“Friendly, helpful staff. Good breakfast and good location.”

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount
Ranked #72 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
New Jersey
“Friendly, helpful staff. Good breakfast and good location.”
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. Hotel lobby was very clean and inviting. We stayed here because we needed the separate bedroom and kitchenette for a family (parents and toddler). Hotel offered a crib free of charge, but we had our own. Our rate included free breakfast in the lobby restaurant which was very good. Offered was eggs, waffles, pancake, bacon, sausage, variety of breads and bagels, cereals, fruit, yogurts, coffee, tea and juices.

Nice location on a quiet residential street near Dawson College. Two blocks away is Atwater Metro station. If you have a car, there is a nice outdoor lot two blocks from the hotel on Rue Sherbrooke. The rate is 7$ CAD per day. You pay by leaving exact change in an envelope in a mail slot. Lot is very safe and spaces are always available. No attendant, come and go as you please.

Also two blocks away is Rue Sainte-Catherine. There you will find all sorts of restaurants; easily walk-able. Also, where Atwater Metro station is, there is a shopping mall that offers retail stores, a supermarket, and even a discount store similar to a Wal-Mart.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Located in a nice quiet residential neighborhood on the west end of Downtown. Withing Walking distance of the Atwater Metro. Clean, nice spacious rooms with kitchen. and a complimentary breakfast buffet. Underground parking, and a nice friendly bilingual staff.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Colorado
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights with my husband who is in Montreal on business. Here what I wish I had known before being stuck there.

The pool is very small, the photos on the web site make it seem much bigger. The "sauna" is a closet sized room in the individual bathrooms. The pool and fitness room closes relatively early (as do most places in Montreal). i asked if I could sit on the Patio, apparently it is more commonly referred to as a terrace, but no I could not sit outside in the sunshine, this was reserved for special use by the hotel. Several times the elevator got stuck on our floor, the doors would open, close, open, close. When we told the front desk he just said the elevators were old and sometimes you had to jump up and down a little to get it to work...c'est la vie!! Unbelievably I actually tried this, it didn't work. The balconies off the rooms seem like an after thought in the construction of the building, slabs of concrete, jutting out and pitched slightly at an angle downward, I assume to let the water run off from the cooler, which seems to be a swamp cooler, in a place with 80% humidity??? It was very, very noisy. The internet works well enough, but it's not wireless, like wireless internet is some newfangled technology in Canada. There was no table to eat at in our room, which was smaller than the suites. My husband's employer PRE-PAIDED for this room, but they tried to check him out prematurely twice. They also charged $200 to the credit card he gave (for things we might charge to the room) 5 DAYS AFTER WE CHECKED IN!! The explanation given by the front desk was they had to "make sure the card worked", so they arbitrarily charge $200, 5 days after we check in, without informing us they are going to do this. Front desk guy defended this logic saying "all hotels do this" and that "What if we put a hole in the wall"...Ummm, not any I've stayed in. And finally, the parking in expensive, $17.00 a night.

OK, here are the positives, for me, anyway. The beds were comfortable and the pillows down. The maid would do our dirty dishes for us. The room was clean. There is a laundry downstairs, $1.50 Canadian to wash and dry. There is a pretty big free breakfast. It's close to the metro (Atwater) and Starbuck.

Here's my advice, if you're over 22, stay in old Montreal. This is a college neighborhood, a little weird, and not a lot for a tourist to do.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank NazzColorado
RI_Management, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, 19 August 2009
We regret to hear of your disappointment with our property. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences the situation you described may have caused you.

Rest assured that we have investigated the different issues with everyone concerned and have taken corrective measures whenever it was possible. We have also passed on to the team the positive feedback about the room cleanliness and the comfort of the bed. Thank you for those important comments.

While we understand your frustration, please take note as future reference that our bigger suites do offer a dining space allowing guests to eat comfortably in their guestroom. We also wish to apologize for the misleading information you seemed to have been given about our pool and fitness room. As per our operating standards of service, our fitness room is opened 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and our pool opens everyday at 5 30 AM to only close at 10.30PM. This large window of accessibility provides enough flexibility to our leisure market as well as our business people to relax either before or after work and sometimes at both occasions. We empathize with your feelings about hotel policies at registration in regards to the settlement of the hotel bill. Take note however that the $ 200.00 charge you refer to was at no time charged to your credit card . The $ 200.00 means to be an estimated amount of the bill which is registered with your credit card company as a pre-approval and is never processed until you actually check out of the hotel and only processes the total final payment stated on your invoice.

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with others and invite you to contact the administrative office of the hotel should further assistance be needed.

Yours Truly,
Management
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I'm staying here for a long period, for business travel. The rooms are large, reasonably well fit out, and with a simple kitchen, and balcony. The staff are helpful, there is a good breakfast included, and the rooms are clean. There's a basic gym and pool on the top floor.. with a nice view of the mountain.
An extra lift would be appreciated... 2 lifts for 20 floors leaves you waiting quite often.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank slarnold
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 11 May 2009

If you don't mind sleeping on a brick, the place is nice. Another drawback is no hot tub, (which you will need by the end of the long walks you will be taking). Good breakfast with a lot of choices.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank StageCaptainC
Brick City NJ
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Stayed for a weekend at this hotel. I usually check reviews for any hotel that I am planning to stay at and this was no exception. This hotel has very decent reviews here and other places. I was very disappointed however and I am not a picky traveler, just want to get my money’s worth.

I was surprised at how small and uncomfortable the rooms were and how old/dated the rooms/things in the room were. It was nice to have a kitchen but everything was old. The bed was small and uncomfortable, the sheets old and torn in some places, same with the towels. You don’t expect this at a Marriot.

The room was clean but old and uncomfortable. This hotel is advertised as 3-4stars but it is no way even close. It was like staying at a decent motel. However the price of $150.00 per night is insane for this place. It is not worth half that price. I stayed at 4Seasons last year for the same price in a much better hotel in a better location.

Location is ok but nothing to write home about, you are better off staying on Sherbrooke between University and St. Laurent. There was always street parking available nearby so that is a plus. it was also nice to have a balcony, but it was not very useful since they dont even have any chairs or anything out there and you cant even smoke cigarettes on the balcony. I am not a smoker but it seemed like a strange rule for an outdoor balcony

Overall it is a decent motel experience but really bad for the value. For 150 a night, I expect way better rooms.

• Liked — free hight speed internet acees, free street parking
  • Disliked — old rooms, very expensive for the value, small rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank iraevski
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I personally prefer to stay at the Residence Inn (Business or Leisure). This was the worst hotel I have stayed at so far. Our stay started with the horrible parking experience. There were about 10 parking spots per floor in the underground parking. I had to wait there for about half an hour to find an empty spot. Then there was the elevator wait. I stood by the elevator for 15 min every time for it to arrive(I was on the 7th floor and started using the stairs in and out after experiencing the same problem about 2 times). Then there was the room. The fridge was at least 20 years old with a loud squeaking noise. Old carpet with a nasty smell. The balcony was filthy with algae on the floor from the water leaking out of the air conditioner. The front doors squeaked. The thermostat did not work. There was no exhaust in the washroom. The sofa bed was the most uncomfortable nights sleep ever. And they charge $1 for every local call.

Upon complaining about the above the response from the front desk was "We are working to make things better". They did not offer any fixing or regrets.

Never again will I stay here. I travel quite a lot to Montréal. I would suggest the four points hotel (Same price much better service with the valet parking).

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple