“Well designed hotel in great location”
Review of Hotel Gault

Hotel Gault
Ranked #3 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
New York, NY
“Well designed hotel in great location”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is beautifully designed, and the location is ideal for exploring Old Montreal. The staff is very friendly and professional - Tarik in particular made several great suggestions for restaurants to check out. We went in January, and the room was a great value. This seems to be the best option in Montreal!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greenlite711
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Hotel Gault. I will pass along your kind comments to our associates,Tarik in particular. Our team is always very delighted to read such a pleasant feedback.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Front Desk and F&B Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I stayed over a Saturday night at the Hotel Gault in Old Montreal. The hotel was an old cotton warehouse turned into a boutique hotel with modern furniture. The decor was trés nouveau with very colourful chairs in the lobby restaurant. The large rooms were an interesting design with the sleeping area being divided from the bathroom part by a curtain divider. The bed was very comfortable. The service by the staff was exceptional, friendly and considerate. I guess that's what you get at a 4 star hotel. We ate breakfast in the lobby restaurant bar area. It was very good, if expensive. I had the omelette Gault and my wife had the oatmeal which was made with maple syrup (a definite choice if you have a sweet tooth in the morning). A bol du café au lait was the most economical choice for coffee and was very good and strong. The only thing I didn't like were the bare walls in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CanadaWillPower
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We were pleased to read your comments on your recent stay at the Hotel Gault!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Montreal!

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Flying home from a business trip in California, I stopped off in Montreal to visit my cousins. Despite being -25C in Montreal the welcome was warm and sincere. I arrived late and freezing and the first thing the staff offered was a nice cup of tea! Brought switfly up to my hotel room, it was very welcome and to top off the experience, two rather delicious chocolate brownies were awaiting me! Nice touch too, a personalised note from the Manager. The hotel was a stylish, clever conversion from an old building into an industrially/hip yet comfortable environment. The room had high ceilings, super efficient shower and everything had been well thought out from the lighting, to the Molton Brown goodies. The towels were thick, huge and sparkling white and there was a great selection of reading material. The staff were absolutely charming and nothing was too much trouble. There was a good table and chair in which to work/use the (free) internet and it too had great lighting - not always the case! A knowledgeable Receptionist shared her local knowledge which proved accurate. I shall definitely be back! As an experienced traveller, I can sincerely say this experienced is highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel Gault. I am glad to read your comments about our attentive team, along with the comfort of the rooms and our amenities.

We do appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back! Maybe during spring or summer, so you could appreciate our beautiful city of Montréal in a different way!

Sarah
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was in Montreal on business-landed on Halloween and had a different hotel reserved for the first night. The first hotel was nice, no complaints other than it was located in the heart of the red light district and directly across from China town with no decent culinary options near by. I began looking for other accommodations and stumbled upon The Gault Hotel. I am a Delta Skymiles member and The Gault offered points if you booked via Delta (which turns out is actually Expedia). I work in the hotel/property management/resort/hospitality industry so I always try to steer clear of booking with Expedia and other online travel agencies for many reasons, so this was a great learning experience. Getting to the point-The Gault was nothing less of AMAZING! Everything about The Gault boasts of a high end, white glove experience. The hotel is located in an incredibly historic section of Old Montreal and I immediately felt as if I transported to Europe! It is true, you do not have to travel to Europe or France to get a taste of its fine cuisine and architecture! My second in Montreal, I moved over to The Gault and had made my reservation, day of, online via a 3rd party. From the time I arrived at The Gault everything was seamless. I had a rental car (if you've never driven around Montreal or this particular section, just a heads up, it isn't the easiest) and they gentleman manning the front desk met me outside and carried my bags into the lobby. He was extremely friendly and made the check in process a breeze. The Gault has valet parking which was awesome and seamless as well.

The room was amazing, immaculate and very clean. There was a plate of fresh, home made cookies dusted with powdered sugar, a note,slippers laid out waiting for me and low key music playing in the background.

The room had french doors that opened all the way and provided a beautiful view of Old Montreal, with fresh flowers located in a flower box just outside of the doors.

Housekeeping was superb! The only thing I could note is to maybe have a few more towels in the room. There were only two large towels, one hand cloth and one wash cloth. Everything else you could need was provided.

The front desk staff was very informative regarding neary by restaurants and the suggestions were right on point! I departed The Gault around 3:30 am and again, the front desk clerk was great!

Upon my return back to the states, I reached out to The Gault to obtain a copy of my receipt (as I did not get anything upon check in or check out) and was instructed that I would need to leave a message for accounting. I ended up having to call the hotel several times and left several messages for the lady in accounting but never received a call back. I later found out that Delta pushed the reservation through Expedia, so I now understand why The Gault wasn't able to provide me with a final receipt but a simple answer and a phone call back would have been appreciated. So, follow up with The Gault's back end staff was disappointing and frustrating but the front line staff were incredible!

Overall, I would highly recommend everyone stay The Gault at least one night during their visit to Montreal! A trip to Montreal wouldn't be complete without it in my book. I hope to be able to stay there again in the future.

Thank you for the first class hospitality!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jesica R
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team, we wish to thank you for the overwhelmingly kind review about the Hotel Gault. We pride ourselves in providing constant high-end personalized service; your testimony is well appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon at The Gault hotel.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent one night at the Hotel Gault and loved it. The service was top notch and the location in Old Montreal great. I would highly recommend this hotel. There was a small issue with missing towels in the room but without delay it was fixed. My only critique would be the lack of art on the walls in the room and no pool but these are non-issues in relation to the quality of the hotel. Really good experience and awesome door man.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CanPoli
Dear guest,

Thank you for your warm review about the Hotel Gault. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed on your kind words to our associates, especially Yanick, our doorman and concierge and they were as proud as ever to hear the comments.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write the review and we hope to welcome you back on your next stop to Montreal.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had the opportunity to book this hotel through Hotwire and I must say I was scared of the Number 5 rating on Tripadvisor (I am often disappointed with hotels that have a high ranking)...

Let me reassure you... it is not the care with this hotel! It is one of the best hotels I've ever been to in my life.

Here are the top reasons to come here...
1. Quality of the staff
1.1 I asked for 8 champagne glasses in advance and they were there when I checked-in
1.2 I have never met some room attendants that were so polite
1.3 Montreal had a cold spell (-40) and they put some extra covers on the bed (didn t even need to ask)

2. General feel of the hotel
2.1 The black and white pictures throughout the hotel are nice and bring a good vibe
2.2 Room 520 will give you a nice view of downtown
2.3 COnsidering there are only 30 rooms... you feel special

3. Location
3.1 Two steps away from the best restaurants in the old port and 5 minutes away from downtown
3.2 For the party scene - you have some excellent lounges that are 5 minutes away

You will not regret this hotel... enjoy Montreal!

Michael

Room Tip: rooms on the 5th floor have a private terrasse