My husband and I spent 4 nights in the Apartment Deluxe for our 10th anniversary and this is the most challenging review I've yet to write for TripAdvisor.
Much of the experience was fantastic (5 dots): Hotel and room aesthetics, staff, comfort of couch and bed, linens, towels, shower, tub, location, food, lattes, soap, architecture and design magazines in room, art throughout hotel, valet parking.
But... for the cost of the room, there were disappointments that made me rate it lower (2 dots). No room service dessert the night we tried to order it (biggest letdown!). Only one phone (by bed) in big apartment, and no way to get to it from living area before room service hung up (or switched to voice mail). No instructions on how to retrieve phone messages in writing (in English) - only verbal instructions in French via the phone.... still not sure what the message said!. No instructions on how to use the 4 remotes for entertainment service; Staff offered to come and show us how to use, but we really didn't want to have to deal with that.... my hubby (a remote whiz) finally got it going. No microwave (even though the hotel website says the apartments come with one. I waffled between 3 & 4 dots (avg/vg) because of these dichotomies.
Items of note that I didn't factor into the review, but may be of interest to others.
- There was a fridge and a stovetop, but no utensils or pots/pans/dishes. This wasn't huge deal to us, but strange for 'apartment'.
- I'm a morning coffee drinker & there is no coffeemaker - I inquired before booking and when it knowing this, but having one would have made me a happier morning person. The room service was VG in the morning, but still some delay before caffeine arrived.
- The cool wooden door diving the sleeping area from the bathroom wouldn't close... at least not with the amt of effort I was willing to try. Reported this when we checked out, so hopefully they have it repaired. Meant no way to wash hands / brush teeth without disturbing sleeping spouse.
- The pocket door to the WC 'clanked' when it was opened. Again, reported when we checked out.
- Overall layout of the apartment didn't allow for total separation from living+dining and sleeping. If one person is early riser (that would be me), no way to listen to TV or music without sound carrying into bedroom area.
- For such a large apt, there was very little drawer space to unpack.... did have good hanging apace. (Okay, I get up early, drink too much coffee, and overpack!)
Overall we had a fantastic time, but it wasn't quite perfect (I really wanted that dessert!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Gault is a boutique hotel housed in an historic building built in 1871. The hotel lies in the heart of Old Montreal, just steps away from the downtown and the convention centre. In contrast to the exterior of this landmark building, inside, The Gault features a minimalist style. Together, they create an incomparable communion of old-world comfort and luxurious contemporary design. Furnished with classic 20th-century pieces, The Gault experience is enhanced by huge French windows that flood each of the 30 suites with natural light and create a radiant atmosphere. All the rooms are open-plan and equipped with Mondrian custom oak cabinetry, an LED flat-screen television, and Blu-ray technology. Some suites feature 3D televisions. All guests enjoy HDTV, complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access, and free local calls. iPads are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Gault reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gault Hotel Montreal