All reviews atwater metro station alexis nihon living room the penthouse top floor large balcony full kitchen free breakfast two blocks couple blocks indoor pool close to downtown the breakfast area st catherine min walk mont royal yogurt
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I personally prefer to stay at the Residence Inn (Business or Leisure). This was the worst hotel I have stayed at so far. Our stay started with the horrible parking experience. There were about 10 parking spots per floor in the underground parking. I had to wait there for about half an hour to find an empty spot. Then there was the elevator wait. I stood by the elevator for 15 min every time for it to arrive(I was on the 7th floor and started using the stairs in and out after experiencing the same problem about 2 times). Then there was the room. The fridge was at least 20 years old with a loud squeaking noise. Old carpet with a nasty smell. The balcony was filthy with algae on the floor from the water leaking out of the air conditioner. The front doors squeaked. The thermostat did not work. There was no exhaust in the washroom. The sofa bed was the most uncomfortable nights sleep ever. And they charge $1 for every local call.

Upon complaining about the above the response from the front desk was "We are working to make things better". They did not offer any fixing or regrets.

Never again will I stay here. I travel quite a lot to Montréal. I would suggest the four points hotel (Same price much better service with the valet parking).

1  Thank Azooooor
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I booked this hotel with Marriott Reward Points, so I cannot comment on prices and value. This was a last minute trip as I re-routed to avoid Hurricane Gustav and did little or no advance planning on he trip which required a higher level of staff assistance than I would normally ask for.

Getting there: The hotel is located in a residential area of Montreal about 2 miles west of downtown. If you have two or more people, its probably not a bad idea to get a cab directly to the property. The flat rate of C$38 is competitive with the C$30 fare for two people on the L'Aerobus shuttle service from the airport. If you do take the bus, you will get dropped off at the main bus terminal. From there you can go downstairs to the Berri/UQAM metro station and ride to Atwater. Come out of the station on the Rue Maisonneuve side and walk a half block north on Rue Atwater to Lincoln. The hotel is a block down past a couple of old apartment complexes.

Check in: Slow. The hotel had a couple of groups checking in at that time and the check-in desk has room only for two agents to handle the load. They did the best that they could.

Room: Small. When I was promised a double room, they weren't joking. Its a double bed rather than a queen which is a good bit smaller than I am used to. Appliances in the kitchen look really old, but are functional. There is a small den area with a desk and a large balcony. Internet is free in the room, but as is the case with Marriotts I stay at, it is not wireless. But when its free, I will take what I can get. The toilet did not flush when I arrived. But it did get fixed almost immediately after I notified the front desk.

Staff service: Really great. As I said, I was in a bot of a pinch and did virtually no advance planning. The staff was able to help me out with opening and closing times, directions and recommendations. This was pretty key since Labor Day is a holiday in Canada at the same time as in the US. Everything is closed on Labor Day. Overall, very friendly and cheerful folks and I am glad they were there.

Breakfast: Big fan of the free Residence Inn breakfast. But this is a family hotel if every I stayed at one. Breakfast was overrun with kids and the atmosphere was more Romper Room than hotel. I suppose that makes it "family friendly". But it also means that I also lost my breakfast plate a couple of times dodging the kiddies running around. Still it was a generally good selection of breakfast foods.

Overall impressions of the hotel were OK. The biggest problem here is not something that will surprise the staff if they read this. Its the elevators. If you are above the 10th floor and want to go downstairs, plan ahead. If the elevator is not headed in the direction you want, get on. Ride it up and then back down. At least you are on, which is more than I can say to some of the poor souls who found a full elevator when it arrived at their floor.

This really isn't a pheonomenal location for exploring Old Montreal but its OK. Atwater requires a change of train to get to the Orange Line and it can be a bit of a walk at the end of the day when you are beat to get back to the metro and then back to the hotel. Still, you are only two stops away from Peel Station which is where a lot of the action is on Ste Catherine Street. Given the choice, I would have tried to get a room downtown or in Old Montreal. I think the prices are generally competitive with the 3-star set downtown.

Reviewed 29 August 2008

This hotel is a little out of the way - but close to the metro station.

It was very reasonably priced and includes a fully equipped kitchen and a little balcony.

The staff are really friendly and helpful - even to an English speaker like me.

Very reasonable and comfortable,

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I stayed at the Marriott Westmont recently for four nights. I was with my wife and 11 year old son. We got a special deal so the rate was very competitive, particularly because it includes a full hot buffet breakfast every day. The breakfast is not “brunch at the Ritz Carlton”, but it was always a nice start to our day. Our room was a suite with a fully equipped kitchen as well as a balcony offering a panorama of the city. It was clean and in very good condition. The hotel has a nice rooftop indoor pool which we used a couple of times. The parking garage with in/out privileges was another nice feature. The only complaint I share with others is the elevator situation in the hotel; there are only two and at peak times you may wait for up to five minutes to get one. I travel frequently and in general I am a big fan of Marriott, they are very customer focused and their product is very consistent, The Westmont is no exception.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank JB88fml
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights recently. The room was neat and clean - we had a bedroom, living room, balcony and kitchen stocked with everything you'd need if you wanted to stay in and cook. The breakfast was wonderful - hot and cold food, lots of variety and nicely laid out. The staff were very friendly and helpful - the front desk recommended several nearby restaurants - we tried two and they were great. It's located in a very pleasant neighbourhood. The metro is only two blocks away, and from there you can get anywhere in Montreal quickly and efficiently. Old Montreal and China town are ten minutes away by Metro, and the botanical gardens about twenty minutes away. Overall - a great place to stay.

3  Thank CanadaDonna