“Location OK, Service Great, Lots of kids”

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount
Ranked #74 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I booked this hotel with Marriott Reward Points, so I cannot comment on prices and value. This was a last minute trip as I re-routed to avoid Hurricane Gustav and did little or no advance planning on he trip which required a higher level of staff assistance than I would normally ask for.

Getting there: The hotel is located in a residential area of Montreal about 2 miles west of downtown. If you have two or more people, its probably not a bad idea to get a cab directly to the property. The flat rate of C$38 is competitive with the C$30 fare for two people on the L'Aerobus shuttle service from the airport. If you do take the bus, you will get dropped off at the main bus terminal. From there you can go downstairs to the Berri/UQAM metro station and ride to Atwater. Come out of the station on the Rue Maisonneuve side and walk a half block north on Rue Atwater to Lincoln. The hotel is a block down past a couple of old apartment complexes.

Check in: Slow. The hotel had a couple of groups checking in at that time and the check-in desk has room only for two agents to handle the load. They did the best that they could.

Room: Small. When I was promised a double room, they weren't joking. Its a double bed rather than a queen which is a good bit smaller than I am used to. Appliances in the kitchen look really old, but are functional. There is a small den area with a desk and a large balcony. Internet is free in the room, but as is the case with Marriotts I stay at, it is not wireless. But when its free, I will take what I can get. The toilet did not flush when I arrived. But it did get fixed almost immediately after I notified the front desk.

Staff service: Really great. As I said, I was in a bot of a pinch and did virtually no advance planning. The staff was able to help me out with opening and closing times, directions and recommendations. This was pretty key since Labor Day is a holiday in Canada at the same time as in the US. Everything is closed on Labor Day. Overall, very friendly and cheerful folks and I am glad they were there.

Breakfast: Big fan of the free Residence Inn breakfast. But this is a family hotel if every I stayed at one. Breakfast was overrun with kids and the atmosphere was more Romper Room than hotel. I suppose that makes it "family friendly". But it also means that I also lost my breakfast plate a couple of times dodging the kiddies running around. Still it was a generally good selection of breakfast foods.

Overall impressions of the hotel were OK. The biggest problem here is not something that will surprise the staff if they read this. Its the elevators. If you are above the 10th floor and want to go downstairs, plan ahead. If the elevator is not headed in the direction you want, get on. Ride it up and then back down. At least you are on, which is more than I can say to some of the poor souls who found a full elevator when it arrived at their floor.

This really isn't a pheonomenal location for exploring Old Montreal but its OK. Atwater requires a change of train to get to the Orange Line and it can be a bit of a walk at the end of the day when you are beat to get back to the metro and then back to the hotel. Still, you are only two stops away from Peel Station which is where a lot of the action is on Ste Catherine Street. Given the choice, I would have tried to get a room downtown or in Old Montreal. I think the prices are generally competitive with the 3-star set downtown.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 August 2008

This hotel is a little out of the way - but close to the metro station.

It was very reasonably priced and includes a fully equipped kitchen and a little balcony.

The staff are really friendly and helpful - even to an English speaker like me.

Very reasonable and comfortable,

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I stayed at the Marriott Westmont recently for four nights. I was with my wife and 11 year old son. We got a special deal so the rate was very competitive, particularly because it includes a full hot buffet breakfast every day. The breakfast is not “brunch at the Ritz Carlton”, but it was always a nice start to our day. Our room was a suite with a fully equipped kitchen as well as a balcony offering a panorama of the city. It was clean and in very good condition. The hotel has a nice rooftop indoor pool which we used a couple of times. The parking garage with in/out privileges was another nice feature. The only complaint I share with others is the elevator situation in the hotel; there are only two and at peak times you may wait for up to five minutes to get one. I travel frequently and in general I am a big fan of Marriott, they are very customer focused and their product is very consistent, The Westmont is no exception.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank JB88fml
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights recently. The room was neat and clean - we had a bedroom, living room, balcony and kitchen stocked with everything you'd need if you wanted to stay in and cook. The breakfast was wonderful - hot and cold food, lots of variety and nicely laid out. The staff were very friendly and helpful - the front desk recommended several nearby restaurants - we tried two and they were great. It's located in a very pleasant neighbourhood. The metro is only two blocks away, and from there you can get anywhere in Montreal quickly and efficiently. Old Montreal and China town are ten minutes away by Metro, and the botanical gardens about twenty minutes away. Overall - a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CanadaDonna
Reviewed 2 August 2008

This is a great hotel with excellent service. Right near Attwater subway and huge shopping centres, its close enough to the city and restaurants. The service is fantastic and we enjoyed a great apartment with kitchenette and spacious surroundings. We would recommend this hotel for its functional rooms, great staff, good breakfasts and position.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank mike_22101
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I generally prefer staying at the Residence Inn chain. I don't know if the standards for the properties is lower in Canada versus the United States but this place was expensive for what it offered. First, while the room had a kitchen(outdated!) there was no dining table nor chairs nor a sofa and coffee table (as I have experienced at other Residence Inns). Secondly, the bed was hard as a rock and the carpeting was so thin, there was no doubt you were walking on a concrete slab floor. Thirdly, while the public spaces were newly decorated, the rest of the space felt like an old apartment building that had been converted into a hotel. If you like Residence Inns, I wouldn't recommend this place. If you are looking for a nice hotel, I would shop around because this wasn't even a nice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2008

The hotel was good, but the elevator was not working for a while, and there is only one computer downstairs to use for internet.

Room was clean and nice... but you can tell the hotel is OLD.

When I flush the toilet the sink does not have cold water until the toilet fills up.

And this hotel is not close to the good stuff in Montreal, so look for other hotels if you want to be close to all the big events in Montreal.

I paid $149, would only stay here again for $120 tops.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business