“Clean minimalist professionalism”

Ranked #3 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Boulder, Colorado
“Clean minimalist professionalism”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

By my title I don't mean to say that the rooms (it goes without saying at a place like Gault that they were clean in excess of quotidian cleanliness). The interior design was exquisite. The ceilings are high making the rooms feel exceptionally spacious. With regard to decor: Nothing was extraneous, not even paint. Many walls and floors made do with polished cement. The furniture plays a fine balance between modernist chic and functionality.

One unexpected surprise was that the bed was the most comfortable I have slept on in recent memory. The TV and bath were large but unobtrusive. Let me be clear here: you can open a massive sliding door and watch tv from the tub.

The only downside is that it isn't the cheapest hotel in Vieux-Montreal, but, hey, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hotel Gault and for posting a review of your stay on TripAdvisor about our rooms and your stay.

It is wonderful to read such a delightful review and would like to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Gault in future occasions!

Front Office/ F&B Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2013

This hotel was great, comfortable bed, great amenities.
The room had all a modern traveler is expecting. Ipod docking station, (small) tv with multi channels, spacious powerfull shower.
Friendly staff, modern lobby.
The location is good if you plan to gourmet around the old port. Not much shopping to be done in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlobalCitizen1979
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Gualt.

I sincerely appreciate you acknowledging our associate team as it is with great pleasure that we welcome all the feedback from our valued guests such as yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Gault!

Best regards,

Front Office / F&B Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Beautiful hotel, classy service, truly felt at home with the service of the professional staff.
What made my stay more enjoyable was the sight of snow from the lobby while having breakfast. It was magical.
Our new destination in Montreal no question! maybe on the next snow storm :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony B
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience at the Hotel Gault, your comments are very important to us and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit with us.

I will pass along your kind comments about the team which we are always delighted to hear, and yes indeed the scenery at the lobby when it snows is very beautiful, having big and tall windows all around the lobby gives it a special feeling.

I look forward to welcoming you again to the Hotel Gault on future occasions!

Regards,
Front Office / F&B Manager
Seattle
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We stayed for four nights at the Hotel Gault. Hotel Gault is a very nice boutique hotel in Old Montreal. The metro at Square Victoria is very close so there is easy access to all parts of Montreal. Old Montreal is a nice neighborhood to explore the boutiques, art galleries, cafes and restaurants as well.
The building is a lovely turn of the century building. The rooms are well-designed, stylish and understated. The bathroom was very clean and the amenities, bathrobes, slippers and toiletries were very nice. The turndown service and bottled water was a nice touch too. The bed was very comfortable and overall the room was very quiet. There was one night where there was a private event Christmas party going on in the lobby and the sound did travel up to our floor but it soon subsided. There are only five floors and maybe 6 rooms to a floor. We felt like we had the place to ourselves. The staff was courteous, professional and bilingual. Check-in and check-out was very smooth. Hotel Gault is an elegant, well-designed, quiet hotel. When we come back to Montreal we will definitely stay at the Hotel Gault.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank mchutch
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Hotel Gault.

I am delighted to read you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and their amenities. I apologize for the sound from the private function we held that night.

Your comments are very important to us and we welcome your feedback as it's the most effective way to improve in all areas. I will pass along your kind comments to the rest of the team as they are always delighted to read such comment from our entire valued guest such as yourself.

I look forward to welcoming you again to The Hotel Gault in the future!

Front Office/ F&B Manager
Yarmouth, Maine, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This a wonderful hotel with a wonderful staff. Melissa and Jean-Christophe and Jonathan and André and Marie-Philippe and Luisa and Albert each gave me personal and friendly attention for my every need. I had many things to think about during my stay there and they all provided support that was especially valuable to me. I am sure that all the other members of the staff are equally wonderful.

I do want to call particular attention to something Albert did that was especially beautiful. I was checking out. I had decided that instead of driving back to Maine I would drive west to Canton NY to visit my high school baseball coach, Jake Dillon, whom---though I had spoken to him on the phone many times---I had not seen in person in many many years. I asked what the best way to get onto Route 720 heading west was. Albert printed out a map and used his pen to make arrows to show me how to do this. And then he did something extraordinary. He looked me in the eyes and said: "Mr. Hobby if you should get lost call me. I will get in my car, find you, and make sure you get on the right path." This was a gesture from the heart of great generosity and it moved me deeply. Merci Albert.

The next time I am in Montreal I shall stay at the Hotel Gault for sure. La prochaine fois que je suis à Montréal je vais certainement rester à l'Hotel Gault.

Richard Hobby
Yarmouth, Maine

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Richard H
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Dear Mr.Hobby,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripAdvisor about your stay at the Hotel Gault, I remember your kind comments shortly after you departure. I will pass along your kind comments to our associates that are always very delighted to read such pleasant feedback.

We are committed in providing that Gault personal touch to all our valued guests such as you and the feedback we receive is always very important to us. I would like to take this opportunity to wish you on behalf of all us at the Hotel Gault a happy new 2013!!

We look forward to welcoming you again to the Hotel Gault to exceed your expectations on future occasions!

Santa Monica
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Most boutique hotels that take this level of care with design aren't as warm and hospitable as Hotel Gault. Situated in Old Montreal in a gorgeous building (late 1800s/ early 1900s?) this hotel really makes one feel at home. Beautiful rooms, high ceilings, comfortable beds, front lobby is also a restaurant/ bar (depending on the time of day), 24 hour room service menu, excellent service (conscientious and really, really friendly without being saccharin). I'm not sure I'll be able to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank freshmonkey
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about the Gault Hotel.

I am delighted to learn you had enjoyed your stay at the Gault Hotel! We are very pleased to of had the opportunity to surpass your guests expectations during your stay, I will pass along your kind comments to all of our associates that are always delighted to hear and read our guests comments and feedback. we look forward to welcoming you again on future occasions!

Front Office Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Great Service - hotel staffs are very friendly, very helpful. Apparently they clean your room twice a day too?

Great Room - I was in a studio room right above the hotel lobby. High ceilings, large walls, great design overall.

Great Party in the lobby - I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights, and on the second night there was a party at the hotel lobby. I was on the first floor, right above the lobby, and they were kind enough to share their music with me until 2 in the morning. Usually I wouldn't mind music but if you have to wake up early the next morning it might get a little irritating. Earplugs didn't help either as the bass vibrates through your body. If you plan to sleep early, ask for a room on the higher floors.

Room Tip: If you plan to sleep early on the weekend, ask for a room on a higher floor. Due to the studio loft...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Harry C
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your accommodations at The Gault Hotel. I sincerely appreciate you acknowledging our personable and welcoming associates as well as our comfortable rooms.

I want to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced due to the Christmas party that was held in the lobby, it’s a private function that is held once a year and I’m truly sorry you did not get a quiet night sleep. I can assure you that we are not a party hotel and we are constantly working on providing great customer service and comments like you are extremely important to us, the feedback we receive from valued guest , like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure that similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I look forward in welcoming you once again in the future.

Front Office Manager