“Uber cool....” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
London, United Kingdom
“Uber cool....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Flying home from a business trip in California, I stopped off in Montreal to visit my cousins. Despite being -25C in Montreal the welcome was warm and sincere. I arrived late and freezing and the first thing the staff offered was a nice cup of tea! Brought switfly up to my hotel room, it was very welcome and to top off the experience, two rather delicious chocolate brownies were awaiting me! Nice touch too, a personalised note from the Manager. The hotel was a stylish, clever conversion from an old building into an industrially/hip yet comfortable environment. The room had high ceilings, super efficient shower and everything had been well thought out from the lighting, to the Molton Brown goodies. The towels were thick, huge and sparkling white and there was a great selection of reading material. The staff were absolutely charming and nothing was too much trouble. There was a good table and chair in which to work/use the (free) internet and it too had great lighting - not always the case! A knowledgeable Receptionist shared her local knowledge which proved accurate. I shall definitely be back! As an experienced traveller, I can sincerely say this experienced is highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel Gault. I am glad to read your comments about our attentive team, along with the comfort of the rooms and our amenities.

We do appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back! Maybe during spring or summer, so you could appreciate our beautiful city of Montréal in a different way!

Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was in Montreal on business-landed on Halloween and had a different hotel reserved for the first night. The first hotel was nice, no complaints other than it was located in the heart of the red light district and directly across from China town with no decent culinary options near by. I began looking for other accommodations and stumbled upon The Gault Hotel. I am a Delta Skymiles member and The Gault offered points if you booked via Delta (which turns out is actually Expedia). I work in the hotel/property management/resort/hospitality industry so I always try to steer clear of booking with Expedia and other online travel agencies for many reasons, so this was a great learning experience. Getting to the point-The Gault was nothing less of AMAZING! Everything about The Gault boasts of a high end, white glove experience. The hotel is located in an incredibly historic section of Old Montreal and I immediately felt as if I transported to Europe! It is true, you do not have to travel to Europe or France to get a taste of its fine cuisine and architecture! My second in Montreal, I moved over to The Gault and had made my reservation, day of, online via a 3rd party. From the time I arrived at The Gault everything was seamless. I had a rental car (if you've never driven around Montreal or this particular section, just a heads up, it isn't the easiest) and they gentleman manning the front desk met me outside and carried my bags into the lobby. He was extremely friendly and made the check in process a breeze. The Gault has valet parking which was awesome and seamless as well.

The room was amazing, immaculate and very clean. There was a plate of fresh, home made cookies dusted with powdered sugar, a note,slippers laid out waiting for me and low key music playing in the background.

The room had french doors that opened all the way and provided a beautiful view of Old Montreal, with fresh flowers located in a flower box just outside of the doors.

Housekeeping was superb! The only thing I could note is to maybe have a few more towels in the room. There were only two large towels, one hand cloth and one wash cloth. Everything else you could need was provided.

The front desk staff was very informative regarding neary by restaurants and the suggestions were right on point! I departed The Gault around 3:30 am and again, the front desk clerk was great!

Upon my return back to the states, I reached out to The Gault to obtain a copy of my receipt (as I did not get anything upon check in or check out) and was instructed that I would need to leave a message for accounting. I ended up having to call the hotel several times and left several messages for the lady in accounting but never received a call back. I later found out that Delta pushed the reservation through Expedia, so I now understand why The Gault wasn't able to provide me with a final receipt but a simple answer and a phone call back would have been appreciated. So, follow up with The Gault's back end staff was disappointing and frustrating but the front line staff were incredible!

Overall, I would highly recommend everyone stay The Gault at least one night during their visit to Montreal! A trip to Montreal wouldn't be complete without it in my book. I hope to be able to stay there again in the future.

Thank you for the first class hospitality!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jesica R
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team, we wish to thank you for the overwhelmingly kind review about the Hotel Gault. We pride ourselves in providing constant high-end personalized service; your testimony is well appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon at The Gault hotel.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent one night at the Hotel Gault and loved it. The service was top notch and the location in Old Montreal great. I would highly recommend this hotel. There was a small issue with missing towels in the room but without delay it was fixed. My only critique would be the lack of art on the walls in the room and no pool but these are non-issues in relation to the quality of the hotel. Really good experience and awesome door man.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CanPoli
Dear guest,

Thank you for your warm review about the Hotel Gault. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed on your kind words to our associates, especially Yanick, our doorman and concierge and they were as proud as ever to hear the comments.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write the review and we hope to welcome you back on your next stop to Montreal.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had the opportunity to book this hotel through Hotwire and I must say I was scared of the Number 5 rating on Tripadvisor (I am often disappointed with hotels that have a high ranking)...

Let me reassure you... it is not the care with this hotel! It is one of the best hotels I've ever been to in my life.

Here are the top reasons to come here...
1. Quality of the staff
1.1 I asked for 8 champagne glasses in advance and they were there when I checked-in
1.2 I have never met some room attendants that were so polite
1.3 Montreal had a cold spell (-40) and they put some extra covers on the bed (didn t even need to ask)

2. General feel of the hotel
2.1 The black and white pictures throughout the hotel are nice and bring a good vibe
2.2 Room 520 will give you a nice view of downtown
2.3 COnsidering there are only 30 rooms... you feel special

3. Location
3.1 Two steps away from the best restaurants in the old port and 5 minutes away from downtown
3.2 For the party scene - you have some excellent lounges that are 5 minutes away

You will not regret this hotel... enjoy Montreal!

Michael

Room Tip: rooms on the 5th floor have a private terrasse
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your praise and feedback from your recent stay with us. I am proud to learn that our team was successful in providing you with a truly memorable experience and that we made you feel warm and welcome.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition as an upscale hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Fantastic local, front desk had some great suggestions and helped weed out our to see/do/eat list. They were pretty full when we were there and you would never have known, very quiet, very stylish, very restful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive review of the Hotel Gault onTripAdvisor.

We're glad to know that you enjoyed stay with us and that our team yet again managed to provide a memorable experience.

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Gault, we look forward to welcoming you back on future occasions.

Kindest regards,

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

It used to be a trendy hotel but has lost its lustre.
The staff is not friendly at all. While the room is well maintained, the beds need to be changed to compete with the Sofitel, Westin, Hotels Germain of this world. Very hard beds.
I won't be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Guillaumeleconqueran
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for all our valued guests such as yourself.

Though, I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the full hotel experience. We strive to the highest level of service and amenities and will take into consideration your comments as applicable. I am quite surprised about your comments about our staff and the quality of our beds. It does not reflect a normal guest experience here at the Gault. Could you please email me at smahu@hotelgault.com so I can understand what went wrong during your stay with us and follow up with you.

You are a valued guest and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.

Front desk and F&B Manager
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I booked the Hotel Gault for a weekend away in October. The location was perfect for walking and a short cab ride for those things we couldn't walk to. The open decor was very elegant and European feeling. We had two meals in the hotel restaurant, breakfast and a late afternoon snack, and the food was of high quality and nicely presented. The staff were amazingly friendly and went out of their way to look after all of our needs and then some. We loved our room, and so did our friends who dropped by for a glass of wine. We had a huge comfortable sitting room, surrounded by windows all of which opened. The open decor of the room was also very pleasing, with a creative layout, and the hardwood floors were a pleasure after too many carpets in hotels for too long. Comfortable beds, large modern bathroom... We will definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful time at the Gault!

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor,

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Front desk and F&B Manager