“Excellent location in Vieux Montreal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
New York City, New York
“Excellent location in Vieux Montreal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This externally unprepossessing hotel on a corner in Old Montreal is ideally located, steps away from the Cathedral and the Place d"Armes.
Inside, the staff are all helpful and the concierges welcome questions and offer advice and make reservations willingly. There are lots of restaurants in every price range and galleries and bars galore right nearby.
I had Room 222, which was quiet and luxurious, with a wonderfully comfortable bed and bathroom, lots of room to laze around, and a Nespresso machine for great espresso anytime! The Internet was free and very accessible.
The roof top bar has a view of the cathedral, good drinks and snacks, and I used it for pre-dinner people watching.
I would certainly return to this hotel when I return to Montreal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Satish_M_12435
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear M.Satish_M_12435,

Thank you for your good words. We are proud to read Le Nelligan, is onto your list of favorites! We are looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future!

Daisy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Staff is beyond nice, I was very impressed. However, I did have a hiccup during my stay that made me not want to go back here this summer. I'll probably stay at another hotel in old Montreal/ old Port. I stayed at this hotel on New Years ever with my boyfriend. Now the lady who I checked in with told me that there was a wedding going on and that it should die down around 1am-2am. My interpretation was that people would be going in and out of their rooms, which I can deal with. To my surprise though this meant that the reception hall was UNDER MY ROOM so my room was literally shaking from the base from the music. When the music started blaring at around 6pm my boyfriend called the front desk and they said they told us when we checked in that their was a wedding.. I was extremely upset because she DID NOT tell me that the reception hall was directly under my room (hence incredible base would be shaking my room). Obviously the hotel was full so they couldn't do anything and they didn't even show any compassion towards our situation. Now we went out for dinner at around 830pm so I had to deal with the noise until then. When we got back around 2am it was still going.. music died down around 3-4am when finally I got some sleep... I just couldn't believe for a hotel rated so well in customer service that this had to happen. On a good note though the hotel is adorable. Room was very very big surprisingly and very neat. We had room service in the morning which was nice and very affordable. Great location to stay in because you're in the middle of old montreal, the Cathedrale is just up the street, the old port is just at the other end of the street. All the shops are just foot steps away. Not so sure I would want to stay during the summer anyways because the desk people said if you are facing the street there will be noise till late at night on like Firday and Saturday nights. Also something that bothered me was when you were in the bathroom you could hear people in the other room. Was very unusual... Overall it's a nice hotel. I won't stay here again but I'm sure you won't experience what I had. All I'm saying is the least they could have done was given us a discount on our stay or something.. anything. I was extremely disappointed because I want to recommend this hotel to people on tripadvisor and friends, but I'm so upset that this happened that I can't. Like I said I'll give you all the details, something like this probably won't happen to you, so it's up to you to decide... But personally I feel like the lack of customer service in this situation says something. It's on the pricey, but you get the luxury.

Another note for people not familiar with Montreal.. The closest metro is about a 5 minute walk up the street which is not bad. The metro will take you into the heart of downtown within 5 minutes, all you have to do is switch from the orange line to the green line. view stm.info/en for more details.

Room Tip: if you stay during the summer try to get a room not facing the street unless you don't mind nois...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KimBalaya897
Dear Ms.Kimbalaya897,

I see that you have been pleasantly surprised by many aspects of our business and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to mention despite the major concern that you have met: the noise.

This has been taken into account and evaluations are underway to improve the soundproofing, taking into account the challenge that Old Montreal buildings represent. I understand your reluctance to return after this experience, but rest assured that my team and I are available to ensure you have a personalized welcome for your next visit.

In anticipation of the pleasure of seeing you, please receive my cordial greetings!

Daisy and front office team!
Bradenton, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Despite calling ahead and requesting a quiet room, we were given the fifth floor room directly across from the elevator and adjacent to the roof top bar. Just called and security is being sent for the screaming drunk people. Not quite what i expected. Not happy. If I wasnt in my pjs I would be moving.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank p2a69
Dear guest P2A69,

We would like to thank you for your comments. We always appreciate when our guests share with honestly theirs impressions on their experience with us. We definitely take your feed back as the best way to improve our service and to meet your expectations. We are very sorry if our service in term of room issue was not up to your standards. We sincerely hope to have the chance to see you once again in our property!

Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I count on trip advisor for reviews and read them before going most places. So when this hotel came up near the top of the list for Montreal I counted on it being right. They were. The hotel has that converted warehouse feel. Very contemporary with a nice roof top bar / restaurant. We had a suite and it was very nice. Being that it is in a city it was a little noisy like reviewers said. Garbage was picked up each morning by the city at 8:15 am. So if you want to sleep in make sure you get a room away from the alley. Also the roof top restaurant / bar was very busy. So I probably won't want to stay on the 5th floor as people are very loud and having a great time. The bar / restaurant closes at 11:00 pm. There is a good mix of young and old at this hotel which makes it fun and interesting. Also the concierge service is excellent. They arranged a lot of things for us. Remember that this hotel owns many restaurants in the area. So make sure you ask before just agreeing to go to a recommended restaurant. There are a lot of fabulous restaurants near by like Holders which is just a few blocks down the street. I would avoid Gaspar's which is owned by the hotel. It is way overpriced for the bar like atmosphere. You get a much better meal at Holders. Breakfast in the morning is convenient and good not great. The meal is the same every day. They seat you in the front bar area not in the restaurant. But if you are staying at the hotel you can buy the B&B option for $10/person + tax and that is a good deal considering the prices of the local restaurants. Housekeeping needs improvement. On two of our 4 nights stay we had to call them to clean our room. The front desk, concierge, and restaurant staff is excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cathy E,

Thank you kindly for recommending Le Nelligan Montreal. I am very pleased to read your comments about the associates and will make sure to share them along with all departments!

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very nice hotel, modern and luxuous rooms. Very good services. Staff was helpfull. Very well situated on St-Paul street, in the heart of old Montreal. Nice art galleries all around. Restaurants, bars and coffees at walking distance. a bit overpriced at my sense. Low speed internet is free, but very slow. High speed internet requires extra $. Valet parking is 30$. All count, its over 300$ for the night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear M.Jeegosse,

Thank you for sharing your positive comment, it's always nice to read that our guests have enjoyed staying with us.
We apologize that you found our rates high. We take good note of this information, but let me just give you some information on how they’re based. They are calculated based on several and identical parameters for all hotels. They usually reflect the services offered by the institution, it’s location, it’s occupancy and of course the period of the guest stay.

Thank you again for your comments and hope to welcome you again at Le Nelligan!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked this hotel as part of a birthday trip for my boyfriend and we couldn't have enjoyed the trip more.

The hotel is conveniently located to many of the main attractions in Old Montreal - we were just around the corner from the Notre Dame Basillica, within easy walking distances to museums and also the train system. There are also a lot of great restaurants in the area.

The hotel and our room was beautiful. Rustic and modern, cozy and charming. We loved the fireplace in the room (it was minus 20 when we arrived!), the spa and the lovely exposed brick walls.

The service from staff was fantastic. They were really welcoming and helpful in directing us where to go and what we could do. The printer near the lifts was a bonus for printing out last minute ticket purchases !

We would definitely recommend this hotel and will be back the next time we are in Montreal !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MW0ng
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Mrs. MWOng,

We would like to thank you for your super comment. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that, the birthday trip went well here in Montreal!
From the entire team we wish you a great summer and we hope to welcome you again at Le Nelligan in a near future!

Warm regards!

Daisy and front office team
sharon pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at The Nelligan in 2010. This stay was May 2-4th. This our second stay was even better. Pretrip the concierge service was excellent. Questions were answered, restaurant reservations were made and a request for a coffee machine in our room was taken care of. We stayed again in room 306 a corner suite. Loads of room with a fire place 2 person jacuzzi tub and large sitting area make this suite a favorite of my wife. Windows THAT OPEN onto a beautiful Old Montreal street make it even better. How many times have you stayed where you cannot open the windows and feel stale. On this visit the terrasse was open on the roof. This spot for 5@7 (happy hour) was great. The cooler breeze was cut by the heaters in the open bar making it feel very cozy. The staff was very friendly especially Remi and Vincent.(Vinny). The white "special" sangria was excellent. Speaking of bars the adjoining Mechant Boeuf made great late night cocktails that you can take up to your room. The food looked fantastic but we were full from an earlier dinner. The space was lively and music DJ were not too loud with a good adult vibe.(not 20ish power drinkers). Back to the hotel. The location is perfect to walk along the river or walk to church at Notre Dame. Rue Paul is an excellent street to feel what old Montreal is all about. Thats Nathalia for all your help.

Room Tip: corner suite well worth the $
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terrapinobx
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear TerrapinobX,

We thank you very much for your feedback. We will share your review immediately with the entire team (front-desk, Chef,) and of course Remi and Vincent at la Terasse
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Le Nelligan!

Warm Regards!