supplying kitchen closed) - total 5$ / night was removed from the bill (a token for two people and the inconvenience). They had not change their listings with the trourist office in this time and I would not have booked there if there was not some breakfast, a basic expectation for small Montreal hotels and B&Bs.

The restaurent beside the hotel opens late and closes early.

Otherwise desk help was friendly.

Parking is 12$ per night in a garage near the hotel - OK

There is great value in Montreal in 2 and 3 stars not to have surprises

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank Travel-Often-Canada
Ti-Spatzl, Lodging director at Hotel St-Denis, responded to this review, 13 February 2007
It is true that we didn't offer breakfast for a short period of time. The major resson is that the restaurant with whom we were having a deal close on us suddendly (1 day notice). We have made a new deal with Pacini the italian restaurant next door and the breakfast will be on, starting on Monday Feb 19th. It was a little long (builting a new space in the kitchen, training, planning, holidays) and we appologize for the discomfort due to this circumstance. We always try our best to please our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in my winter getaway in January. I'm glad I chose this hotel as it gave me the convenience and comfort that really made my Montreal experience from great to superb! I like its location best, as its literally around the corner (2-minute walk) from the Berri-UQAM metro station, which connects both metro lines and you can get to all Downtoan and Plateau Mont-Royal attractions in a single ride. It is connected to the Greyhound terminal, which is also where the airport shuttle terminates. The rooms are well maintained. They have everything you need, towels, bodywash, shampoo, hair dryer. The bed was king-sized. I paid CAD$75 for the room. It's a great room for this value.

I was initially concerned when I read some reviews saying this hotel was near the red-light district, but I didn't notice such activities. To be fair, I didn't walk around the neighbourhood too much, but between the hotel and the metro station, things look fine, all there is is a university across the street.

Will recommend to budget-minded travellers. If you plan to explore Montreal by public transportation like I did, this hotel is for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank smnlee
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2007

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel St Denis for 12 nights over Christmas, 2006. Overall we found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and extremely convenient for the cafes, bars and restaurants of Saint Denis. Here is our summary:

Pros:
- Great Location - 3 metro stops from main downtown area
- Room cleaned daily
- AMAZINGLY comfortable Queen sized bed (room 217)
- Large (25 inch) television
- Cheerful multi-lingual reception staff

Cons:
- Very noisy (Next room's shower, pigeons at window, early morning garbage pick-ups at building's rear)
- Sheets/towels cleaned using far too much Javel Water/Bleach

There is usually breakfast available however during our stay the breakfast room was being renovated.

Overall if you can get this hotel for around CAD$70 per night you are getting an absolute bargain compared to other hotels in this price range. On this basis it gets our highest recommendation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank UncleTravellingDan
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2006

I spend 70 dollars for a king size bed bedroom. The blanket and sheet and carpeting are a little bit aged but clean. Bathroom is also clean except a little stain on the ceiling near the shower. Staffs are ok and helpful. Pay 12 dollars for parking and it really save a lot of work. Would consider stay again.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank tc2044
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2006

Stayed here for one night. The hotel itself is perfectly adequate: clean, up to date with good internet access and friendly staff. Breakfast is OK. For the price it is very good.

Only thing to watch out for is the location. While it is near all the sights it is one block away from the red light district which has some unsavoury characters walking around it (and using the phone booths to relieve themselves.)

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Red light district next door
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank rabbitman
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2006

I went to Montreal in Sept. 06 the weather was cold and the hotel was cool. It was the first time for me going and my travel mate is a native Montrealan ( I hope that's how you say it ). I did not want to spend a lot and wanted to drive up from Philadelphia so parking was something to consider. I travel a lot and have stayed at very nice hotels and very crappy hotels in different parts of the world. I would say for the price this was a wonderful deal. My room was small to average ( like a room I had in Paris ) with no air conditioning ( did not need it in Sept. but what about July? ). My bed was a full size bed pretty comfy and bathroom was clean ( shower without great water pressure ). Parking I think was $12 dollars (double check price ) you get a parking card to park around the corner (dirty little street but safe parking) then you pay at check out. I must say the hotel served its purpose for me. I wanted a spot that after hanging in the city I could come to and relax in and I found that. It is certainly not a luxury or boutique style hotel but the price and location make it worth trying out. Oh yes I can't say a thing about the staff because I was in and out all the time and paid them no mind other than to say, "bonjour".

Elisha

• Stayed September 2006
1 Thank Philigrl
Windsor, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2006

My husband & I stayed at the St Denis for 2 nights last weekend, we were in Montreal to visit some family and really didn't want to spend a ton of money for a quick trip. Of course, we also didn't want to sleep with cockroaches & crackheads either! This is always a concern when travelling to large cities, price versus class. I have to say that while the St Denis is not an luxuurious hotel it is very clean, conveniently located and reasonably priced. Our only complaint would be the plumbing, when showering, you basically have 2 choices; a cold shower or a hot drip! My husband was particularly annoyed by this but I figured it was a small price to pay for the benefits. We travel quite often and feel fairly well qualified to judge hotels and when I compare the St Denis to other hotels in the same price range in other major cities, the St Denis blows them away! We once stayed at a hotel in South Beach in the same price range and really did wake up to crackheads on the font stoop, left over from the night before! So if you want a affordable & clean hotel, within walking distance of clubs, restuarants & tourists areas, in the downtown Montreal area, the St Denis is excellent choice, if you want more than that, be ready to pay for it!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Find out about good restaurants in the area before you go, reception clueless about this!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple