“Great Location, great value”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #7 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 25 April 2010

This is a boutique hotel located at Le Place D'Armes which is in Old Montreal. It is located approximately one block from a Metro station and about one block from the Notre Dame Basilica. If you head north a few blocks, you're in the heart of Old Montreal where many shops and restaurants are located. A few blocks from the Metro station is Chinatown where you can find inexpensive and quick eats.

Because Montreal has such a wonderful Metro system, staying close to one is a convenient starting point to other areas of the city.

This a modern, attractive, hotel in a historic building. There are plenty of staff at the lobby available to efficiently and kindly get you checked in and are comfortable speaking English with you if necessary. There is a very bustling, trendy bar on the first floor. Although we stayed on the second floor, it was surprisingly not so bad. I did hear some faint beating music but definitely not loud enough prevent a good night's rest.

The room was a standard room with a king sized bed. The ceiling was high and flooring was dark wood. The room was clean and the bathroom roomy. The only complaint I would have would be that the cleaning staff were quite late. Once we got back at 5pm and our room still hadn't been made yet.

Rainspa:
adequate/no frills spa
has a steam room
2 bathrooms with a very small shower and no hairdryer.
Masseuse Genieve very friendly and did a great job.

I definitely would recommend this hotel. For $150 cad/night, it was a great value.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,523)

Reviewed 6 April 2010

Stayed here since we loved the nelligan in montreal and this is owned by the same group. Had a fantastic experience the first night, beautiful suite, spa tub, rain shower, fireplace, comfy king bed and even the pull out was very comfortable and beautifully set for the kids ( we have three). Decided to come back again after 2
day stay in Quebec city. The temperature in the room was 84F. After calling downstairs and having someone come up, he said it should
go down shortly. Well at 11 pm it was at 81F and felt like a sauna. The nice young lady downstairs, the only one on duty, said
there was no one to fix the heat or to prepare the same Type of room for us(it was not clean). She offered a two double bed room on a different floor to keep the kids comfortable. We carried the sleeping kids, aged 1, 4 and 6, to another floor, what a scene that was! The temperature in the original
room never dropped past 79F. In the am when I went down and explained to a much incresed staff what happened they said it does happen sometimes and they are sorry. I tried to tell them it was very inconvenient and was definitely not the experiewe expected. I thought they would offer something to make up for the trouble. They have not until I asked if they would do something. After talking with the manager, the young man offered
a 20% discount on our room rate.
Definitely appreciated it, just wished they had offered it on their own, without us having to ask. We are
not the type to want something for nothing, just wanted a
comfy and peaceful stay like the first time.

1  Thank Bbear332
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I stayed at the hotel mid week Feb 16th and 17th with some female members of my family for our anual spa getaway. The concierge gave us some great suggestions before we arrived. The valet and door man greeted us as soon as we pulled up and started unloading our bags for us. Check in was quick and easy and the gentleman was friendly and accomodating in finding two rooms for us on the same floor. The Rain Spa was very relaxing and we all enjoyed our services. We ate at the hotels breakfast one night for dinner and it was more than expected, the service was great and the food delectable.
We only had two issues durring our stay. First we had charged the spa serviced back to our room and even though I had left a credit card for incidentals with the desk they locked us out one of our rooms. The girl at the desk that night was not apologetic at all and informed us that it was the only way she had to contact us. Well clearly she didn't try calling the room as we were in the room left to visit our other room and came back to be locked out. I had to go down to the front desk get a new key, go back to the room to get my credit card for her, and then back down to the front desk. The same girl checked us our in the morning and when we informed her that the jets in our tub didn't work she didn't apologize for that either. It doesn't take that much effort to say "oh I'm sorry".
Beyond that on employee everything was wonderful, we all felt completely pampered. Lesson of the story is aparently don't charge anything back to the room or you will be locked out.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2009

My wife and I recently stayed here for a conference. My conference was at the Sheraton Centre Ville, but I was much happier to stay in the old city, as there were more restaurants and nightlife in this part of town. Montreal is such a compact city, that walking into the financial center from this hotel was only 15-20 minutes. For those planning to stay in the downtown central core/financial district, it seems to largely shut down at night. The hotel had an excellent free wine and cheese service 5-7 pm and a large breakfast buffet for free.
The staff were always helpful. We had a 5th floor room, with excellent up to date furnishings and a huge bathroom/jacuzzi tub. My only complaint about the room was not enough lighting.
Considering the location, freebies, and excellent style, it was a bargain.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I spent two night in a king comfort room. My room had a fireplace which was electric so more just a decorative space heater than a fireplace but interesting element to the room. The space was large including the bathroom and shower. The decor in my room was modern bit felt a bit dark to me. I saw another room by the elevator that had exposed brick walls which looked more inviting than the decor in my room. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful and the staff is extremely nice and helpful. My only negative experience was with one room service order that they lost and it took a second call and a full hour from the original call to get the order but it was an error by the restaurant AX more than the hotel. All other room service orders we easy and fine. There is a fire station near the hotel and one night it was silent, another night three sirens went off as the truck left on a call. I was not bothered by this since I already live in a noisy city but some people may have an issue with it. In fairness the sirens are not blaringly loud and all in all I would book another stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank rubyredtoo
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Special thanks to Rene, the fabulous concierge, who faxed all my tickets to me in NY, as I had left them behind in my room. Ask for daily updates of what is on in Montreal, printed direct from his computer. Computers with internet available to all. Rooms are clean, comfortable and the service is fabulous. Location is great. Price is a bit high, but worth it.
Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2009

I stayed at Le Place d'Armes Hotel for 3 nights in October 2009. This hotel embodies Montreal - ultracool and sleek, while maintaining its roots in Old World charm. All of my friends who stayed here were equally impressed. Unlike other reviewers, I encountered only the warmest and most inviting service. Everyone was more than willing to go out of their way just to make things more convenient and comfortable for me. I had a flawless experience and will definitely stay there again. Merci!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple