“What a great stay”

Ranked #20 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Long Island, NY
“What a great stay”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I came to this hotel in the off season of Montreal tourism. Here are some pros and cons.

Pros
-Very quiet! No noise from the street (with the exception of roadwork that started up before I left) or hotel clientele.
-I ordered room service twice and found the food to be OK. But I still advise finding a restaurant. Room service should be a LAST resort.
-Friendly and courteous staff who speak perfect English.
- Conveniently located about 3 blocks from the Square-Victoria metro station and a 10-minute walk to the nearest VIA Rail Canada station.
-Because you're on the border between downtown and Old Montreal, a lot of tourist sites are close by.
-Free Wi-Fi
-Pretty, clean rooms
-I got bed service even when I didn't request it.

Cons
-Contrary to what the hotel's website says, it is NOT in the HEART of Old Montreal. It's actually on the far NW corner, right on the border with downtown Montreal proper.
-Because the hotel is downtown, the streets are DEAD after work hours and on the weekends. So no places to shop or eat out during those times.
-The free Wi-fi network is UNSECURE. So user beware. It also cut on and off on me a few times. But that might have been my own Wi-fi catcher acting up.
-I can't imagine there being any great views in this hotel unless you have a suite. I could see a little bit of the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montreal from my bedroom window though.
-Only one VERY slow elevator. Take the stairs down.

With the cons being of little significance (to me anyway), I would highly recommend this hotel. I also suggest going to Montreal in late April/early May. Not a lot of folks around and the weather was amazing.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank ARTrav81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Burlington, ON
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My eldest daughter and I travelled to Montreal to bring back my younger daughter after her first year at McGill University. After one night squashed into her residence room (trying to rough it and economize!) I logged into her computer and searched Montreal hotels! I phoned Hotel XIX Siecle and got a last minute rate for two nights and we were able to check in at noon that same day. We had a large room at the front of the hotel (fourth floor) with two queen beds. It was heavenly. So much space for the three of us and our luggage! The beds were comfortable and the linens warm and cosy. We like it cool at night so we were able to turn down the temperature overnight with in-room controls. I liked the bathroom very much. The lighting was nice and sparkly and the tub nice and deep. Another comment I read on TripAdvisor said the water wasn't hot enough. I wonder if they realized you can adjust the temperature. The handle turns on/off but there's another slider bar for the temperature. We found the location to be perfect. Valet parking was much appreciated. It's a $22/day charge with unlimited in's and out's. I had parked overnight at the university the night before and was charged $23 for 10 hours of street parking on campus so this was much superior. We enjoyed walking around Old Montreal and ate at several great unique restaurants. We had breakfast in the breakfast room on the second morning. It was so good that we were wishing we had gone there the previous morning as well. The price of $10 per person was extremely reasonable for the beautiful selection. The breakfast room is beautiful and the server was attentive and pleasant. Staying at this hotel saved our three-day Montreal visit from being a disaster and turned it into a very enjoyable experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank anglophile2004
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I'd always wanted to stay in the old town in Montreal, and I finally made it. This hotel is in a pretty old "hotel de ville" style house, with the lobby up a short staircase from the street. The check in was efficient and friendly. The room was large and very comfortable, with a good bathroom and very comfortable bedding. The decor was very tasteful - in keeping with the period of the building, without being pastiche or fussy. The internet worked well. All that was missing was a kettle in the room. Breakfast in the morning was in a restaurant-style room, and was a good continental spread with enough choice.

The location is ideal for exploring the old town, and close enough to the business district.

I recommend this as a very good quality tourist hotel, or a mid-range business hotel for road warriors tired of big-box hotels.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter D
New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Great Staff: they are very friendly and knowledgeable about the city. They are ready to help you whenever you need help. If you only speak English, don't feel intimidated to speak to them in English. They are very good at speaking both French and English.
The hotel rooms are big. Bed's are comfy. The pillows are either to soft or two hard. The square one with the hotel's name on it was a good medium. Bathrooms are clean.
The hotel is located just a couple of blocks from the metro, the Science Museum, Rue St. Laurent, Rue Peel (Rue= Street), and a couple of other popular streets. About mile or two away you can get to Rue Cresent which has a few bars, night clubs, and a Hard Rock Cafe.
Lobby is a really nice area to sit and enjoy a drink, work on the computer (free wifi), and just shoot the breeze with people.
Pizza was great!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Ding
Reviewed 27 January 2009

The staff at this hotel was great, spoke good english and was friendly for the whole stay. Room was very nice size for the price of around 90€ per night. Location is ok, I was in middle of cold winter so used taxi to get around, but based on little walking I got the imperssion that this is really good location during summer when you dont freeze to death by just walking 200meters.

Couple little complaints, my room wasnt exactly quiet, I think the biggest issue was the door wasnt really sound proof and then the pipes made little noise. However the noise wasnt so bad that it would have gotten annoying and id have to go complain. 2nd issue is that it was impossible to seet he television from the bed, so if you are like me who needs little TV to fall asleep this might be a small issue.

Overall I think staying at this hotel during your montreal visit is a decent idea.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank cokeandblow
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 24 January 2009

Using the guidance of Tripadvisor, we booked this hotel and got a great rate on a suite with parking and breakfast included. The hotel is in a great location steps from the famous Notre Dame Cathedral in old Montreal. The hotel itself is beautiful with old world charm - room was huge with great amenities. Service was good with valet parking, bellboy, free newspaper and coffee downstairs in the jmorning, FREE wifi internet. You cannot go wrong with this hotel.

• Liked — beautiful room
  • Disliked — its cold in montreal in january, bundle up!!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank travelingFelix
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Love to stay here when I can, great value right on the doorstep of Old Montreal. Have stayed for business and pleasure iun the past.. Staff helpful and friendly, rooms with vaulting cielings and French provincial furniture for that Parisian feeling, don't like the bar/restaurant but there are many to choose from in the neighborhood even for breakfast. New owners propose to change the name and do a reno but here's hoping it remains an affordable place to stop in a really special piece of North America.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple