“Somewhat Disappointed....”

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount
Ranked #75 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 10 July 2006

We stayed at the Residence Inn this past weekend and I can't say it was a miseralble time but I have stayed in much better hotels. This was a last minute trip and this hotel was right for the price and it had a small kitchen where we could make our own breakfast. The staff was super nice and friendly. My only problems with this hotel was that the parking garage was horrible. Too small and cramped and very expensive for what you have to go through to park. But better than getting a ticket for the residential area parking.

I was really upset to see that on top of the 34+ dollars I was charged for the parking, I also had to pay for local calls!! I had no clue that calling a restaurant around the corner would cost me nearly $1.50. And we called several. Nice surprise when ready to check out!

Overall the hotel was very clean and neat. I brought my own pots to cook in and the cleaning lady did not put them into the dishwasher, uuuuurrrrggggghhhh! But all of the other dishes that were in the sink were put in. Was also ticked that the hotel advertises that each room has a private balcony. You cannot go onto the balconies as there is construction going on.

If you need someplace to stay on a whim, for not too much money, then this is your best bet but I am sure there are much better hotels in the area.

Note: This hotel is really close to a university and thus the neighborhood is in not such a good condition. Seemed somewhat safe though.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Cruisin_Diva1981

Reviewed 26 June 2006

We stayed there for a few days for a wedding. It is a good location near the old Forum. The hotel has lots of problems. The construction is one - first the garage is a mess. Bad to begin with, add the braces and it is awful.

Union is on strike - hope you like a choice of contruction noise or union chants. The temporary housekeeping is not great. They left tthe door open on my parents room.

We had a hotel room. Should have stayed in Old Montreal at the Springhill suites - and had a nice room.

We had a cubby kitcken. That was fine. But no place to eat - we had a desk chair (and desk) and another chair but no table to eat at. Also, only 2 dresser drawers. When I asked they said that this type room did not have these things and it is a Residence Inn so no place to put suite cases. KInd of worse of all worlds.

We stayed in Syracuse at the Courtyard and in Toronto in a Courtyard and they where much better.

Marriott should get rid of this blemish on their reputation. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank Dave-OH
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I can't say I was much impressed with this hotel. On the other hand I have little to complain about either.

Something that will help you understand the previous reviews: this property used to be an apartment building. That explains why there are only 2 small elevators.

The room I had used to be an apartment, so it had a large bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen.

The price included a breakfast but it was pretty basic. I went the first 2 monrnigs and skipped it for the rest of my stay -- it's just not worth it.

To be sure there are better hotels in Montreal, but this one is not all that bad.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
17  Thank World_Citizen8
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed 16 November 2005

I am a Silver Member and travel a lot during the year, i have stayed in different Marriott in Canada and USA, this is the worst one. Residence Inn Downtown (the one close to Peel metro station) is a lot better. We have reserved 2 rooms more than a month in advance and have requested close to each other , but when checked in the staff said the 2 rooms would be at different floors. Only after i repeated my request that they said there were 2 rooms next to each other, how come they did not arrange that in the first place! Then the breakfast room was crowded and there was a kitchen lady who was very rude. As the room was crowded, so we took food upstair but she questioned us in a very impolite manner. This ruin the start of the day. The a/c was very noisy and the lighting in living room was not sufficient. Have to wait the elevator for a long time, sometimes i have to use stair even i was at 8 floor. At check-out day no invoice was at our door at 7am, (but we have asked the front desk that we would got one at 5am on day of departure). There were errors on the invoice and the staff did not know how to fix it and asked us to wait til next shift to ask the day time staff. Would never stayed in this hotel in future.

Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 August 2005

As a silver elite Mariott Rewards member I stay at Residence Inn properties very often. This one is not deserving of the Mariott name and is certainly nowehere near the standard of your typical Residence Inn. Quite frankly, it was a dump. I must say however that the front desk staff was very friendly but that is the only positive comment I can make. Here were the problems: noisy a/c, tiny room, insufficent elevators (waited 20 mins to get to our room), no ice machines except for the top floor and the ice tray in our freezer was empty, crumbling outside deck without any chairs, uncomfortable bed and linens, poor quality towels (2 of them were stained). I would never stay at this property again. If the Mariott folks ever review it themselves I'm confident they would dump this place. I still trust the Mariott name, but certainly not like I did before staying at this hotel. Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere in beautiful Montreal.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 28 July 2005

I read some complimentary reviews but maybe those folks don't travel much or have kids and just want a place to crash and eat take -out pizza.
Depends on what you are looking for, but I have stayed at some very good Residence Inns in the southern part of the US and outside Toronto. This was not one of them. The front desk was very nice and helpful-that I agree with. However, the room left a lot to be desired. Noisy A/C, shabby carpet and uncomfortable bed. Balcony outside looked like it was ready to crumble (no chairs even if we'd wanted to sit out). Think this was a reconverted apt bldg. My husband called it a "dump".

The elevator situation is horrible-constant waiting for 2 tiny elevators.
Breakfast was a fiasco. They'd run out of lots of items and I got down there when they still had 45 min to serve. Very noisy and crowded. I grabbed 2 boxes of cereal and milk and took to our room. We ended up stopping for coffee and a muffin.

And yes the area is kind of seedy-lots of students living in big old homes converted to apts. with probably cheap rent. We did walk back from central downtown at night and didn't have any problems though. There are quite a few depanneurs (little groceries) in the area.

We were supposed to stay for 5 nts and checked out after 1 night .

Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank cadillac2
Reviewed 13 July 2005

For $198 CSD/night, we got a standard suite (queen bed, sitting area, kitchen) and a view of the water, plus breakfast in the morning. The bed was comfy and everything was functional but overall the room and bathroom appeared quite used...would have suggested a price closer to $120/night for the level of amenity.
Good walking distance from St Catherines and tons of noodle houses (it's a student area).

2  Thank rita_v