“European style in Sherbrooke” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Le Meridien Versailles
Ranked #67 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Ramat Gan
“European style in Sherbrooke”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Spent there 3 nights. The hotel is not very modern and spacious as some of the other options on Sherbrooke, however, I can't remember such a service in a north American hotel lately.
The lobby is almost not existent, however some functions (Such as computer services) are on the second floor
Printing and internet are free
The staff knows you by name, they will reserve for you a place in the restaurant you want and will not push for their's like in many other places.
Rooms are kind of old but they are maintained well
I got a great rate via priceline so for me, it was an exceptional deal

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Eli G
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your recent comments commending our associates they work extremely hard and are very deserving of your praise.

What we lack in size we make up for in contributing to an experience. Starting with our lobby, in turning it into an Art Gallery, allowing the local artists of Quebec to be showcased.

We will have many exciting changes comes to Le Meridien so stay tuned! I truly hope that you will have made us your new home away from home.

Best Regards,

S.Moran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed at the property for a 3 nights this past long week-end for a family stay. I have been frequenting Starwood properties for 15+ years, many of those as a platinum or gold level member. This was by far my worst Starwood experience ever and one of my bottom decile in any North American hotel.
Issues included:
- Toilet bowl not being cleaned despite visible dirt
- Towels not being replaced when dirty and left on the floor (as the green program states)
- Wet towels being left in random locations in the room after housekeeping had done the room
- Coffee service being randomly replenished
- Defective fawcet in bathroom
- Completely botched breakfast order for 3 out 4 orders

After (very politely and calmly) bringing this up with both the front desk, manager AND a SPG customer service in a couple of occasions the net/net was one night's free parking out of 3 and 5K starwood points (which don't even amount to one night in an equivalent Category 3 property).

The only thing that was less acceptable than the quality of the experience at the Meridien Versailles is the manner in which they AND SPG handled the incident after the fact.

Deeply disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pascal02467
Thank you for your feed back, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations especially being a SPG member. I can assure you that we will be taking steps to insure that such an occurrence is not repeated. Housekeeping and Client service has always been our strong points. It is quite obvious that something went wrong. I would urge you to call me directly to rectify this issue.

We sincerely hope that given a second chance we can renew our promise to provide excellence in customer service.

S. Moran

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Hotel was convenient to public transportation and local activities and site. Staff was excellent as they always are at Le Meridien hotels. Everything was clean and spotless. We had a queen suite that was on the small size. The bathroom was tiny and not able to fit two people. Had to have our bill corrected because the promotional rate was not applied as it should have been. We would stay at the property again in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guests, Thank you for your comments, the location of Le Meridien is ideal and convient being located on the Golden Square Mile, in close proximity to the Museums, which I would hope that you would have taken advantage of, being that Le Meridien is known for the "Unlock Art" program.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon, when all the festivites start in Montreal.

Best Regards,
S. Moran
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed here in October while in Montreal for the McGill and Concordia open house days and loved the place! the staff are very attentive and helpful, the hotel is quiet and lovely and well appointed, with the rooms having fridges and microwaves plus a coffee maker. we were walking distance to everything of interest and our room key gave access to several very interesting museums within the area. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
YanickB, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Glad to hear your were able to take advantage of our great Unlock Art program.

See you again, next time you are in Montreal.

YB.
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

This is the first time which I have stayed at this property in Montreal. It is a bit further west than the properties i normally choose. I almost always stay at Starwood properties and have stayed often at Le Centre Sheraton and the Westin. Le Meridien is very close to the Guy-Concordia subway stop which is very convenient, especially in the winter. It is only a couple of blocks away from la rue Ste Catherine which is full of shops. There are two economical ways to get to this property and both start with the 747 bus service. This service costs $8. The ticket is valid for 24 hours for all of the buses and metros within the city. I was staying for three days so I bought the three day pass for $16.
!) The first way to get to the hotel is to get off of the 747 at the first stop which is the Lionel Grioult subway station. Here you can take the green line two stops to the Guy-Concordia subway stop. If you exit the subway stop on St Matthieu you need only walk up the street a short way to Sherbrooke and turn left to find the hotel.
2) The second way to get to the hotel is to take the same bus to the second stop which is rue Guy. From here you walk uphill past several side streets and three major streets (and past the Guy-Concordia subway stop) to Sherbrooke where, on the left, you will find the hotel. This might be a nice walk in the Spring, Summer and Fall but is not advised in the middle of winter. it's survivable but not fun when schlepping a suitcase.
Of the three Starwood properties in which I have stayed in Montreal I would recommend both le Meridien Versailles and the Westin.
- Le Centre Sheraton is huge, you will often need to wait in line to speak with their rather brusque staff-members, the Platinum lounge is very large but the staff in the lounge are unwelcoming. The rooms are a nice size but the ceiling is poured concrete - a very ugly industrial look from the 70s which made me feel cold and uncomfortable.
- The Westin is also large and seems to host many conventions. The great advantage to this hotel is that it is located immediately next to the subway (Place d'Armes) and also immediately next to Old Montreal with its myriad of restaurants. The rooms are all standard Westin rooms, very comfortable and modern. You will also need to stand in line to speak with anyone at the front desk or concierge. I remember asking the concierge this summer for information about the film festival which was taking place that week and she didn't know what I was talking about. She pulled up the website and started reading to me. I was expecting to receive some type of handy pocket-sized guide.
- Le Meridien Versailles is much smaller with almost no lobby and the rooms are rather out-of-date. The bathroom is very 70s chic but everything worked fine. The staff are the saving feature of this hotel. They were all very kind and accessible.
Overall, Le Meridien Versailles is fine if you are spending three or four days in the city for business. It is often more affordable than the Westin and the subway is only a short distance away. if I were visiting for touristic reasons and could get a good rate at the Westin I would prefer its location, next to Le Vieux Montreal.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the two walls of windows in my corner room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank newyorkbo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write those very informative comments. I am certain many future guests will find them very informative.

We look forward to your next stay in Montreal.

Best regards,

YB.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stay regularly at this hotel when I teach in Montreal.

My flight from Toronto to Montreal on January 13 arrived at midnight instead of 8.40pm. My baggage unfortunately was not sent so I was stuck with no luggage. Checked into hotel at 1.00am. Derek on the front desk was extremely helpful. He had security find me some toiletries and delivered to my room.

I was extremely impressed with the help I received.

Thank you very much Derek.

Harry F

Room Tip: Take a high room facing side street so do not hear noise from Sherbrooke
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
YanickB, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear about the flight delays you encountered. I am glad Derek was able to help out and make your Montreal experience better!

Yanick B.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed for three nights in November and felt that we had probably chosen the wrong hotel for us which makes it a little difficult to properly review it. As tourists we found the location was not particularly suitable. Although one of the important galleries was quite nearby most of the places we wanted to see were quite a distance from the hotel and as we prefer to explore on foot it made for a lot more walking than we preferred.

We also found it difficult to find decent reasonably priced food near the hotelt. Plenty of cheap student food of poor quality and very expensive restaurants, but nothing in the middle. We were particularly disappointed in the lack of French bistro style eating opportunities in the area. Unfortanately the lack of a choice of dining opportunities at the hotel was a problem also as there wasn't a suitable place to go for a coffee or a light snack. This was particularly a problem when we came in at night and didn't want to go directly to the room.

The room was ordinary even though it was an upgrade. The bathroom fittings were a little dodgy but worked. It was very dark and the fact that it overlooked a lane didn't help. There was a bit of a privacy problem in that the room looked straight across the lane into private dwellings. .

The staff were very good - always polite and helpful. The desk staff quickly amended an incorrect entry on our account when it was pointed out.

I would not recommend the hotel to tourists although it is a good value for money if you are travelling on a budget. But, as someone who has travelled extensively on business I would recommend it as an excellent option. Very good value for money and well located for business I would imagine. For many business people would find just the thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main streets. Those facing the lane make an already dark room even darker...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you did not appreciate our location. I guess it all depends on the reason for your visit and what activities you have in mind, as you mention.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yanick B.