“Just ok”

LHotel
Ranked #19 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
“Just ok”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Staying here on a business trip for 4 days, room was ok, nothing spectacular, staff seemed clueless about any question I had regarding a city and how to get around which was very disappointing. Would I come back here again? I think probably not.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank donaldproperties

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for 3 nights on a business trip. I was staying on the 3rd floor, the roon was spacious (pro), warm (pro). Yet, it needed some uodating. The bathroom in particular. The sink was chipped and it would take forever for the water to drain. The bathtub had some issues too, the water kept dripping.
The armchair showed signs of dirt and my sheets had ink stains.
Pro: the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept.
Pro: the location, it is in old town and it's close to everyting.
Cons.
Aside for the above mentioned flaws in the bathroom and in the room, the great negative comment I have is about their staff.
One morning I left my room at 10 am only to return at 9 pm. When I got to the room, the door was open. I mean wide open. And there was no one in. So I complained to the front desk immediately but they kind of looked at me strange. Fortunately, nothing was missing.
Overall, everytime I had a question about either the hotel or the city they also seemed quite not knowledgeable. Thank God for the internet and my Lonely planet.
Bottom line is.... I am not sure if I would trust this place again...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank kipa76
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our room was very big, with a comfortable sofa and an even better bed (2.20m long, which is fantastic for a tall person like me). The bathroom was also very spacious, with a separate bathtub and shower stall. One of the two lights there was out though, and the shower itself was average.
The hotel tries very hard to be artsy, but it feels like it's stuck halfway between a standard 3-star and and a funky 5-star. There are lots of nice touches, but somehow it doesn't quite come together.
Also, there are three steps outside to the main door, and then five more inside to get to the reception and the lifts. That's a lot of suitcase lifting.
Staff were friendly, but not overly so, as other reviewers seem to have experienced.
We had breakfast included in our rate. There was fresh fruit, pastries, and cereals. More than adequate, but nothing memorable. I asked for decaf coffee, and it was espresso style (very nice), but my partner's regular coffee was of the standard North American dirty dishwasher variety, and he said it wasn't very good.
All in all we had a very nice stay, and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Franck H
Mumbles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Choosing a hotel in Montréal was a tough choice, with so many to choose in various locations. We went with the L Hotel because we had planned out some activities and the hotel seemed to be located in the middle of them. What you can't see on a map is the hills, so the location of the hotel, near the harbour is at the bottom of a hill. We found that a lot of the bars and restaurants were at the top of town, up a steep hill near the mainstream hotels, whilst we were in the historic part of the city, so museums were very close.

The hotel itself was good, the service was impeccable, and the room was a good size with an average sized bathroom. You won't expect many views out of any window, as it is located between 2 streets. The internet in our room was exceedingly frustrating, it seemed we were the farthest away. The description also notes there is a gym, however this is really 3 pieces of equipment.

A quirky hotel, with lots of art on the walls. Expensive drinks at the bar, so we mainly used as a start and stop point to exploring the city. I'd recommend the hotel to anyone who wanted to visit the Historic part of the city, and it was good value compared to others in the area.

Lastly, you'll always find some nice cars outside the lobby!

Room Tip: Not much choice here in terms of views, ideally a room close to the lobby to ensure a good internet...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank RhysBev
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Super friendly & helpful staff, great vibe to this renovated boutique hotel in Old Montreal, fantastic art all around the hotel, not too bad a walk to the Bell Centre.

Rooms tastefully decorated with everything you need, super high ceilings, nice lighting, and comfortable beds.

We needed an early check-in and they were very accommodating.

Breakfast area is nice, you'll find the breakfast to be light and continental, some might think the $15 charge a bit high, but it's fully disclosed up front. That said, it's fresh breads and bagels, fruits, meats and cheeses, fresh juices, granolas & yogurt.

My 13 yr old daughter loved the hotel, I'd stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: We had room 201 which was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jack-pm
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Perfect location for exploring old Montreal and close to the metro to explore other areas of Montreal. The rooms are very comfortable with a choice of pillows for your comfort. The original art throughout is like being in a gallery. I truly appreciated the paintings in my room which helped lead to an air of relaxation (and romance had my wife been able to come with me). Finally, the shower is a hand held variety which scores big points with me :-)

The desk staff were very helpful with my questions, but I did not have an opportunity to interact with other staff or use their restaurant/bar.

Be aware, it is valet parking only. Also the TV screens are smaller than at many other hotels, but the chairs are more comfortable for viewing.

Room Tip: My room was on the street side on the second floor, but was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank chris g
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at LHotel (called Love Hotel by local taxi drivers) near Christmas and had an enjoyable stay. The hotel is very unique; like a modern art museum that happens to rent rooms. The room (2 double or queen beds) was large and comfortable with windows overlooking the main street. The bathroom was good but the only comment is that the sink seemed to be a basic wooden frame; out of context with the rest of the furnishings which seemed to be funky antiques. The staff was helpful and attentive. The location excellent, so close to Notre Dame that I used it as a landmark to find the hotel each day. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family