“Good hotel with fantastic staff”

Le Meridien Versailles
Ranked #67 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is nice and it's within walking distance of many shops and attractions. We had a room on the 7th floor facing the north, which had a great view. However, the street noise was loud and our room (751) was next to the elevator which was incredibly obnoxious. I highly recommend requesting another room if you end up close to the elevator (or bring earplugs). The beds are good, not great. The room is very large. All of the staff are incredibly helpful and kind.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank NEtravels1220
MassimoLeMeridien, Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property! I am glad to hear that your experience with us was pleasant and also that you were able to enjoy our associates! Again, thank you for taking the time! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Warm regards,
Amanda Campbell
Front Desk Supervisor
Le Meridien Versailles Montreal

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We needed a room and le meredien was offering a reasonable rate for three nights. My expectations were not sky-high and I left satisfied. By far, NOT the most impressive Starwood property I've experienced. The "recently renovation" meant fresh wall paper and bathroom fixtures, but the wood moulding was worn, the wifi was unreliable at best, and the AC had a mind of its own. The staff was friendly and nice, but I wondered if the hotel was understaffed? I left feeling neither over- nor under-whelmed by the experience.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After reading some of the reviews of this hotel I was a bit apprehensive about our stay. My husband had to travel to Montreal on business for a film festival and we were booked into the hotel for five nights. I will say that after our stay here, this will now be our go-to hotel in Montreal. It was certainly the most functional, comfortable and liveable hotel we have stayed in.

Travelling with our toddler daughter can be really difficult. My husband travels to Montreal frequently on business, so we have had many experiences with Montreal hotels. Often our daughter doesn't sleep well in an unfamiliar space and we are often concerned about noise levels for us and our neighbours. Let me say, the room had her feeling so comfortable that she slept through the night our first night there!

Our stay at Le Meridien Versailles had none of the issues that we have found at other hotels. When we arrived in our room, we found the room to be very clean, bright and quite large with lots of room to play and relax. It was also quite pretty, our daughter ran around the room screaming "it's beautiful!!" and we weren't worried about making noise because the soundproofing of the room was the best we have experienced! We were not disturbed once by neighbours or people in the hallways. It was remarkable!

The layout of the room was fantastic. There was a separate closet area with a refrigerator and microwave. This was very convenient, we were able to stock up on some of our daughter's favourite juices and snacks, and we had enough space to store all of our belongings and stroller so that we weren't tripping over things. As stated by previous reviewers, the bathrooms are quite small, but honestly, the space in the rest of the room more than made up for that!

The bed was very comfortable, with large pillows. The room was very quiet, and while there were many windows that allowed light to flood in during the day, the blackout curtains allowed for a very restful night's sleep. Even with construction happening down the street, I did not hear one sound from the outside.

The restaurant downstairs, RIDI, had a great lunch table d'hote that was an amazing value. The food was quite good and our server was so wonderful! She was cheerful and so helpful.

The location was fantastic. My husband was 2 minute walk from the film festival. We lived in Montreal for many years before moving to Toronto and I was thrilled by the easy access to all of my favourite haunts that I frequented as a Concordia student, Cafe Myriade, Burritoville, Thali and Boustan among them. I am very happy to see that the strip of St Catherine's just below the hotel has added some interesting and new restaurants, especially in the Faubourg. Juliet et Chocolate has opened in the Faubourg and it was so much fun to go there for yummy sundaes!

There were so many great things about this hotel, I would also like to add that the staff were so friendly and helpful. They always greeted us with a smile and were so attentive to all of the needs of our family. I really enjoyed all of my interactions with them!

I can certainly see that this hotel does have some minor issues, the lobby and elevators are a bit small and the hallways did remind me of some older European hotels that I have stayed in but these issues were so minor and didn't really impact the quality of our stay at all. I would stay here again in an instant. After our lovely experience here, I think that this will now be our go to hotel for our Montreal visits. This visit far exceeded our expectations and I cannot wait to visit Montreal and Le Meridien Versailles again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank twinpeakslover
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed in Montreal at Le Meridien for 3 days. Upon arrival I was positively impressed with the location (downtown), the lobby area (modern) and front desk agents (professional, good-looking and well dressed... especially the blue eyed male agent).
Everything that followed the check-in was a complete disaster, let's make it easy to read:

1) The room looked nothing like the pictures. The hotel was recently renovated however in the website the word "partially" was conveniently left out, in fact some of the floors (like the 7th where I was staying) looked like they survived the tragedy of the Titanic.

2) The size of the room was decent and the mattress very comfortable.

3) The bathroom was clean but old.

4) The faucet was not sturdy. I had to hold it with one hand while opening the water with the other to avoid the whole thing from coming off.

5) Housekeeping did not clean the room in 3 days. It looked like they would only come when I was in the room (4pm - 6pm). When asked the lady said she would come back in 1 hour but never showed up. Luckily the linen closet was left wide open so I could retrieve some clean towels myself.

6) Day no.2 I came back to the room but could not enter as the metal latch mysteriously closed itself from inside. I did not think that such thing was possible as I worked 11 years in hotels and never seen it happening. The maintenance man came back 20 minutes after without his tools so he had to go back and disappeared for another 15, when he finally retuned he broke the latch allowing me access to the room.

***Now ladies and gents what I don't understand is: how is it possible that Le Meridien and the W Hotel are both rated 4 stars? Those 2 establishments can be compared to a donkey and a horse. I assume that one day Starwood just happened to pass by and looking at the hotel said "I wouldn't mind to get rid of some change... and bought it."

Room Tip: Ask the staff to show you the room before you provide a credit card...
2  Thank Dario S
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Umm, all I can say is, not good. Whenever I travel, I usually stay at a Starwood hotel, its my preference. When I decided to book few days in Montreal I decided to stay at Le Meridien - a Starwood Hotel. I was really excited. The few pictures they had posted on the hotel's website made it look great. Walked into the hotel on Friday - I was shocked in a bad way. The hotel looks like a 2 or three star hotel you'd find on a discount website on the outskirts of some European city. The lobby is small, looks nothing like the pictures and quite frankly looks dingy. The elevators are dark and dirty. Went up to my floor, was even more shocked - it was horrible. Dark, dirty, carpeting not aligned and littered with paint marks and stains, wallpaper not aligned also dirty and horrible. Looked like something out of a horror movie. Entered the room and low and behold it looked exactly like the hallway. I swear the halls and room I had looked like something out of Chernobyl. The bathroom door looked like it survived a nuclear blast, the furniture looked like it came from my dead grandma's basement, and again, there were paint stains, dirty carpets and not aligned wallpaper across the entire room. The bathroom was so small and looked like the 70's just came back. I will say, that the bed itself was quite comfortable and that was the only saving grace of this hotel. I'm sure this hotel is fine for people, but I feel for Starwood this was horrible and very misleading. My room looked NOTHING like the pictured on their website. Everything was different, dirty and dingy. This is NOT a 4 star hotel - AT ALL. I've stayed in hotels all over the world - my hotel in HAVANA, CUBA was nicer than this one. Also, something odd happened. The latch lock on my door, you know the kind the door has to be completely shut to engage, somehow locked itself while I was out. How is that possible? I then had to wait in the hallway for 20 minutes until some man came with his bolt cutters to remove my lock. Still... how can that type of lock, lock itself from the outside? Very irritating. Was and am not pleased with this hotel - not worth the money, location is not the best relative to old Montreal and all of the shopping and nightlife (mind you, this is not technically the hotel's fault) - how can this be a Starwood hotel!?!? Very disappointing.

Room Tip: To get a good room, stay at a different hotel.
2  Thank Corey B
Reviewed 24 July 2014

First off the Staff at this hotel is super friendly...And secondly...our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The only thing wrong with this hotel is that it is dated and could use a facelift.

When we checked in I noticed that it is part of the SPG hotel chain...which is good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MassimoLeMeridien, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us with a nice review. I am happy to see you enjoyed your experience with us. As you may have noticed we are undergoing renovations at the moment. The common areas such as the lobby will be the next area to be renovated! We do hope to welcome you back soon. And again, thank you for the great review!

Warm regards,
Amanda Campbell
Front Desk Supervisor
Le Meridien Versailles

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had a great two nites at the hotel. Joanne at reception was super sweet and so were the valet service and doormen. The room is a little outdated and the bathrooms are super small but easy to get around location. Can recommend but I hear others say they got a renovated room which is not our case. It's time to also have two queens and not two doubles.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated rooms. Ours was nothing like the pictures on the websites
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MassimoLeMeridien, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with such a great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience and getting to meet our associate Joanna. I will be sure to let her know of your kind words! Yes, we are undergoing renovations at the moment. We have about 7 floors completed so far and will be finishing the floors and then the common areas such as the lobby. I do hope that the next time you return to us you will be able to experience a newly renovated room! Again, thank you for such a nice review!