“Not as bad as some describe (for me at least)”

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount
Ranked #73 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I can't say I was much impressed with this hotel. On the other hand I have little to complain about either.

Something that will help you understand the previous reviews: this property used to be an apartment building. That explains why there are only 2 small elevators.

The room I had used to be an apartment, so it had a large bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen.

The price included a breakfast but it was pretty basic. I went the first 2 monrnigs and skipped it for the rest of my stay -- it's just not worth it.

To be sure there are better hotels in Montreal, but this one is not all that bad.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
17  Thank World_Citizen8
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Montreal Westmount

A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed 16 November 2005

I am a Silver Member and travel a lot during the year, i have stayed in different Marriott in Canada and USA, this is the worst one. Residence Inn Downtown (the one close to Peel metro station) is a lot better. We have reserved 2 rooms more than a month in advance and have requested close to each other , but when checked in the staff said the 2 rooms would be at different floors. Only after i repeated my request that they said there were 2 rooms next to each other, how come they did not arrange that in the first place! Then the breakfast room was crowded and there was a kitchen lady who was very rude. As the room was crowded, so we took food upstair but she questioned us in a very impolite manner. This ruin the start of the day. The a/c was very noisy and the lighting in living room was not sufficient. Have to wait the elevator for a long time, sometimes i have to use stair even i was at 8 floor. At check-out day no invoice was at our door at 7am, (but we have asked the front desk that we would got one at 5am on day of departure). There were errors on the invoice and the staff did not know how to fix it and asked us to wait til next shift to ask the day time staff. Would never stayed in this hotel in future.

Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 August 2005

As a silver elite Mariott Rewards member I stay at Residence Inn properties very often. This one is not deserving of the Mariott name and is certainly nowehere near the standard of your typical Residence Inn. Quite frankly, it was a dump. I must say however that the front desk staff was very friendly but that is the only positive comment I can make. Here were the problems: noisy a/c, tiny room, insufficent elevators (waited 20 mins to get to our room), no ice machines except for the top floor and the ice tray in our freezer was empty, crumbling outside deck without any chairs, uncomfortable bed and linens, poor quality towels (2 of them were stained). I would never stay at this property again. If the Mariott folks ever review it themselves I'm confident they would dump this place. I still trust the Mariott name, but certainly not like I did before staying at this hotel. Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere in beautiful Montreal.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 28 July 2005

I read some complimentary reviews but maybe those folks don't travel much or have kids and just want a place to crash and eat take -out pizza.
Depends on what you are looking for, but I have stayed at some very good Residence Inns in the southern part of the US and outside Toronto. This was not one of them. The front desk was very nice and helpful-that I agree with. However, the room left a lot to be desired. Noisy A/C, shabby carpet and uncomfortable bed. Balcony outside looked like it was ready to crumble (no chairs even if we'd wanted to sit out). Think this was a reconverted apt bldg. My husband called it a "dump".

The elevator situation is horrible-constant waiting for 2 tiny elevators.
Breakfast was a fiasco. They'd run out of lots of items and I got down there when they still had 45 min to serve. Very noisy and crowded. I grabbed 2 boxes of cereal and milk and took to our room. We ended up stopping for coffee and a muffin.

And yes the area is kind of seedy-lots of students living in big old homes converted to apts. with probably cheap rent. We did walk back from central downtown at night and didn't have any problems though. There are quite a few depanneurs (little groceries) in the area.

We were supposed to stay for 5 nts and checked out after 1 night .

Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank cadillac2
Reviewed 13 July 2005

For $198 CSD/night, we got a standard suite (queen bed, sitting area, kitchen) and a view of the water, plus breakfast in the morning. The bed was comfy and everything was functional but overall the room and bathroom appeared quite used...would have suggested a price closer to $120/night for the level of amenity.
Good walking distance from St Catherines and tons of noodle houses (it's a student area).

2  Thank rita_v
Reviewed 9 July 2005

Our family traveled from Florida to Montreal for a week (end of June - early July) and stayed at the Marriott Westmount. As a family of four, we travel on a budget, not luxury, so perhaps someone used to the Ritz would not be impressed - but we were!

As other reviewers have mentioned, the included breakfast was wonderful, but somewhat crowded. The manager herself was helping to move things along by tending the waffle makers on Saturday morning. In the suite, our kitchen was fully equipped to make and serve dinner for four - something we have rarely found in places claiming to be 'suites' with kitchens - and the housekeeping services include washing the dishes! There is also a free grocery shopping service. We didn't use it, since we wanted to see what was available in the local grocery for ourselves, but on a long-term stay it would have been nice. We were in Canada during a heat wave - 90 degrees and humid - and our a/c kept up just fine.

We thought the place was very clean, our housekeeping staff was great, and we had plenty of room when the sofabed was folded. The rooms and lobby really look just like the photos on the website, so there were no 'surprises.' For families like us, who do loads of laundry even on vacation, the laundry room was sparkling clean and pleasantly decorated, and the clothes were actually fully dry at the end of a cycle! Buy your detergent, etc at the grocery though - even if you only use half of it, it is cheaper than the $2 a load in the dispensers.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They had great advice about everything from where to get a pizza on Sunday night to the best viewing place for the Canada Day fireworks.

Two things keep this from being an 'excellent' rating: the elevators and the location. There are only two small elevators in the building, which the staff and guests grumble about equally. Since we were on the 16th floor, stairs were not an option, and there was usually a very long wait. The location is not bad for getting around - we could walk or catch the Metro to anywhere we wanted - but it is not in one of the nicer neighborhoods. There were a lot of graffiti, weedy yards, and trash around that we did not see in some of the other more central neighborhoods. There were panhandlers and drunks on the streets in the evening - no trouble, but I wouldn't want to be walking alone. I guess people used to living in large cities wouldn't notice so much, but it was uncomfortable for us.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it and return there. It was a great value and very comfortable for family travel.

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank CJMatt
Reviewed 3 July 2005

$200 CAD for this suite hotel was a rip-off! I guess I can see why someone would consider this nce if they have never stayed in a suite hotel before or have had a bad experience in the past. I would only spend $100 CAD here. I have been a part of Tripadvisor for a while now but this is the first time I felt that I needed to speak out about this hotel so others are not mislead like I was.

The picture gallery of all the picures I've found on the internet showed this hotel being really nice. Good thing about this hotel: nice lobby, free breakfast, free high speed internet if you have your own laptop. The parking is tight with columns dividing every space so you must be careful driving your car in. Good thing about parking is that there are elevators in the parking lot that goes straight up to your floor ONLY ON PARKING LEVELS 2 AND 5. The living room space is only the size of the sofabd. The linen is old, pillow case are washed but pilows are NOT and they smell. We open the balcony and there is water leaking from who knows where. If you have young children, becareful because there are spaces in the balcony---the walls of the balcony are not attached to each other. The washrooms are too tight for a suite and for the hallway, everyone can hear what you say in your suite! I've read on the internet that Old Montreal is about 30 mins walkign distance but the front desk says dont' walk it, take the subway because it is too far.
So overall this hotel is not worth your money, go elsewhere .

• Stayed: July 2005