“Wonderful!”

Ranked #11 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Square Phillips.

Pros:
The hotel is very clean and well kept
The kitchen has everything needed for a short stay.
The staff is always eager to address any concern.
Nice roof top terrace with an awesome view and relaxing jazz music.
Clean and stocked laundry facility.
The free continental breakfast is adequate.
The location of the hotel couldn’t be better: it’s close to absolutely everything!

Cons:
The Wi-Fi is by far the worst I have ever had in a hotel.
The shower curtain has to be placed just right and held down in order not to flood the bathroom floor.
The terrace should be smoke-free.

Overall impression: if we ever need a hotel in Montreal, this is where we will stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Caroline G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were happy with our stay here, which was suggested by a friend. The hotel is in a good location, and while rates weren't cheap, the price was okay, for downtown Montreal.

Our room was massive, and had a full kitchen. I was very nice to arrive and find the table already set for a meal for us--very welcoming. A continental breakfast is included in the rate, and you are invited to bring the food back to your room if you like, which was another nice touch.

Our view (inner city parking lot) was not very inviting, and the lights from the parking lot intruded into the room all night, but that was the only flaw in an otherwise marvelous stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the parking lot if light will bother you.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MaryMargaretNZ
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 13 July 2013

great hotel. Nice, large rooms. Convenient location - 10 m walk to old town, 5m to McGill U and 5 m to all the theaters. Great for families - rooftop pool, self-serve laundry on site, and full kitchens in suites. The only quip i is breakfast. It is continental - pastries, coffee, fruit, cereal and yoghurt, and incredibly crowded - long lines and no tables...

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for the Montreal Jazz Festival. We are two women from the Washington, D.C. Area that decided to go to the Jazz Festival this year. We were quite impressed with this hotel. Check in was quick and the front desk personnel were polite and professional and friendly which made us feel quite welcomed as this was our first trip to Montreal Canada and the Jazz Festival. What a great start! We were equally impressed with our room. A huge hotel room with a full kitchen and a gorgeous bathroom. Our room faced a huge parking lot but we could see the Montreal de Jazz sign outside our window and got even more excited about the great music we were about to listen to. As for the breakfast which was included, well we didn't wake up early enough to catch that as we were out late for the music. Our room was cleaned every day and on our first night one our curtains would not close all the way so we woke up to bright daylight in our faces....not good. But, as we were leaving to go to the festival we ran into the room supervisor and my friend explained to her our problem with the curtain. It was fixed when we returned to our room later that night. What customer service! I loved the fluffiness of my bed and I even docked my iPod in the radio to listen to even more music. It was also fun to watch the French television on the nice flat screen tv. The refrigerator was so sparkly clean that I needed sun glasses when I opened it! All you need to cook your own meals is provided. They even had a shopping list of food for you to choose as they would shop for you and bring it to your room. I have stayed in hotels all over the world but this hotel is one of my top 10!! We are planning on going back for next years festival and we WILL be staying at this hotel. It is 2.50 blocks from the entrance to the festival and near some fabulous restaurants. The hotel has an Italian restaurant but we did not have a chance to check it out. Right across the street is their hotel bar which was quite nice and I loved the R&B music they were playing. I wanted a nightcap and the desk clerk had told us about it. I had two glasses of wine that I thought was over priced when I got my bill, but lesson learned( not to drink there again). Outside of that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and Montreal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Trvlnlite516
Dedham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We read a lot of reviews, and we selected Le Square Philips for our family trip (6 persons including 2 toddlers and 2 grand-parents) in Montreal. We chose a two-bedroom suite with actual doors closing the bedrooms to let the toddlers sleep.

The room was wonderful. It was huge with everything we needed: a full kitchen!, a big bathroom with bathtub, a big living room with space for the kids to wander around, and a huge dining table for 6 people. The room was very clean, and the toddler crib was in the room upon our arrival. It was quiet on the 8th floor.

The location could not have been better. Right in downtown Montreal, it was next door to the Jazz Festival, McGill, and the underground city. We walked 15 minutes to the old port to see the fireworks on Canada Day. The subway is very close as well at Place Des Arts or McGill.

The indoor pool is on the roof. The pool area was heated but not the pool itself. Our kids still loved it. The room had free wifi, and we had a free breakfast, which was pretty good with diverse choices. We appreciated that they had 3 types of coffee: strong, mild, and decaf.

The staff was very friendly. The parking is easy as well, as you just drop the car in front of the hotel and give the key to a valet. There were hand-sanitizers everywhere, which is handy when you have kids.

We usually never stay at the same hotel when coming to Montreal, but we will definitely come back to le Square Phillips from now on.

4 Thank lucasarn
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This Hotel is fantastic. I read many reviews and researched where to stay and was not disappointed. The hotel is spotless and has a very refreshing feeling. The breakfast is more than ample. The pool and deck area fantastic. The location is great. Walking distance to shops, restaurants, and attractions. We were 7 nights and extremely comfortable in our King studio. I highly recommend the hop on/off bus tour.

2 Thank daitravels
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 9 July 2013

i hosted in Square Phillips with my family for 6 nights in the beginning of July and it was perfect.
The Hotel is a flat with hotel service.The room was big enough for 4 of us.It has a full equiped kitchen,with oven,microwave,fridge,dish washer,tableware...The bed was great!!! And it has a breakfast included.The breakfast was fine,with breads,juices,waffles,fruits,yogurts,cereals.Was missed salty things like ham,cheese and eggs.But for us was enough to start the day.The hotel has a pool,a laundry,gym and a terrace.The location was perfect! We can walk for almost sightseeing spots.People of front desk,was very friendly.They gave treats for my daughter,lovely.
I highly recommend this hotel.It's not a luxury hotel,but it has everything we needed.

Room Tip: I asked for one apartment at the higher floor.I stayed at the back the building,it was very quiet,ho...
1 Thank Kriza38