“No reason to complain”

Ranked #72 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
College Station, Tx
“No reason to complain”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on July 4. I was a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews, but the location was excellent as was the price. The staff was very helpful especially when I ran into the lobby seaching for information on where to park while my husband cicled the block. The suite was large, clean, and very quiet. Our room faced the courtyard. The A/C worked well. Breakfast was above average for the usual buffet. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room.
1 Thank AggieTourist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just returned from a two day visit with kids to Montreal and stayed in a 1 BR room, which included a kitchenette. We parked the car once ($20/day) and didn't use it the whole time since everyplace we wanted to go was within a 15-20 minute walk. We were able to walk to the Port/Old Town area as well as the Quartier des Spectacles to catch two large festivals which were going on during our stay. Although the kitchenette was sizable, the only cooking utensils were a microwave, hot water heater and coffee maker. The full sized fridge was appreciated, however. There is a very comprehensive IGA grocery store two blocks away, with an array of prepared foods and we were able to assemble a decent meal. The breakfast was adequate and plentiful, although the eggs at these kinds of things are always a little dodgy. Air Conditioning was fairly loud. All in all, if this hotel is the same price as others in it's class, I would chose it again due to the one bedroom configuration, which works out well for a family.

Mexico
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed there twice, first for 4 nights, then after a trip to Quebec for two more. When we arrived, the room was not ready, as check-in was not until 3pm, this was understandable... However, no effort was made by the recepcionist on duty to find if any other room was avaiable at the moment. I am only mentioning this because a couple hours later we returned (around noon) and a different recepcionist, far more helpful and friendly than the first DID find us a room, even after he told us ours was not ready yet.

When we got to the room, it stank a lot... Not from smoke, but from food. We left the windows open and a pot of coffee brewing, just to get rid of the smell. This worked partially.

The room itself was mostly clean, except for the rug, which felt damp or sticky in some spots.

The first day after, the room was not cleaned up. When I went to the front desk to complain, they would only write "no service" next to my room number on their log... Have I not come next morning and directly speak to the manager, would have effectively provided "no service" again than day neither.

The rest of the facilities were nice enough. Breakfast was ok as included in the rate. Vending machines did not work.

Parking fees at 18 dollars daily seems steep, but I reckon that would be a common problem among the hotels in the area.

Location was very good, with only a few blocks away from the Vieux Port, Quartier Latin, the bars and restaurants in St. Denis, and St. Vincent av.

It is also close to at least 3 metro stations, several bus stops and even the central train station. The shuttle from the airport stops right across the street, so location was the best about the hotel.

I only stayed here because the Holiday Inn brand is supposed to have certain standards of quality, but to be honest, I think there are far better alternatives on the same price range in the area. I woul not return to the sam hotel again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vipage
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear vipage,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I am glad that you found our location convenient to Vieux Montreal and other attractions. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your comments about the smell and the rug have been documented and will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to be take into consideration for future upgrades. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided.

Janice A
IHG Care
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed one night in mid July. We needed 2 rooms, and the price and location were good, and since we stay often at Holiday Inns, thought this would be at least adequate. The lobby and breakfast area were clean, and the front desk very helpful and friendly. Parking was easy to get to. We noticed when we were checking in that several bus tours arrived, and that may be part of the problem with this hotel. The suite we had was was a nice size, one room with a pullout sofa and large tv and the second room with a small kitchenette, full size fridge, microwave etc. and 2 queen beds. It seemed to be a bit backwards as the living room area should have been with the kitchenette, and the bedroom should have had a door to close, but it was the other way around. The beds were comfortable. The air conditioning unit was in the "living room" area so the person in there froze while the rest of us in the bedroom roasted. The walls were all scuffed and dirty. The bathroom was clean enough, but the tub floor was very slippery. A previous review said all the door squeaked, and that is true. The location was pretty good, near alot of restaurants and walking distance to St. Catherine, and Old Montreal. I guess for a budget hotel it was ok, but I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear bagladyolg,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We are delighted to read you liked your room accommodations and found our location convenient, the lobby and breakfast area clean. Thank you for your kind words regarding our front desk. They are simply the best. I am very sorry for the unusual set-up of the room and any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We do value the comments we receive from our guests as these help us improve the quality and service that we offer.

Connie D
Mandeville, LA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Spent 3 nights in Monreal in early July. A friend of a friend recommended the HIE in Montreal Centre-Ville. Bad mistaqke.
The lobby looked nice and front desk staff were frieldly and informative. The suite was roomy and very quiet. The kitchen had a full fridge, microwave, coffe maker and sink.
The hotel is about a half mile (1 km) walk to Old Montreal and even closer to the site of the Fesitval International de Jazz de Montreal. The free breakfast included a do-it-yourself pancake griddle and all the usual continental breakfast items including scrambled eggs and bacon.Replenishing of the coffee urns was slow.
In the rooms, the furniture was worn and dated and the walls were in need of painting. At least one light fixtures did not work . The A/C was in the bedroom only. (Our travel companions' room had the A/C only in the living room where one of them slept on the couch after covering it with sheets).
The closet doors did not close and all the doors (bedroom. bath and entry) squeaked when opened and closed - annoying when someone is trying to sleep and you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Although there were 2 large flatscreen TVs, the reception was analogue only and poor reception.
The bathroom shower/tub and floor were quite slippery - almost fell twice getting into the shower. There was mildewed grout in the shower stall.
Although the price was relatively inexpensive at $162/night (+ over 18% taxes!) we expected a bit more from a Holiday Inn property.

2 Thank Kduay
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Kduay,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Quebec, Canada

Orlando A.
Charlton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We booked two nights for the jazz festival and ended up cancelling the 2nd night because we felt so uncomfortable. We had a smoking room which smelled terrible - if you do decide to stay here and are a non-smoker, make sure you specify that you want a non-smoking room. The bathroom smelled like urine, the floor was wet (eww!), and there were small black hairs on the floor. The mattress felt like a boxspring, and the window AC unit was very loud. There were signs of neglect, including chips out of the kitchen counter, torn rug, chips out of the flooring, and dents and marks on the front door and some walls. We slept, but not very well, and couldn't wait to leave in the morning. The continental breakfast was standard, and the Internet worked well. We found a much nicer hotel for a lower price for the 2nd night!

2 Thank Giumesciscotti
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Giumesciscotti,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. I am sorry the cleanliness of the room was a let down and fell below your expectation. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I'm not sure what people are complaining about. I had the best time at this hotel. Due to the Jazz Festival and using my points, I had to make two different one day reservations. I wrote to the hotel and asked if it would be possible to stay in the same room and not change rooms between the two days since there was 4 of us staying in the room. The hotel accommodated me more than I expected. They actually went above and beyond by upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite. Very nice touch!

Staff was nice and professional although at times they were overloaded with requests. Breakfast was great and very convenient. This was located conveniently next to Chinatown and Vieux Montreal. Closest stops were Champ de Mars and Place Des Artes (both on orange line), about 3 blocks away. The green line stop is in a less nice area. I did not walk from that direction, so was not concerned about the location.

Beds and linens were nice and the room was clean and didn't smell. Air conditioning unit was indeed loud. I did not have any problems with the street noise. The kitchennette with microwave and full fridge was great, although having a stove would have been great. There is also a kettle and coffee maker in the kitchennette.

I would stay here again if I was in the area and needed budget accommodations. There were some areas where the rug was ripped or stains on chairs, but other than that I think the quality was pretty good and the location convenient. I do not believe that this hotel has a restaurant, but the breakfast bar (as noted in another interview). Free wifi was good but sometimes intermittent and I had to log in again often. This was not rundown in my perspective at all.