“Terrific all the way around”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #6 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
San Antonio, Texas
“Terrific all the way around”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Large comfortable rooms in a beautiful (very) old converted bank in Vieux Montréal. Clean, quiet. Terrific service from the housekeeping staff, front desk and concierge. Suite was a large master bedroom with a king size bed, bathroom with a large shower and whirlpool tub, as well as a living room with an adjacent powder room. All at a very reasonable price. LOVED this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank kelton m
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Kelton M,

We are delighted to hear about the terrific stay you had. We are glad that we were able to meet all your expectations. If you can...visit us during the summer, we have a superb roof top patio.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I went for a week getaway to Montreal and he got a great deal on this hotel. We got an Executive Suite, it's a pretty big room. You have two bathrooms, a small one once you go in, another one in a room where your bed is (which is the master bathroom with a huge shower and awesome bath), and you also have your living room with a TV and fireplace. The only thing I didn't like about that room, was the couch. It's such an uncomfortable couch, they really need to change them. Being pregnant, my positions and limited, so we watched TV mostly in the bedroom, yes there's a smaller TV there. The bed is very comfortable, but what I loved the most are the pillows, you can tell they were of quality.

The hotel has everything you need, two restaurants. The first one, Suite 701 specializes in mixology, there's some food, but we didn't try any so I can't judge. But my husband says they make great drinks.

The second restaurant is Kyo, a Japanese bar where they make amazing sushi. Ok, I had one kind, California Rolls (can't eat raw fish either) and they were amazing, totally satisfied my craving.

They have Valet parking, but be warned, it's 28$ a day. We didn't know, saw it when we checked out. But hey, no stress of parking your car right? :)

Everything is in close proximity, about 6 minutes. lol For restaurants I mean. You're 6minutes from China Town, you're 6 minutes from Saint-Paul, you're really at the center. Oh, and you're 2 minutes from the church, and SAQ. And I'm not talking about driving, it's in walking distance.

the people are really friendly, and your room is always cleaned (unless you leave around supper time). You can take a taxi to the Casino (recommended), won't even cost you 20$.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kimey1980
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Kimey1980,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. On behalf of the entire staff at Le Place D'Armes hotel & Suites we would like to congratulate you for the bundle of joy you are expecting. We are truly sorry we made you or the baby uncomfortable during your stay. I will look into the quality of the couch in question in the room you were assigned to. We are glad that you were able to retreat in close proximity to most shops and restaurants.

We hope to be able to accomodate you again soon and this time with an extra occupant in the room!

Warmest regards,

New York, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My partner and I got a junior executive suite with a balcony for his birthday weekend. The suite looked quite a bit smaller in person than it did in pictures but was overall pretty nice for a more upscale hotel, especially the large bathroom. Great shower. The staff was very friendly and accommodating (even brought us a microwave when asked) and when a bachelor party next door started getting rowdy at 3am, the staff was ON IT. (I didn't complain, but someone else sure did.)

The location is great if you want to be in Old Montreal, which, as first-timers, we thought we did. But we'd probably never stay in this area again. It was very touristy, the nearby shops were way expensive, and a bit out of the way to other areas of interest not served by the Metro. Not the hotel's fault. We just know what we want from Montreal next time.

Definite first world complaints here but I was splurging for a birthday weekend: The bed and bath linens and bathrobes were really scratchy and cheap. The soaking tub was nice, but definitely not that roomy and the jets kept cycling on at weird intervals. We couldn't use the electric fireplace because the motor was distractingly loud. Not a lot of outlets.The hotel staff came in to clean despite the do not disturb sign on the door. Twice. Once opening the door while we were still in bed. Sleeping at least. Hooray for the door chain lock. All in all, we probably won't stay again. It just wasn't for us.

Room Tip: If this was the room recommended to us by other users, in the newer building, than I guess we lucked...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scifigirl
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear scifigirl,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Le Place D'Armes Hotel & Suites with fellow travellers. I am delighted to hear that the staff met your expectations and were able to offer what you had requested. Being in the Old Montreal the hotel and surrondings definitely attracts many tourists, however it is also very popular for the locals. Hoping to see you again in the Summer months!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights in the heart of Montreal's winter, and we absolutely loved it. The rooms are beautiful and unique, with hardwood flooring, antique fixtures and a bathroom straight out of a Hollywood film. While it is not the closet to St. Catherines street, where a lot of the bars and the shopping district is, we loved how it was situated in the heart of Old Montreal, where all the beautiful architecture lives. If you go, I highly recommend making the 10 minute walk to a restaurant called Modavie, which has fabulous food and even better live entertainment - although you may have to make reservations if you plan on going on the weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank samantheanne
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Samantheanne,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed Le Place D'Armes Hotel & Suites, charm and character. Modavie is definitely a great local restaurant and we are glad you enjoyed that also during your visit. Hoping that you will be able to visit us and see what Montreal has to offer in the warm summer months.

Summerland, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and loved the character and location of the building. The bathrooms were very "modern vintage" feeling. The room was quite clean and the bed was comfy.

Lots to see within walking distance. Two downfalls to this hotel (very minor) parking is very limited and they gave us a "free" coupon for two drinks at the bar (which was great) but they are for $11 max and all of the drinks were more expensive than that (so not really "free")

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank erinandkai
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear erinandkai,

Thank you for sharing your review, we truly appreciate it. We are glad you had an amazing stay. I do apologize that we did not take the proper time to clairfy our services with you. We do offer a guaranteed valet service to all our guests, and this service gives you in and out access to the vehicule at all times during your stay.

We hope that we can accomodate you again soon, feel free to contact me directly.

oshawa
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Mu husband and I stayed here this past weekend and I have to say I'm totally disappointed. We booked a jr suite with balcony 3 weeks in advance, the confirmation email described a spacious room with lots of brick walls. Well upon walking into out room we were surprised to see no brick and an average sized room at best. The bathroom however is phenomenal as well as the balcony. The rest of the room left much to be desired.
When called by the front desk to ask how the room was i explained that I wasn't pleased with the lack of brick walls seeing as that was part of the reason we booked this room, I was told there were no rooms left with brick walls and offered an upgrade to a suite with brick walls for an extra $20.00 daily. On top of the $28.00 per day for parking and the already over inflated price of the room to begin with, we declined.
Our room was not cleaned on day 2 either. I kept thinking they would come since we we're out and about all day, no such luck.
Make sure you don't untuck the blankets from the end of the bed because the sheets don't fit properly and you'll be touching the less than desirable mattress.
Upon checkout when asked about my stay I explained the room wasn't cleaned and we weren't happy with the room I was told well "jr suites don't have brick walls" when I said my confirmation email tells me there is lots of brick walls I was told "I know. I will have to talk to the computer guys about that because none of our jr suites have brick walls."
I am beyond less than satisfied that there was no compensation or discount offered for the fact that what we booked and told we were getting doesn't even exist! I would never pay to visit this hotel again.
It's a shame because so much of it was wonderful...the bath, the shower, the balcony, the location itself...the lobby.
Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank rolowalsh
Dear rolowalsh,

A sincere thank you for having taken the time to discuss the concerns mentionned in your review. I am glad we were able to speak and that I was given the oppurtunity to properly compensate you, as we should have done when you were contacted by our reception.

Again my most sincere apologies for not having you experience the true Le Place D'Armes hotel & suites accomodations and services we are usually recognized for.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We did not rent a car for the weekend and it turned out the correct move, you are in walking distance to Old Montreal area and next to the Notre-Dame Basilica, went to the night light show at the Basilica which is done inside the church and is a must see. Back to the hotel I am a heavy internet user and I am listening online to a basketball game and every thing is working fast. I used my kindle online and the internet is fast. My wife loved the room and thought it was very romantic room. The bathroom was very nice as was the shower. They came by each night with two bottle of water and chocolates. The bed was comfortable. They have really good hot chocolate in the lobby at night. Bottom line is this is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business