“Phenomenal hotel with fabulous service!”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #8 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Spent a few nights in this luxurious hotel a few weeks ago..Took advantage of the Rainspa where I treated myself to a Tropical massage..OUt of this world fantastic!! Our room was exceptionally big (with two bathrooms, separate living room, windows)! The jacuzzi bathtub was amazing..rain shower with great pressure...huge bathroom!! The terrace on the roof was superb serving great food and the best Bloody Caesars!! The staff was exceptionally good, with first class service! Definitely would stay here again..and again..and again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BanditAngel
MathieuLarochelle, General Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for such a great review! I am thrilled that you have been able to take advantage of our outlets and that you have enjoyed our wonderful RainSpa. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit. Best regards,

Mathieu

Reviewed 24 September 2011

This was a beautiful hotel in a great location in the old part of town. We spent 4 nights at this hotel and loved the room and the bathroom.
We had drinks on the rooftop bar,one evening, which enabled great views of the city.

There was torrential rain on one of the days were there and after we returned to the hotel, dripping wet, we decided it was unwise to leave the hotel for dinner. Unfortunately the Bistro/ Bar was closed for a "private booking" (rather disapponting) so we had little option but to book into the more expensive, downstairs Restaurant. It seems that a lot of other guests were forced into a similar position as the restaurant was extremely busy.
However, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the food was fabulous.

This hotel had been recommended to me by a friend and I would have no hesitation in passing on that recommendation .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SKIpal

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry that you could not enjoy the Suite 701 but happy to hear that you had a great experience at AIX. Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit.

Best regards,

Matheiu

Reviewed 23 September 2011

A perfect location for touring the old city; across from Notre Dame Cathedral. We also walked to shopping on St. Catherine and Crescent Street. Parking is all valet and worked fine; the attendant was friendly and efficient. Check in staff were very friendly; offered an upgrade to a much larger room for $20 but we did not take that. The standard room was a tad small but fine for two people; nicely furnished and a gorgeous bathroom!

We were on the sixth floor so no street noise at all. Very comfortable bed. Did not eat at their restaurant.

Room Tip: As in any busy city try not to stay on the first few floors to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you have been able to enjoy the charms of the Old Montreal as well as the proximity of the downtown. Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Montreal.

Mathieu

Reviewed 20 September 2011

It's our first time in montreal & we really had a great time:) the hotel is a perfect location close to old montreal & the basilica. We stayed at the junior suite of the hotel. The staff is very polite, courteous & helpful. Will definitely come back again!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The hotel is a beautiful property with luxurious rooms. I was upgraded to a penthouse suite, which was stunning. High (15') ceilings, a fireplace, luxurious bath, great work space, attractive city views and more. The option to use either wireless or wired connections was great.
The hotel staff were friendly, professional and helpful.

The Suite 701 hotel

The one trouble spot seemed to be room service.
My first night, I hung the breakfast "hanger tag" over my doorknob but my order never came. I later realized the door hanger was still on the knob, though I'd put it out before midnight.

The second day, I ordered room service for lunch, to coincide with a conference call. They brought my meal, but only after the server had left did I realize they'd not included silverware nor napkin (tough to eat risotto with no fork). After my call was complete, I called room service and they immediately brought up silverware. Only when I went to then eat the meal did I realize they served the "chicken & mushroom risotto" with no chicken. One of my colleagues in another room also expressed that he'd had a disappointment with room service.

Overally, I'd strongly recommend le Place d'Armes - it's a wonderful hotel, but they definitely need to take a closer look at their room service operations.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BarryG
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We arrived for a mini vacation and I'd read some great reviews online re this hotel. Plus bonus was that it's located in old Montreal. The room was a junior suite and it was two floors which was lovely...unfortunately the air conditioner was on the fritz and the staff didn't see capable of fixing it. So we graciously accepted another room which was again very nicely decorated and spacious. Aesthetically this hotel is really good value for the dollar that you'll spend but unfortunately there are a couple of places where it falls down. Namely staff service levels. I must have called down to the front desk at least 3 times in one day about the smell of cigar or cigarette smoke wafting through the vents into the room and each time I got the same response...which was that they'd look into it but the problem never did go away. We tried the restaurant/bar for lunch and the service was sub par at best. Although there were clearly more staff than customers you still couldn't get attention to save your life and practically had to stick out your leg and trip a waiter to get the final bill. Room service fare was cold and not only did the toilet break on our stay but the in room cordless phone didn't work. This will be our last stay here. If only aesthetics were enough.....

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Mymonae
Reviewed 14 September 2011

CCA, our company, organised a one day workshop called Applied Creativity for the Business world in this Hotel .

We have rented the room called 'St-Jacques' and it was perfect for our workshop - The staff is professional and courteous, the hotel is beautiful and the buffet was exactly was we needed.

Here's a little tip for activities occurring during the weekend ; an outside parking is available in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business