“Don't stay here! Extremely poor customer service.”

Quartier Latin Hotel
Ranked #126 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Every night I had to call reception to tell them to turn the air conditioner and they always had excuses why the A/C was off. One of the reasons was due to the A/C is divided for four rooms and when other room asked them to turn it off, they'd turn it off and you're stuck in a hot room. And they have so many different lame excuses for not turning on the A/C.

Customer service is extremely poor. They didn't apologize for the discomfort I mentioned above and even the receptionist called me "buddy" when I complained.

Do yourself a favour, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank abataras

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I just got back from our stay at the Quartier Latin Hotel. As previously mentioned, it is a no frills establishment.
The gentlemen at the desk were delightful and gave us a no hassle check in/out. They were more than helpful with directions and their English is great. The air conditioning is amazing in the hall- not so much in our room though- it is controlled at the desk but we opened our window at night and had a wonderful breeze. I should also mention that our room faced the back of the building so we had little to no street noise- room 409. The room photos posted here are accurate- our room was quite small, we had 1 queen size bed (fairly comfortable) clean white linens and a slightly dated quilt, a flat screen TV, 1 small table with 2 chairs and a bar fridge- which we were grateful to have as it kept our water and beer cold. The bathroom had a tub shower and the towels were not super soft but they did what they were suppose to do. I don't think that they have daily room maintenance- as our room was not made up for the 2 days we were there. If you spend a lot of time in your room on vacation, this is not the place for you. We only used the room to rest from walking the city and to sleep.
The location of this hotel could not be better. You are surrounded by patios, cute little boutique shops and endless hours of people watching. The night life is amazing! You can walk in any direction and find something to do. The Metro (subway) is literally a block away and super easy to use as everything is colour coded. We chose this hotel because we were able to stay for 2 nights for what it would have cost to stay for 1 in a regular hotel. We would rather spend money on experiencing things not a place to sleep. It was clean and convenient and we had no issues with noise although, there is a "gentleman's club" beside the hotel so the possibility for noise is definitely there.
Before you book here, know what your limits are. If you are a little high maintenance and enjoy the finer things, you might want to reconsider. The hotel served our purposes nicely and you can't beat the price....Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces the back of the hotel to avoid street noise. The hotel has 4 floors and n...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank karmel2305
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Only one good thing about this hotel: location if you are into a lively and young neighborhood. The hotel itself is run down, staff desinterested, rooms are dirty and the breakfast isn't really a breakfast, luke warm instant coffee and a nuked croissant.

But then it all comes down to this: You only get what you pay for. Since this hotel is even cheaper then a Motel 6 don't expect too much.....

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are rather quiet, traffic to the front can be quite loud.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Not exactly a 5-star hotel, but it gets the job done. The location is perfect for the nightlife, although if you are not use to urban street noise, you may have difficulty sleeping. There are no in-room climate controls, however they do offer a mini-fridge, television, and complimentary wifi. Plan to stay here if you are the type who is only in their room to sleep, but otherwise out on the town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jranson
Reviewed 31 March 2013

That place was very cheap, clean and central. Other than that it was too hot and smelled like cigarette. The staff was not very friendly and breakfast consisted of a huge costco muffin or a disgusting croissant. It's perfect if you are looking for someplace cheap to put your head down... More of a student or family hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lyralia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I just returned from a soccer weekend in Montreal and stayed 2 nights at this hotel! I booked through Expedia and got a good deal on the room, I think some people should keep this in mind when they book here, if you want a 5 star hotel and all that comes with it, pay the price and go somewhere else! My room was fine, it was clean, had a flatscreen tv and bar fridge! I was on the 3rd floor so if you don't like climbing stairs you may want to keep this in mind! I didn't have any problems with noise at night although I was up rather late myself so it wasn't an issue, mornings were a little noisy but that's to be expected! This is a fabulous part of town with every kind of restaurant and bar imaginable right there at your doorstep! The Metro is just a couple of blocks away and I purchased an unlimited weekend pass for $12, well worth it! The staff were quite nice to me, the people serving the Continental breakfast in the morning were delightful! I will return to this hotel on my next visit to Montreal! carl

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gatortfc
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I Just stayed at this hotel in January for 10 nights. The price was right at $35 a night tax included and the locations is great being on st Denis. The rooms are clean but small. The TV is OK but high up on the wall. You get CNN and other cable channels.

My main complaint is that I have stayed at this hotel for four of the last five winters and some of the staff are very rude. They act like you are bothering them when you ask them a question and when they serve you breakfast are acting like they are doing you a favor.

OK, I have never left them a tip. Maybe that is why. But if they provided good service I would leave them a tip. I dont think I will stay at this hotel again. Also the owner is very abrupt and not friendly. They are in a service business and should try to be nicer to the customers. I have stayed here 4 times, 10 days each time. I think when I go to Montreal again I should spend a little more money and stay in an appreciative place.

Room Tip: Try to get a bigger room than the average sized room . The rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo