“Great stay in a good budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Viger

Hotel Viger
Ranked #104 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Berlin, Germany
“Great stay in a good budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in March 2013 and had a really good time. The front desk staff was very helpful in finding parking and was friendly and polite.

Our room was not the newest room and seemed a little run-down, but since the hotel is not very expensive, that was more than reasonable. Everything was clean and well-maintained (and we liked that, at least on the 2nd floor, the housekeeping came around during noon so you could sleep in without worrying that your room wouldn't be cleaned at all). The heating worked very well (which is quite important in winter in Montreal). We didn't try the free breakfast, since it was served between 8 and 9 and we weren't up yet. Our room was out to the back side and it was very quiet, we slept very well in the comfortable bed.
The area does seem a little sketchy, but with this being my 2nd stay in Montreal, I almost feel that every downtown area has something sketchy to it. And the hotel staff makes sure to keep the front door locked, so we never saw any weird people in the actual hotel building. Other than that, it is very convienently located, with the old town only 10 minutes away, chinatown 5 and a metro station 5 minutes away and Rue St. Catherine 10 minutes away (all by foot).

Overall, I'd totally recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel experience at a sensationally low price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lupinchen90
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Customer, Thank you for your review. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Viger. For decades, Hotel Viger has been providing tourists with affordable accommodation in down-town Montreal. We do our best to make sure that our guests have a safe and enjoyable stay. We will be happy to welcome you back at all times.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I've stayed in budget hotels in almost every state in the US and this is easily the best hotel I've stayed in at this cost. The hotel is incredibly convenient to Berri-UQAM metro stop and less than 2 miles from most of the tourist attractions I went to. Everyone on staff is friendly and accommodating. There is always someone at the desk, there is a separate key for front door and your bedroom. The toilets work powerfully.

My room was spacious, well ventilated and the internet was fast and easy to access. Everything was clean and tidy. There was more than enough storage for a week or two's worth of clothing. We had a minifridge. My mattress was very firm and not the most comfortable, but again, I chose where to spend my money. What else do you want at these prices? CanJAD and Mountgrande are nuts, and they almost scared me away from coming here.

Street parking seems very doable in this neighborhood, but pay close attention to the signs.
Lundi is Monday; Mar is Tuesday; Jeudi is Thursday; Vendredi is Friday. Don't get a ticket. There is a parking lot available but we never needed it. The croissants aren't great, but the coffee is nice.

Room Tip: Rooms all start with a 1. 13x is the 3rd floor. 11x is the 1st floor. There are no elevators, so try...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 682MichaelF
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Customer, We really appreciate that a customer would write a review to help clear our name. We are very pleased that you found our hotel well located and affordable. Hotel Viger is located a walking distance from Convention Center and from 2 Metro stations: Champs de Mars and Berri UQAM. It is also a walking distance from Old Montreal, China Town, and Latin Quarter. We are committed to provide our guests with the good service at the best possible rates for this downtown location. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your kind review.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We checked into our hotel around 6 pm and were given Room 108. We dropped off our luggage and left to explore more of the city. Upon arriving back to our hotel my spouse had wanted to use the washroom to use the shower and noticed the toilet was over flowing with water and fecal matter from I would imagine the previous guest's use. I also noticed that there were strange yellow stains on the comforter and upon touch and smelled them, it smelled of urine and also black scuff marks on the sheet linens. I called the front desk to inform them and the agent seemed very upset that we called. And was reluctant to not offer any assistance. I told him we feel uncomfortable at this hotel and would like to check out and speak with him about a refund in lieu of providing basic hotel needs such as a functioning toilet and clean bed sheets. We went up to the front desk and the agent came out. He was very upset and continued to say he had nothing to talk about to us. And he would not refund or help. We were so surprised by his attitude and volitile demeanor. He stated that he did not care about what happened to us and that we should just leave. He was very aggressive. My spouse and I kept our calm composure and was trying to simply ask him to help us and to provide us with a refund. He became so aggressive Where he couldn't control himself and had to walk into the back room behind the door then come out again to continue to tell us he has nothing to talk about with us. We both began to get worried for our personal safety due to his aggressive nature and his body language. I called the police in which they came to speak with him. Even after speaking with the police he was still reluctant to not help us, provide us alternative accommodation, or the refund that was charged on my credit card. So at 10 pm after a snow storm we are stranded in the cold to find accommodation. Do not stay here, ever! We will never stay at anything lower then a three star rating after this experience. I have yet to hear from a manager. And the staff all say they don't know his name? Very sketchy establishment. Feel abused.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank CanJAD

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I don't know where to start. It had to be the worst experience I have suffered in a long time. As me and my boyfriend had no choice but to stay somewhere cheap, we picked this place. Biggest mistake. The toilet overflowed the first time using it and the comforter was covered in dry urine. As we gathered our things to speak to the front desk, he refused to help us. He just told us to get out in a very aggressive manner as if it was our faults till the point where we had to call the police. Then as they couldn't do anything about it we call the credit card company and found out he front desk managed to charge us twice. I don't know if this is some sort of scam or the management writes all these positive reviews, but they are all false. Now I'm emotionally scared from the experience and will hope that karma gets them back for the horrible stay. The rude man needs to get some therapy.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Mountgrande
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed for two nights during school vacation with my daughter. Obviously we know how it is up there in the winter, snow. The hotel manager helped me shovel out a spot to park in. Much appreciated since it was right out front!! (though, I need to read the signs better, I did get towed so they could plow!) the manager also helped me with that. Their customer service is fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel. For the price, location and the people, it's fantastic!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Guest, We are glad that you enjoyed the customer service, the location and the rates of the hotel. Yes, parking can be tricky in Montreal at winter times when new signs unexpectedly appear due to snow cleaning. Even Montreal residents have difficulties with that from time to time. However, the hotel employees always do their best to assist the customers with finding parking. Thank you for your kind review. We are looking forward to having you stay with us again.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

For the price you pay don't expect much out of this place. Not a good place to stay if you are in Montreal for more than 2 nights. Be prepared to eat breakfast some place else, since the included breakfast is really a croissant with some coffee and juice. It's walkable distance to the old port.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ssn80
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Hotel Viger is located a walking distance from Metro stations Champ de Mars and Berri UQAM. It is at a walking distance from Convention Center, Old Montreal, China Town, Latin Quarter, and Saint-Catherine Street. Using the Metro you can easily get to such places as Jean-Drapeau park’s Sainte-Hélène island where the La Ronde is located, and where the Grand-Prix and numerous concerts take place every year; as well as the Montreal Casino. All it takes is one stop on the metro from Berri-UQAM and a short bus ride. You can also take a subway to reach Montreal Botanical Garden and Olympic Stadium, as well as numerous museums. All these places of interest can be easily accessed from the subway stations located a walking distance from the hotel.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

For the past 9 years we've stayed at this charming hotel. Clean and comfortable. Fantastic location 10 minute walk to the Old Port near 2 Metro stops. Breakfast (croissants or muffin, coffee or tea, OJ) included. Free WiFi-internet access. Parking easily available all around hotel. Wonderful and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Double beds room is bigger then then others.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Dimi Travel, We are very happy to know that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear from the repeat customers of the hotel. Thank you for your comments. We will be happy to welcome you again in the years to come.