“Don't believe everything that you read....except the negative reviews about this hotel”

Hotel Faubourg Montreal
Ranked #70 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Before we booked at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Montreal, my friend and I read the user reviews and had a good chuckle. We thought that some of the negative reviews sounded nitpicky and unreasonable. Upon checking in, we found that the joke was on us. An overwhelming dirty dish rag odour in the room, hair in the tub, broken living room television and a general uncleanliness were all true as described in previous reviews. I don't have high expectations when it comes to booking an economy hotel room, but I was hesitant about removing my shoes or placing my belongings down anywhere in the room. We were also surprised by cleaning staff who entered the room at 930 AM without so much as a knock on the door. Luckily we were not in any compromising positions when she entered. On the plus side, the continental breakfast was more substantial than the usual cereal and pastries. The location is also central and convenient. In summary, if you're looking for a crash pad/flop house this is the place for you.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Redtips
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Redtips,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to note your positive comments about our location of the hotel as well as the breakfast option. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of product. It is truly regrettable to hear that your stay was negatively affected due to the poor state of cleanliness in your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P

Reviewed 2 March 2014

On a spur of the moment we decided to visit Montreal for a few days. We scoured the internet for a hotel room which could accommodate 2 adults and 3 teenagers without breaking the bank. We ended up at the Holiday Inn Express in the central part of Montreal. The location is very good, not far from Chinatown, Old Montreal, and Notre Dame Cathedral. There is also a Metro station not too far.

The room itself was spacious, with 2 full size beds TV, and a kitchenette. There was also a separate room with a pull out sofa and a large TV. There was plenty of space for 5 people. The room was in pretty good shape, though there was an issue with the shower handle assembly which was loose and needed repair or replacement.

Our problem was with the lack of adequate hot water, and room temperature that we had no control over. Both issues are non defensible. Unlike every other major hotel I have ever been to in the US and the world, with large central boilers providing hot water, Holiday Inn Express goes cheap. Instead they use an electric water heater for each room. The problem with this is electric water heaters are slow to recover after someone has used all the hot water. So, if there are more than a few people in the room taking hot showers, the 3rd or 4th people in line get a lukewarm or cold shower. On the weekend we were in Montreal, the temperature was near 0F, and when it is so cold out the last thing you need is to go back to the hotel, and take a lukewarm shower after spending 5 hours in the cold.

And then there is the room temperature. The room was a bit chilly. The thermostat on the wall appeared to be for show only, because no matter how we adjusted the temperature on it, the room maintained the same chilly temperature. The radiators in the room never even got warm. There are a few possible reasons for this. Either the temperature of the rooms is centrally located by hotel management, which would be inexcusable, or the heat just doesn't work. We were provided with a blanket for each bed, but they were inadequate. We woke up in the middle of the night; a bit cold.

Or was it the drunks in the hallway at 11pm and then again at 1am, shouting and laughing which woke us up? Our child plays sport which requires us to travel frequently and stay in a wide variety of hotels. We also consider ourselves world travelers. It has been many, many years since we have been woken up in the middle of the night by obnoxious, selfish and thoughtless behavior. By the same people.Twice in one night. The doors and walls seem to be lacking some basic soundproofing also.

A few other things to note. There was free breakfast, but it was basic stuff. We have had better at LaQuinta and Hampton Inn. Wifi worked flawlessly in the room, and then was plenty of 120v outlets to plug in chargers . Having the kitchenette could come in handy, though we didn't use it. The view from our room was of the courtyard. We had been expecting a view of the city. My 14 year old described the view as being that of a Russian gulag.

So in summary, this hotel didn't provide what we were needing on this trip; which was a place to get a good nights sleep and a hot shower. On our next visit we will look somewhere else for our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LostinBohol
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear HVACMD2002,

Ben J

Reviewed 27 February 2014

First the pros, the hotel is in great location. You can walk to so many places from there. The rooms are suites and it was great to have some separation when my husband was needing to do a bit of work and I could be in a separate room. Although we didn't cook in it was handy having the kitchen. Although tired, the room was clean and the breakfast was fine.
Now for the cons. When we checked in we experienced several problems, the phone did not work and the remote control for the TV did not either. It took a while to get these issues resolved. Next our toilet flooded the bathroom and fortunately we were able to shut off the water as it took TWENTY minutes for someone to come to our room after we called and water was already escaping the bathroom despite our efforts with towels. The fire alarm went off at 3:10 am which was not much fun on a cold winter's night. And we could definitely smell cigarette smoke in the halls at different times. Yuck!! The front desk always seemed to be understaffed and we had to wait quite a while several times to talk to someone there.
So would I recommend it? Yes if you want basic clean accommodation in a great location. Do not expect great service.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chuckandnance
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear chuckandnance,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I read some sketchy reviews on this hotel (after I booked) and I was very nervous before we arrived...and well once we checked in we were MORE than pleasantly surprised. I wish I had a review (like the one I am writting now) to set the bar straight for me to know what my hotel was all about.

The hotel rooms are great. Kitchenettes, separate bedroom, living room and balcony. Yes the walls need a few paint touch-ups and the carpet could use a shampoo - however the bed and linens were extremely clean as well as the bathroom, kitchen and everything else in the hotel room. (and I am a neat freak!!) I was very cozy here. :)

Old Montreal is about 10 minutes walking distance in front of hotel - and downtown surrounds the rest of the hotel (behind and beside). Free breakfast is great! Yes, paper plates - but quality of food is awesome. Pancakes, eggs, cheese omelettes, sausages, yogurt etc. Didn't feel like we were "without" at all.

I would visit this hotel in a heartbeat.

** Winter Hint ** If you visit Montreal during the winter/spring season - bring your waterproof boots. Sidewalks are wet and slushy. If you're sight-seeing for the day your feet will be wet if you dont have the right boots! :(

We LOVE Montreal!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a kitchenette and ask to not be on a floor with "University Partiers"
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank B-Town_Girly
NatashaFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear guest,

It is a great pleasure to read your review, as you have justly outlined the strong sides of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown Montreal. That being said, the purpose of your review was to share your actual experience, as well as give some hints to those who are still planning their trip to Montreal. We are genuinely happy that you were satisfied with our services.
I allow myself to encourage all of our future guests to choose our property as their next destination, as we do our best to live up to your expectations.
We would like to thank you for this review and hope to see you come back to us soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The hotel is clean and it has all your basic necessities. The room I occepied was like a condo type lay out. It has a living room, kitchen, bathroom & bedroom.
It is quiet and very private. Make sure to booked your reservation with a car parking because Parking at Downtown Montreal is very expensive. You pay at least $20/day. The hotel parking is located underground. If you drive from Levesque St, you turn right from the corner of the Hotel building and turn right again at approximately 20 meters and you can find the entrance of the parking. I think this is the most convenient way if you have a car and not to worry about security and parking spots.
The Chinatown is approximately 2 blocks away from the hotel. When I visited there, there's not much to choose within Chinatown. I would rather explore the center of the downtown instead.
The room is clean and the housekeeper is always prompt with their cleaning schedule. The check in counter tend to be crowded during peak hours, since there is only 2 personnel accomodating the check in.
If you are traveling from US, be prepared to get lost with your GPS since the street names will hardly described on the gadget. Maybe I need some map upgrade or purchased the Canada GPS maps.
There are a lot of restaurants to explore within the area and the street Levesque is pretty much a main street but not congested. Be prepared to detours, since there are a lot of street repairs especially on weekends. Don't worry if your concern of French Language barrier, most Montreal people or Quebecois are fluent in English. They are very helpful and warm people regardless of their ethnic origin. Overall, Montreal is nice to visit...it has relaxed, laid back atmosphere.
I love Montreal and when I come to visit again, I will definitely stay in Holiday Inn Express!

Room Tip: Make sure to booked the room with parking to save money if your are driving. The Levesque Side I thi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
NatashaFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear guest,
We are very grateful for this detailed review of our property. Not only you have shared your experience in the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Montreal but you've also given some tips for those who are planning their future journey. You are absolutely right when you mention special discount rates which include parking (ex. Stay and Park rate). As well, our great location gives the guest an advantage of being in the heart of this wonderful city of Montreal, close to many restaurants and different attractions.
We would like to sincerely thank you for your stay.
We look forward to seeing you return to us soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We are here for a gymnastics competition. This is our first visit to Montreal. My daughter shared a room with a couple teammates and stayed at the competition’s official hotel. I chose to stay downtown where I can do some sightseeing. The Holiday Inn Express is close to both the St. Laurent and Champ de Mars metro stations. I can easily catch the #55 bus to get my smoked meat sandwich or the #747 bus to/from the airport.

I got a room on the 6 floor – nothing fancy, spacious, and clean. Breakfast buffet had good varieties … milk, yogurt, cereals, waffle, omelet, sausage, etc … My daughter came over and visited me on day 3 and told me her hotel room is old and small, out of the way, and already experienced a couple black outs. Her hotel room rate was almost twice as expensive as this Holiday Inn Express and no breakfast was included.

Last thing I want to mention is its front desk. Being a first time visitor to the city, I asked them everything from shopping malls, McGill University, bakeries, public transit info, dining recommendations, supermarkets, etc. Everyone I engaged was friendly and helpful (especially Roberto) … and they gave me direct and no non-sense answers. I enjoyed the city and my stay very much. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Natasha L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear guest,

With a genuine pleasure we all read your feedback. We want to thank you for this amazing evaluation of our service.
I have personally shown this message to all the front desk agents and, of course, to Roberto!
There is nothing more valuable for us in the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Montreal, that a happy guest who enjoyed his stay in our hotel.
We would like to thank you once again! Please come back to us and we will serve you as good as the first time... and we will even try better!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

As I think a few previous reviewers have observed, this place can appear to be a little tired around the edges and in need of some updating.
That said, it is in a good location and represents excellent value for money.
My room had a bedroom, lounge with kitchenette and a bathroom and both the bedroom and the lounge had large TV's. I did not use the kitchen, other than to make coffee, but from the signs it would appear that kitchen implements, plates etc were available from reception.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was a help yourself buffet included in the price.
For the price paid (and lets face it no major city is really cheap!) it would be impossible, in my opinion, to suggest that this hotel was not good value for money.
If I am ever back in Montreal again, I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet, facing the rear, rather than the main street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

We sincerely appreciate you feedback.
Our goal in the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown Montreal, is to always do our best to provide an exceptional service to our guests.
When we succeed - there is only happiness and joy for us all to know that our guest is happy!
As you have mentioned our hotel is very well situated and such services as breakfast always help our customers feel more at home when staying with us.
We will be looking forward to seeing you in our hotel soon, so please come back to us again.