“Beautiful room and fantastic staff”
Review of Hotel Gault

Hotel Gault
Ranked #2 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful room and fantastic staff”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Gault for 4 nights. One of the best hotel experiences we've had! The staff was so helpful and friendly without being all over you...which I never like. Did I mention the bed and pillows? Just perfect. I will definitely stay there again, next time we go back to beautiful Montreal.

Room Tip: We were in suite 350, overlooking a pretty street. The room was huge and the bathroom set up was per...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the positive review of the Hotel Gault. We were all excited to know that you enjoyed your stay in one of our spacious suites and our staff were able to demonstrate their qualities in a friendly yet professional manner. It is always a treat to know that their hard work paid off and their efforts were recognized. Quite rewarding coming from our valued guests.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community and we look forward to welcoming you back soon in our beautiful city.

Assistant Front Office Manage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 March 2013

In Montreal for a long weekend of exploring the city on foot and eating our way through the simple to the sublime. Hotel Gault made for an excellent base of operations with a clean and modern aesthetic and friendly and attentive staff. We made good use of iDevice speaker dock, a comfortable bed, and well designed storage.

Room Tip: 340 is a basic, but well designed, king room. 220 is much larger with ample bathroom with pretty fre...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Hotel Gault. Happy to hear that we met your expectations while the location and service complimented to your stay.
It is without a doubt that our proximity to Montreal's finest restaurants & the old town's attractions adds to the value of the stay. Also we were pleased to know that our comfortable beds and room amenities were to you likening.

Your kind words were shared with the entire staff and we all look forward to welcoming you back on future occasions.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had a great stay at Hotel Gault and were surprised to learn that the hotel has been there for 10 years, as many locals are not familiar with it. It is stashed on a quiet street near McGill and Notre Dame in Old Montreal. From the moment we arrived the treatment was friendly, personal and sincere and the room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. Closet space was minimal however, so be prepared. Loved our time there and would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of the Hotel Gault; we are very delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive on providing memorable experiences and personalized service. We were also glad to know that our staff were able to satisfy your needs, and always ensure a wonderful stay for our valued guests such as yourself.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We decided to spend a few days in Montreal in January (mad) after skiing at Mt Tremblant. We wanted to stay in the Old Town area and picked the Hotel Gault. What a hotel. We received a really warm welcome when we got there. We were early but we got complimentary tea and coffee and the staff helped us sort out an itinerary to keep us busy until our room was ready. The hotel is quiet but central. Easy walk to the old town and the main shopping areas. And then we were shown our room! Wow, easily the best room we have ever had in a Hotel - and it was only their standard accommodation. Well furnished, clean, warm, comfortable, spacious. Simply brilliant.

Breakfast the next morning was simple but excellent. We had booked a package with breakfast thrown in but going off menu wasn't a problem.

Any downsides? Well the gym is a little small and er...that's it. Stay here, it's worth the money and you won't regret it.

But maybe wait until the spring...we will next time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonathan_pettit
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay with us at the Hotel Gault. I appreciate you acknowledging our welcoming associates; it is certainly with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed our guest’s expectations.

I am delighted to read your comments recognizing the fine details of our rooms comfort and that you enjoyed our breakfast, I will pass on your comments to our Chef who is always delighted to hear such comments from our valued guests such as yourself

Once again, we appreciate your kind review on TripAdvisor and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back at The Gault hotel in the spring.

Francisco Gonzalez Gil
Front Office/ F&B Manager
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed at Hotel Gault a couple of times now. Great location (walking distance from everything in Old Montreal and downtown), near high-end restaurants and bars as well. Spacious rooms, unbelievable service (one of the best I've seen). Hands down the best quality/price in town. A must when you visit the city!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GregL357
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review about the Hotel Gault. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we that we were able to add to the positive experience . We work diligently to constantly meet and exceed expectations: you recognition is well appreciated.

Our sincere thank you for your continued patronage, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have spent the past 5 months traveling to Montreal for work every week - Hotel Gault was the first hotel that made my jaw drop upon entering into my room (I've stayed at 7). For starters, my room was absolutely stunning - warm wood interiors, bed tucked away in a cozy nook, perfect lighting, giant area rug around bed, non-tile bathroom floor (warmer on your bare feet). I was also welcomed into my room with a plate of fresh baked cookies, as well as a personalized card signed by the front desk manager - a very memorable touch! Lobby and library are inviting (photographs, fireplace, comfortable seating). Gym is small, but adequate.

What I loved:
- Friendly front desk staff (Kelsey, Yanick, etc.) who anticipated my every need (bag storage, taxi, etc.) - always attentive toward guests, never had to wait for staff to finish talking to each other
- Beautiful room (see above)
- Giant lamp above desk provided sufficient light to work at night (unlike many other hotels)
- Easy-to-use showerhead with great water pressure
- Great sleep quality: Comfortable bed, no street noise
- Convenient location

What I disliked:
- More stairs to reach the front entrance than most hotels and no automatic doors/infrequent doorman (difficult with suitcase in hand - not an issue otherwise)
- High-top bar-stool desk chair not ideal for extended work on laptop (beautifully designed, but no back support) - from hotel photos, it looks like not all rooms are like this
- Curtains didn't fully close in my room
-Had to unplug either the desk lamp or iPod speakers to plug in my laptop (there was another plug along the wall, but was too far to reach)

Thank you to the team at Hotel Gault for a phenomenal stay - I will without a doubt be back in the future!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Amanda K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel Gault on TripAdvisor. It is always delightful to hear that our staff were able to meet your expectations and make you feel right at home. We were also pleased to learn that the quiet location and the comfort of our beds provided you with a good night sleep. We are however, left concerned with the discomfort that you felt from the working area. To expand on your comment, indeed we do offer a variety of different room types that cater to every need. When you wish to make a future reservation, kindly contact me directly at the hotel, and it would be a pleasure for me to explain the different room types and help you choose the room that best fits your needs.

Once again, we thank you for the positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stop to Montreal.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stayed at hotel gault for 4 days in Feb in old montreal. First off, the location of this hotel is fantastic. It's walking distance to all the charming shops and some of the best restaurants in Montreal- location wise, it's an A+!
The hotel decor is very modern, clean and comfortable. It reminded me of Hotel 71 in Old Quebec- which I also loved.
The staff are so lovely, so friendly and extremely accommodating. I really felt welcomed and comfortable and have nothing but nice things to say about the staff there.
The turn down service was also great- always discreet and prompt. The hotel also left little treats in the room from time to time which I thought was very nice- every evening, staff would come bring us bottles of water as well which was thoughtful.
Hotel Gault offers complimentary ipads to use during stay- i didn't take advantage of this service but thought it might come in handy for people who need to stay connected.
The only minor item that I wish they had was a coffee/tea maker in the room. We had to run down to the hotel lobby bar every time we wanted a coffee and it was quite expensive (a cup of tea and a cup of coffee for around 9 dollars).
Another thing worth mentioning is the hotel food, usually I don't like room service food- I've stayed at really high end hotels and have never ever been impressed by hotel room service food but hotel gault's food was exceptional. If you want snack and you don't want to step outside, I highly recommend you try the hotel food- the charcuterie and cheese boards were excellent- even better than wine bar boards!
Now most importantly, the cleanliness... our room was SPOTLESS. The bathroom was spotless and the shower stall was so shiny, I couldn't find one fault with the cleanliness of this hotel. It was perfect, I wish this was the standard cleanliness for all hotels in the world.
I would definitely stay at hotel gault again and I highly recommend this hotel over all the other tacky chain hotels in Montreal. A true boutique style with definitely better than the rest.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mardy J
Francisco G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for your overwhelmingly positive review about your recent stay at the Hotel Gault on TripAdvisor.
It was truly a pleasure to read. It is true that our location is a valuable quality as we are minutes away from the city's famous venues, and less than 5 minutes walking distance from Square Victoria metro station.

We are committed to providing high-end personalized service, and we are delighted that our welcoming staff and the modern decor complimented the comfort of your stay. It's quite rewarding to the entire team coming from our valued guests such as yourself.

In addition to the service, we were extremely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our food. We have recently restructured our restaurant module, and a new head chef joined our team. We’ve worked so hard over the past months to come up with new menus and ideas to satisfy every craving; from a midnight snack to a full course meal. Your testimony came as an appreciated recognition of the team's hard work. I do however apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced in having your morning coffee. On your next stay, we will make sure to deliver it every morning to the comfort of your door at your preferred time.

Last but not least, I have passed on your kind words to our housekeeping associates for their exceptional work in keeping our Hotel a spotless place. We pride ourselves in the cleanliness of our hotel, and being referred to as an example property to all hotels by a valued guest is truly an honor.

Once again, our sincere thank you for your kind review; we cannot wait to welcome you back!