Hotel Place d'Armes
  • Pool
Hotel Bonaparte(Montreal)
Hotel Nelligan(Montreal)
2,603 results
All reviewsold montrealrain spajunior suitenotre dameexposed brickchocolate covered strawberriesbeautiful hotelrooftop terracebottle of champagneelectric fireplacejetted tubhigh ceilingsturn down serviceperfect locationhuge bathroombeautiful roomhotel bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Let me start off by saying that the staff is great here. Very friendly. Everyone was very nice and my girlfriend enjoyed her spa treatments.

However...

We stayed in a standard room at this hotel. Big mistake. The rooms are fine, the issue here is that they are located above a lounge/restaurant/night club.

Its crazy to think that someone would pay $215 a night to sleep in room over a night club. We wanted no part of the party scene that night and the music was bothering us. We just wanted a good nights sleep. Did not happen.

The staff was great and we were able to change room but we could still here the music in the other room.

Anyways, what a joke.

Im sure the suites are very nice but if your budget is around $200 then DO NOT STAY at this hotel, go elsewhere or spend a little more for a better room as far away as possible from the resto/club.

6  Thank MarcLMtl
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here just this past weekend for 2 nights and just loved it. The staff are just absolutely amazing, so friendly and very helpful. My husband and I stayed in the junior executive suite with balcony on the top floor, it was facing the back of the hotel which made it very quiet. We never heard any street noise whatsoever. We had ordered breakfast via room service our last morning there and it was wonderful, arrived when we asked it to and was hot.

The room is smaller than what the picture portrays but still a great room. I absolutely loved the rain shower (which I read in other reviews some people complained about because it didn't have pressure it was more like a trickle) this shower head is designed to simulate rain...not a pressured shower head...so it lightly falls on you...which was super relaxing. My husband used the jetted tub, which at first the jets didn't work and we had to call the front desk and they were on it. Literally 2min later someone from maintenance fixed the problem. Very prompt.

We asked the concierge where a few good pubs were and he was very helpful, gave us a map and great suggestions.

The valet was also very helpful, got us a cab very quickly and on our way with a super friendly attitude.

I never tried the restaurant or spa, so I can't comment on those.

I loved the location it was close to so many restaurants, cafes and tourist attraction points.

I've read some of the not so great reviews on here...and I can really only chalk some of those up to people didn't research the hotel they were going to and that they expect to be treated differently because of their own self sense of entitlement.

I always read reviews of hotels before I go there. That's how I knew this place didn't have coffee makers in the room..if that was something super important to me I might have considered going elsewhere..but it wasn't...cause I can walk outside and go to one of the many cafes they have and get a coffee. There is also no mini bar fridges...as an FYI, but we never asked for one..and I'm sure they probably would have brought us one had we asked. If you prefer a room that's super quiet...then ask for one when you book. There is a certain onus that has to be on the guests as to what constitutes a good hotel stay for them and they can't expect the hotel to just know what they want. They can just try to be as accommodating as possible (which this hotel definitely was).

Room Tip: Get a taxi that will agree to a flat rate, I never experienced it, but from what I heard some shady taxis will sometimes take advantage of tourists.
5  Thank Vanderswife
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Vanderswife,

Thank you so much for your very detailed and honest review. We pride ourselves in making sure that each guest is treated and receives the best service we can offer. All requests guests may have are noted and honoured as best we can. Each room is indeed equipped with a minibar, however maybe you missed out on it as they are well hidden esthectically speaking in the room, they are mostly located in a cabinet within the working desk. We hope that we can accomodate you again in the upcoming summer months.

We are very happy that each staff was able to do all they can to make your stay was as memorable as possible.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I've stayed at Le Place d'Armes 4 times now. Three times in the Executive Suite and once in Le Petite Suite. Every stay has been fantastic.

The rooms are huge by Montreal standards and very reasonably priced. The suites I've stayed in have walk in showers that are huge with rain head as well as a hand held sprayer. Both also had very large lovely tubs that also had whirlpool capabilities. The master bathrooms themselves are very large, and an additional powder room bathroom is available in the Executive Suites. Robes and slippers are available in the rooms as are bath salts. I forgot my toothpaste on the last visit and they were able to send up a sealed toothbrush and toothpaste to save the day!

The beds are very comfortable and the Executive Suite has an additional TV in the bedroom area. While it is an open concept, there are double doors that you can close to have privacy for the bedroom.

The bedroom has 3 roomy drawers, and two closets. I've found that far too many hotels now skimp on drawer space. Additionally, the living area has 4 more drawers, 2 of which are very large. A third closet is just inside the door, perfect for your winter coats and boots.

Wireless internet is available with a high-speed option. Valet parking is also available. And there is a pool table and some additional board games available in a room just off the front entrance.

The staff is excellent. From the valet parking, to the front desk, to the housekeeping, all are approachable and more than willing to take care of my special needs.

The Rainspa is lovely and offers massage as well as manicure and pedicure. The manicure was great and they also offer shellac nail polish. The restaurant, 701 Suites, has an eclectic menu. And on Sundays they have been having a DJ which is an interesting change of pace.

As lovely as the hotel itself is, the area of Montreal, the Old Port, is even more so. The hotel is a very old building that has been beautifully renovated inside, but has kept it's historical feel. Less than a block away (and visible from some rooms) is the Notre Dame Cathedral. A beautiful old church that offers tours and special events. The hotel is about 4 blocks from the waterfront and a little more from the Science Center. The area has many tourist shops and restos.

The Montreal conference centre is right down the hill, a block away. The Metro is about 2 blocks, but much of that can be walked inside.

I simply love the change this hotel offers over the more modern hotels. It has all the amenities, but with a charm and welcoming feeling that isn't as easy to find.

We're hooked.

Room Tip: Building 2 and 3 (although all are the same hotel and connected) have the larger suites.
5  Thank Tim P

Dear Mr. Tim P,

We thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experiences with fellow travellers. We are honoured to have you returning with us each time while in Montreal and we are always more than willing to accomodate any needs you may have.

Hoping to see you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Large comfortable rooms in a beautiful (very) old converted bank in Vieux Montréal. Clean, quiet. Terrific service from the housekeeping staff, front desk and concierge. Suite was a large master bedroom with a king size bed, bathroom with a large shower and whirlpool tub, as well as a living room with an adjacent powder room. All at a very reasonable price. LOVED this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank kelton m

Dear Kelton M,

We are delighted to hear about the terrific stay you had. We are glad that we were able to meet all your expectations. If you can...visit us during the summer, we have a superb roof top patio.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I went for a week getaway to Montreal and he got a great deal on this hotel. We got an Executive Suite, it's a pretty big room. You have two bathrooms, a small one once you go in, another one in a room where your bed is (which is the master bathroom with a huge shower and awesome bath), and you also have your living room with a TV and fireplace. The only thing I didn't like about that room, was the couch. It's such an uncomfortable couch, they really need to change them. Being pregnant, my positions and limited, so we watched TV mostly in the bedroom, yes there's a smaller TV there. The bed is very comfortable, but what I loved the most are the pillows, you can tell they were of quality.

The hotel has everything you need, two restaurants. The first one, Suite 701 specializes in mixology, there's some food, but we didn't try any so I can't judge. But my husband says they make great drinks.

The second restaurant is Kyo, a Japanese bar where they make amazing sushi. Ok, I had one kind, California Rolls (can't eat raw fish either) and they were amazing, totally satisfied my craving.

They have Valet parking, but be warned, it's 28$ a day. We didn't know, saw it when we checked out. But hey, no stress of parking your car right? :)

Everything is in close proximity, about 6 minutes. lol For restaurants I mean. You're 6minutes from China Town, you're 6 minutes from Saint-Paul, you're really at the center. Oh, and you're 2 minutes from the church, and SAQ. And I'm not talking about driving, it's in walking distance.

the people are really friendly, and your room is always cleaned (unless you leave around supper time). You can take a taxi to the Casino (recommended), won't even cost you 20$.

3  Thank Kimey1980
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Kimey1980,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. On behalf of the entire staff at Le Place D'Armes hotel & Suites we would like to congratulate you for the bundle of joy you are expecting. We are truly sorry we made you or the baby uncomfortable during your stay. I will look into the quality of the couch in question in the room you were assigned to. We are glad that you were able to retreat in close proximity to most shops and restaurants.

We hope to be able to accomodate you again soon and this time with an extra occupant in the room!

Warmest regards,