“A very budget hotel”
Review of Hotel Viger

Hotel Viger
Ranked #114 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This hotel had the hallmarks of a cheap, budget hotel: dim lights, cheap and small bath towels, very dusty under the bed, paper bath mats, and a very firm mattress, all in a pretty small room.

But, the linens were clean, room service came every day, the rooms were very warm in the cold Montreal winter, and the room came with free WiFi and a minifridge, all for a great price! Plus, the location is swell, and most of the staff were very kind and helpful!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nhutchings
Manager H, General Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

We are glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay at our hotel and that you were fully satisfied with our services. We will be delighted to welcome you back in our hotel, shall your plans bring you to Montreal again in the future. Kind regards from Hotel Viger!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed for Montreal Pride. Room is extremely dirty, sheets dirty. bathroom was not cleaned and mold and mildew everywhere. Toilet paper felt like sand paper. Bed was comfy, but hardly slept thinking a cockroach or something would crawl into our ears while asleep. No soap, bath towel clean. Paid high price for this terrible place, not worth 100 worth maybe 20$ when cleaned. Service is poor, they don't care and wont help you. Car got broken into and they wouldn't help us with request. avoid this hotel all costs

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pride13

Thank you for taking the time to complete online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. I hope in the future you decide to give us another chance. If there is anything you may need from us, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I'm surprised there are so many negative reviews for this hotel - we came here and got what we expected: A good, functional budget hotel. Everything was clean. We even had free wifi and a fridge, more than I expect for a hotel at this price. Sure, the bathroom might be small and there's no elevator but you get what you pay for. Staff was friendly and even in the cold Montreal winter almost everything was still in walking distance so the location was great. For this price, Hotel Viger was great!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Please accept a huge thank you from all of us here at the Hotel Viger! We were so happy to hear you had such a great experience. It means the world to us to hear when we have had a success. All comments are worth reading and learning from, even the good ones. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was booked online for a night stay in Montreal with my child, upon arrival I could see the place looked more like a cheap youth hostel than a "hotel". I got a bad feeling at the reception but I was so tired from my trip looking for an alternative after it was booked it wouldn't have been a good idea to cancel.
The receptionist was nice I,ve got to give her that, I got into the room and realised it was dirty (I mean my standard are not high by any means but this was more than I could handle) .. dust on headboards and the lamp and the fridge the walls were dirty the smell was "odd" it went to being too much for me when I went in the bathroom even if there was a "sanitized" seal on the toilet there was some very evident excrement "traces" at the bottom of the toilet... then I looked at the shower to clean my kid after a long day traveling.....there was a rubber mat in the tub and the bottom of the bath had definatly "scum" marks on it then the telephone shower was not fixed (or probably broken) and when I put the water to go up in there (not wanting to give my kid a bath in that thing) water just shot out of everywhere
it was just more than I could take I went to many places that were "sketchy" (hostel in Vancouver downtown eastside in early 2000 I squatted in Europe and went to many cheap hotel in Europe. I finally decided to go downstairs and mention the disgust I had the receptionist was nice enough to let me a couple of keys so I could pick another room I ended up picking a room that was more decent.
The room was too expensive for what it actually was. I would not recommend staying there with a kid.. If the owner would be willing to spend some on improvements (like getting rid of the carpets, new wall paint and a decent thorough cleaning. I mean even if outdated stuff is there if it is clean.. But really not worth the 119$ we paid. This should be a youth hostel not a "hotel" I do not like to put bad reviews and I do not feel good doing so but I think people should get a heads up and know what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first if up to your expectations mostly if you have children with you... May be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank augod
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel was perfect for my trip. There was 4 of us guys that went up for Labor Day weekend and j have nothing bad to say about the hotel. They gave a little breakfast in the mornings all of the people who work at the front desk are super helpful especially the woman. We asked her a lot of questions and she knew where anything was from where the liquor store is(and what to buy there) to where to exchange money in late hours. The room was just a room. There was nothing negative about it. It's not a glamorous place but your not there for that. Your there to see Montreal. The hotels location was super convenient. It was near 2 different subway stops and located exactly between old Montreal and the gay village. I highly recommend this place. And it was cheap too.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was recently in Montreal for working doing some filming and stayed at this crappy place.

first off staff are extremely rude.

We had left the room for a few hours to take in some sites of old Montreal when we returned equipment had been stolen from the room, The manager assured me nobody went down there so it wasnt his problem I got fairly upset him him seeing I just lost a $2000 camera he then calls the police and has me kicked out of the hotel in the middle of the night with my wife and rest of luggage. We have contacted the police and trying to get them to investigate this place

SO WARNING STAY FAR CLEAR OF THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE FLAT OUT THIEVES

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank BoomSoundz
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Review hurts. Hotel wishes, it could reply, but how? Complainer is invisible… No name, arrival date or room number either. Police officers are here to protect the public. Police do not kick anybody “out of the hotel in the middle of the night” for the reasons that complainer alleged. This claim alone makes this anonymous review very suspicious, and casts huge doubts about its credibility.

Neither hotel nor tourism bureau, or police, have report of this alleged complaint against the hotel. Neither hotel nor its employees are under the investigation by the police as alleged the complainer. Hotel has 24/7 monitoring surveillance system, monitoring the premises inside and outside. All events are recorded and can be verified. Moreover, the fire and burglar safety alarm system is connected to the central station, reporting to police station immediately. Most importantly, hotel staff integrity is second to none! All of the employees have been working at this hotel for years, and never was there any single reason to doubt their honesty or good character. Why would one bite the hand that feeds him?

During our discussion with police about this review, the police reminded us that we live in civilized state with civil law. The police also mentioned that if a person falsely accuses someone for some wrong doing that they did not commit, then, this person is liable in the civil court for damages.

It feels horrible when someone decides to slander your good name and accuses you of something that you did not do. Hotel hopes that justice will prevail.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in July and were hesitant bc of the reviews. First the rooms are basic-- which we expected. Nothing special but I wouldn't walk w out shoes or socks. The toilet wouldn't flush a couple times and I had to take the too off to make happen. They do not have a do not disturb sign which I like to have. I don't want anyone in my room. I didn't feel like the door to the room was secure. I didn't fear for my safety, but it made me uncomftable leaving my stuff. The walls were so thin, the people next door woke us up at 7am both mornings (to no fault of their own).

Parking is awful. I refused to leave my car in their lot. Since we were going to the casino anyways we parked there and took a cab back to the hotel. The next night we brought it back and parked about .5 miles north of the hotel on the street where it was nice. However we did get stuck paying 5 CD for 90 mins of parking before it was free from 9pm-9am.

Location- it is quite a hike to the sites you want to see most like Notre dame or anything else. However, about 1 mile northwest is a great bar area. We found some great places to eat and drink there for a good fair price. One place gave us 1/2 liters for 5.44CD. We also liked this area bc just south of the hotel it felt very unsafe-- like do not walk here at night. We walked by during the day and felt uncomfortable. There is a park where it's obvious things are happening that shouldn't be.

So while the people at the hotel are nice and it is your typical budget hotel I would not recommend bc I don't like to worry about my car when I travel.

• Stayed: July 2013