“Perfect for Couples!!”
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #6 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I cannot stay enough good things about this hotel so I will keep it short! This hotel has a rustic romantic feeling, my girlfriend LOVED the fireplace in the room and LOVED the rustic brick wall. The rooms were Huge and staff very friendly. It felt like no one was around us when at this hotel - I had chocolates and flowers get sent to the room to surprise my girlfriend as we were out getting a massage - everything went perfect! The beds were very comfy and the location was right in the heart of old montreal. It wasnt a long walk to the train station so we got to the bell center pretty darn easy! I CANT WAIT to go back here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,265)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We enjoyed,our second stay here in mid Feb. at the Nelligan business as usual means magnificent. This establishment is great for couples.and business..The staff is beyond excellent.,No point in going on. Simply superb.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The Hotel Nelligan is location is excellent in the middle of Old Montreal with very good restaurants, art galleries, shopping and history of Montreal at the door. The downtown shopping district, including the underground shopping mall is only about 30 minutes walk away. Our room was a good size and very comfortable. The downstairs lounge was a relaxing place to hang out and the Hotel's Merchant Boeuf Bar Brasserie was the "happening" place to hang out with funky bar, live music on one of the nights and the best vegetarian burgers we have ever tasted! Can't say enough good things about the hotel staff who are friendly, helpful and engaging to a person. We loved our visit to Montreal and our stay at the Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend February 2014. We like to stay at boutique hotels, and although in the past we've stuck to Hotel Gault, on our last trip we tried Le Petit Hotel and decided to try its sister hotel Hotel Nelligan.
The location is amazing, and I'm sure even better in the summer...I'm taking one star off for the inconsistent service and the general rundown feeling that surprised us. Mathieu and the staff at the front desk on our first night were great, but the staff when we checked out were unpleasant and argumentative :(.

Our first room was spacious and nice, although perhaps a little tired overall, but my husband noticed that a couple of the window blind slats were broken off. As he's a light sleeper, he called the front desk. The maintenance guys who came to take a look said that they would have to take the blinds down to fix them and probably didn't have the supplies anyway. So we asked if we could be moved to a different room.
Mathieu from the front desk was very apologetic and moved us to a very nice room with a great view, although by then my husband was on patrol for any defects. For a highly rated hotel, the rooms do seem like they're in need of a general renewal, in terms of chipped paint, scratched finishes on wood and carpeting coming loose from the floor.

However, for our stay the room was very nice. The bed was luxuriously comfy! I enjoyed the jacuzzi tub as I've never used one before and we liked the toiletries a lot.

When reserving, we had asked for a DVD player in our room at reservation (we like to laze in bed and watch movies), but after some attempts they couldn't get it to work with the TV. Mathieu told us that we could go ahead and watch the pay-per-view movies, and they would be comped. Later, my husband received an email from another concierge saying that one movie would be comped. So I called the front desk again, and the girl I spoke with said it would be no problem for more than one movie.

But when we were checking out, the woman helping me (I don't know her name but she mentioned she was relatively new) argued with me that this couldn't be so and perhaps only one movie would be comped. I said that I had clarified with two people as I'd been confused...I'm not a very confrontational person and I was uncomfortable having to defend my conversations with her colleagues. She even called over another concierge (I also don't know her name) who rolled her eyes at me and said that the DVD players had never worked with the TVs. I said that it's possible, but her colleagues hadn't seemed to know that.

We ended up just paying the bill and left, disappointed and ready to be home. We felt embarrassed at being made to feel cheap for arguing over some pay-per-view movie charges...

We did receive a lovely email later on from Mathieu letting us know that all the movie charges had been removed and a night comped. I doubt we will be back, although the location was amazing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Nelligan, General Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience and would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from guests as this information is extremely useful when trying to improve our service and facilities/equipment.

We already have DVD stations in some of our rooms and we are presently working on having a few more devices available upon request for the other rooms. As for your thoughts concerning the front desk, we will definitely share them with the team and make the necessary efforts to better ourselves.

Here at Hotel Nelligan, we take pride in the level of service we offer and we do not want this type of situation to be repeated in the future.
Once more, we extend our sincerest apologies and thank you for these precious points you have brought to our attention.

Regards, Guillermo Coronel

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We thought the Hotel Nelligan a great hotel. Tremendous location with a wonderful staff. The facilities were much better than we anticipated, and the fitness center is exceptional for a hotel this size. The breakfasts were fantastic!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This has become our favourite hotel in Old Montreal. The staff are always pleasant and accommodating, the Verses Restaurant offers great food and selection without leaving the building should the weather be inclement and the location is convenient not only to the heart of the Old City but also only minutes from downtown. The rooms are well equipped and the beds are very comfortable; the junior suites offer the spaciousness of a small apartment.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are brighter but can be noisy late at night; those on the west and south sides ar...
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to book a room at Nelligan's for our 4 year anniversary. We heard nothing but good things about this hotel before we booked and we were not disappointed. What made our stay extra special was not just the beautiful location of the hotel, great interior decoration, or even the perfect blend between contemporary and classy vibe, but it was the service, specifically from Mathieu from the front desk. Je ne sais pas son nom de famille, but Mathieu was absolutely excellent. He made our stay extra special from surprising us with chocolate strawberries in our room to accommodating our specific needs when my girlfriend ended up feeling ill and we needed some extra TLC (tender love and care). The hotel was great, but the service, and Mathieu, makes Nelligan's a memorable spot that I will be for sure to revisit. 10/10 would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple