“A gem in the old city with top notch service”
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #9 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Jersey City, New Jersey
“A gem in the old city with top notch service”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I returned last week from a three night stay at this wonderful hotel. We loved the location and the decor. The front desk staff is genuinely attentive and accommodating, going out of their way to exceed expectations. The concierge that was on staff (Moude) was absolutely delightful and highly knowledgeable about the city. She made several excellent restaurant recommendations and since my husband and I are foodies we were definitely able to appreciate them. We experienced a noise problem on our first morning due to garbage trucks that came by the window to pick up trash around 6:30am. We notified the front desk and were upgraded to a suite on the other side of the hotel where noise wasn't an issue. We had a great time in Montreal and vowed to return when the weather is warmer and when we do, we will certainly return to this wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: Stay in a room facing the front of the hotel. Not sure how often the garbage truck problem occurs on...
1 Thank TheSupers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed for two nights in a "Romance Suite". The room was exceptional - large, luxurious, and absolutely beautiful decor. Very comfortable bed and bedding but had a difficult time sleeping. Black out draperies are required rather than the wood blinds with sheers and I will be asking for a room on a higher floor during my next stay (we were on floor 2). Saturday morning I was woken by garbage trucks at 6:45am and then again on Sunday at 6:30am by someone dumping large quantities of glass into the garbage. Despite this, I would very glady stay the next time I am in Montreal.The staff was very helpful, attentive and friendly. Our room service breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid street noise
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Nelligan is a boutique hotel situated close to the waterfront in the Vielle Ville of Montreal. Well designed public areas, with an atrium rising all the way to the top and a bar on the roof, add to the ambience and the rooms - particularly those with Baths are large and well appointed.

The gym maybe a little small for energetic people ,but all in all a great hotel for couples.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Ottawa
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed at the Nelligan on a recent trip to Montreal -- I had heard very good things about the hotel but was disappointed during my stay.

The Good:

- Beautiful beautiful room -- really very charming with attention to detail, very cool decor and an old-school vibe. Really loved the feeling of walking in to that room every day.

The Bad:

- When I travel on business, a simple requirement is the ability to use WiFi access in my room. Failing that, the ability to hook my laptop up to the wired connection. Imagine my surprise when I check in, unpack, plug in my laptop and find that the WiFi code and service doesn't work. At all. I call the front desk a number of times, they tell me it is working fine. It isn't. They then send up two members of the housekeeping staff, neither of whom had a good command of English or French it would seem, to fix it. They basically fart around trying to plug a cord in to my laptop. Still nothing. This continued for 20 minutes. Still no service. Finally something happens and my Internet flickers to life. They leave. It konks out again. "No internet service available". I call the front desk who tell me it is working. No, it isn't. Guess who comes back? The housekeeping staff who walk in, speak to each other in Spanish, shrug and leave. Fail.

The breakfast was gross. It was a tired looking continental breakfast that was way overpriced for what you got. "Come again" said the waiter. No thanks, I thought.

Best part of my experience here was checking out.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CanadianTraveller30
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Before we got out of our car we were greeted by the porter who took our bags from the trunk - The front desk staff was friendly and professional - We were offered and accepted the 25 dollar upgrade for a mini suite with a fireplace - We were given 2 complimentary cocktails and the bar staff was great - they have a very nice continental breakfast or you can order off the menu - I would return here every chance I could

Room Tip: we stayed in room 217 and did not hear noise from the bar or restaurant
1 Thank odonnellwj
North Haverhill, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The Hotel Nelligan in truly a gem, located in the Old Montreal section of the city. The staff members are attentive and accommodating, the rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. The hotel offers a terrific bar area, the complementary cocktails are a nice touch too. The hotel is footsteps from some of the finest restaurants in the city, several museums, and of course the waterfront. My wife and I have already booked a Spring getaway weekend at the Hotel Nelligan.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This hotel is right in Old Montreal, We had a mini-suit with fireplace. Nice room.
We went in January so not as busy as in the summer months but lots of lovely christmas decorations to see, outdoor rink, many fine places to dine. Hotel was nice, service was very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple