“ARE YOU KIDDING ME??”

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
“ARE YOU KIDDING ME??”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

So I wanted to take my 3 year old son to see cirque du soleil in old Montréal and picked what I thought would be a nice but not over the top hotel, the sister hotel to the Place d'Armes, a hotel I stayed at 2 weeks prior. The room was all that was to be expected, old world charm with new world conveniences; familiar and meeting all my expectations.
What I did not expect was the staff. I am not sure how many people travel with 3 year olds but mine goes everywhere with us. At the end of a full day of travelling, site seeing and of course going to the circus, he was understandably a bit cranky and hungry. We went back to the hotel and walked into what is essentially their fine dining restaurant. In need of martinis, my wife and I were compelled to stay. By the way, the first drink is on the hotel; really.
We were afraid our son would make a ruckus (as cranky hungry 3 year olds sometimes do) so we asked if they could accommodate us in the rear of the restaurant. Unfortunately for them (and why I am writing this review) the place was less than half full. The hostess appeased us with not only a table in the back but what was essentially a whole room away from the other guests - whew.
My son does not eat fine dining (what 3 year old does) but he, being just a little bit precocious, only wanted to eat calamari. Not a beautiful grilled cuttle fish mind you, calmari like you would find at the local family style Italian restaurant that one sees in a strip mall… you know, the doughy little deep fried rubber bands that make you too full to eat your entrée. My wife and I had already ordered our drinks and we were settled in, somehow we would attempt to muddle through.
Luke, our waiter, apologized when we asked for the fried basket of fish (yes, I asked knowing full well that it was not on the menu). A few minutes later and maybe two sips into our cocktails, Luke returned to take our dinner order. To our shock and amazement, he had with him a huge basket of fried calamari! Luke went to the neighboring restaurant to get my now crazily excited child the dinner of his choice. WHO DOES THIS?
After a satisfying meal of oven roasted partridge served with an asparagus flan, a glass of California Pinot and (of course) a few of my kid’s calamari, the family retired back to the room. Exhausted and full, we read our boy to sleep on one of the bed’s soft down pillows. With all good intention, we prepared to go to the beautiful roof deck for a night cap (we had our niece with us to babysit) but alas, the comfort of the bed was to compelling. A prodigious day was to come to completion; we would rise to fresh brewed coffee and a friendly greeting from our host – “how was your dinner last night?”
PERFECT.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Spencer L
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear M.Spencer L,

I am so happy in reading your review. From the entire hotel team, we thank you for sharing your experience with us and thank you for your great worlds!
Hope to welcome you back soon at Le Nelligan, at the meantime, we wish to the whole family a very great summer!

Warm regards!

Daisy and front office team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We loved the location of this hotel - so convenient and we walked everywhere. The room and bathroom were large and the service was great. Only complaint was the VERY loud laundry service down several floors and right outside our window at 12:30 am! We would certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jspmay
Dear Mrs. Jspmay,

We are happy you will return to visit us again and sad you have been bothered by Landry noise from outside our building. We thank you for giving us a second chance, we will make sure to give you a room located in a different area, so you can enjoy your stay!

Warm regards from Montreal!

Cayman Islands
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I spent 7 nights at Hotel Nelligan in a beautiful King room on the 4th floor. We had just arrived from a few nights' stay in New York City and were overjoyed to see the size of this room in comparison. What a wonderful surprise to have space and a place for everything! It had all the comforts of home with complimentary bottled water, chocolates, shower gel, body lotion, shampoo and conditioner in the room, plus coffee and tea in the lobby whenever you want it. The hotel staff were wonderful and went out of their way to make our stay the most enjoyable. The location of the hotel is superb too - in the heart of Old Montreal and just steps away from "all the action", restaurants and shopping. We loved it!

1 Thank GrandCayman
Dear Mr GrandCayman,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to review us on TripAdisor. It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and especially, the room size!
We hope to welcome you back again at Le Nelligan!

Warm regards from Montreal!

New York City
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I'm struggling with giving this chic boutique hotel a four or five star rating!? But unfortunately, I have to have a close to near perfect experience to give five stars! Let me begin with firstly, the excellent, perfect location. Then, the cool,chic, yet extremely sophisticated decor. Thirdly, the friendly, attractive, and extremely helpful staff. Lastly, but not least importantly, the amazingly comfortable, large, and well designed rooms! Oh, I forgot to mention the happening Terrasse restaurant on the roof. Beautiful, decent food, and great views! My only negatives-I called a day early, and a non-chalant front desk person answered, and assured me that my room would be ready at 2.30pm. I arrived at 2.50, then waited 30 min or more before I had to ask the front desk what was going on?! It was a Wed-how hard could it be to accommodate an on time check in!? I don't think anyone remembered that I was waiting, and I had an insect in my room, which wasn't attended to until I told the front desk, once again, the next day. Another day housekeeping didn't service my room, as requested, and I had to ask three times! The good news-the concierge and staff did an excellent job dealing with a serious health issue that occurred during my stay. The Dr they sent me to was excellent, and I got the meds needed, although I was first sent to a clinic where there was a 2 hour min wait, and cost more than the Dr.
However, even my taxi driver they called was extremely professional, and waited until I finished the appointment. Sooooo nice! Thanks so much to the excellent concierge for setting up the appt for me! Most comfy room ever, and it was a 'petite Queen-'
Five or four stars? You decide!

Room Tip: Even the petite queen was extremely large and comfy!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank keentraveler30
Dear Keentraveler30,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for you super review on TripAdvisor. We are happy to read that you have in general enjoyed your stay with us and that you will stay with us again.
Again thank you for sharing your review and giving us the chance, to improve!

Warm regards

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A great three night stay in a superb room, but one that was very dark with very little daylight. We were on the second floor and overlooked the atrium - great in many ways in that there was no noise from the street, but we had to have lights on the whole time we were in the room - felt like night the whole time we were in there!
Location of the hotel is fantastic - within reach of a huge number of restaurants and attractions and this helped to make our stay a real success - along with the helpfulness of the staff at the front desk.
If you you are looking for a hotel in the heart of the Old Town, you could not do better!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors if you want a little daylight - especially if you have a room ove...
2 Thank JohnWD1949
Dear M. JohnWD1949,

We are really glad, you have had nice nights asleep during your stay with us, a little bit sadden, about the lighting in the room. Next time you will say with us we will be happy to show you different rooms!

Warm regards from Montréal!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is our third stay at the Nelligan in as many years and, once again, my husband and I were very satisfied with our stay. The hotel is in the heart of Old Montreal. It is a great location on Rue St. Paul, with many good restaurants and cafes within walking distance. Comfortable, quiet rooms with a classy decor. If you have a chance visit the hotel boutique (clothing, jewellery), which carries a couple of quality brand names (Frank Lyman, St. James) and is a great way to treat yourself before going out to a special dinner. There's also a restaurant (Verses) on the main floor and a terrace restaurant/bar on the 5th floor (which gets quite packed on weekends).

The hotel is starting to need an update in the gym (especially the weight machines) and could use a face lift in the verses breakfast area (where the service in general continues to need improvement). Otherwise, it was a very good stay with professional service in all other areas (especially Sebastian from the valet service, and the front desk staff).

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for a room away from the terrace bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flapi
Dear M.Flapi,

I would like to thank you from the entire hotel team for you nice words on TripAdvisor. It is always appreciated to read that our guest enjoyed their stay with us, and that they will come back to visit us again!

warm regards!

Ottawa, ON
Reviewed 4 July 2014

First of all I give the hotel staff 5 stars. The service was wonderful and everyone we encountered were very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. I would give the hotel a five star review except for a couple of minor things. Our room (320) was a beautiful room with a gorgeous bathroom that had a jetted tub for 2 and a glass shower with a rain showerhead, very nice. Room 320 has a small balcony to an interior courtyard. All you see if you look out the window is another room about 12 feet in front of you. A view would've been nice and this was a little unexpected but not a deal breaker. The two things that I was disappointed with were the fact that there was no coffee in the room and it would've been nice if breakfast would've been included in the price of the room. There is a coffee shop down the street and my husband ventured out to get us some coffee in the morning but it would've been nice if it was available without having to leave the room.

This was a special occasion for us which is why we splurged and stayed at the Hotel Nelligan and I am so glad we did. They even sent up some chocolate dipped strawberries and a note congratulating us on our anniversary which was a very nice touch.

We used the valet parking that the hotel offered. The cost for 1 night was $34.49 which I find a bit pricey but I guess that's what you pay to stay in the heart of Old Montreal.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms face in to an interior courtyard with no view except for other rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Springtime38,

First of all my best wishes for your one year anniversary!
Then, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for you comment that are very helpful in terms of a day to day operation!
We hope to welcome you back at Le Nelligan, and we wish you a nice summer!

Daisy and front office team!