“Wonderful Property”

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount
Ranked #75 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 12 January 2007

Stayed at this property Jan 5-9, 2007. The location is a little ways out from the "tourist" areas, but it was not a bad walk to Rue St Catherine or Blvd Maisonneuve were one could find plenty of restaurants and shops. The metro (which gets you to many sites in the city) was only 2 blocks from the hotel. The neighborhood is not beautiful but encountered no problems, hotel exterior is blah but the lobby/public areas are very comfortable. Checkin/out was very quick and efficient, the hotel personel were very friendly - greeted everyone in English & French and then in the guests language on subsiquent meetings. The room was basic - but all I need is a good bed and a bathroom. The room had those plus a balcony and a fully equiped kichen. Our room was next to the elevator but the bathroom blocked any noise from it "entering" the rest of the room. It was nice to have the option of the buffet breakfast - the menu was scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, waffles, a variety of cereals, fruit, yogurt, and breads/pastries. Very good selection. The pool was on the top floor and very nice (on a clear day probably had a great view). Will definately stay at this property on future visits to Montreal.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Twinaisle

Reviewed 29 October 2006

when i arrived at the hotel in Montréal i was greeted by the housekeeping staff on strike... apon checking in the hotel and arriving in the room i open the curtains and to my shock there was dirt on the outside of the window (there were doing renovations on the balcony) breakfast was good the staff was not very helpful at all sent me in the wrong area twice when i received the proper directions the front desk manager i was quite pleasant and gave me the directions for the area I was looking for. I will say this staff over all was exactly was I expected in a Marriott property.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 July 2006

I have to say first that the Residence Inn was once a medium sized apartment building that has been converted into a hotel. So, keep that in mind. First, the hotel is very clean; rooms, foyer, etc. I never saw any problems whatsoever, and I like rooms clean! My friend stayed there 3 years ago, and I stayed there (with same friend) in July 2006. I'm not too sure about the $175 cdn per night, think it could be more like $120?
The lobby is just like in the pictures. As mentioned by others, there are only 2 elevators, so you may have to wait a little bit, but not terrible. The free breakfast wasn't bad. My friend mentioned that is was a continental breakfast, but there was cereal, yogurt, small pancakes, sausage patties, scrambled eggs, bread, bagels, juice, tea and coffee. You could eat here no problem, but the pancakes were a little dry and flat :( They also have free hors-d'oeuvres about 4 nights during the week. One night they had chicken nuggets, salad, mini quiche, bread rolls, juice, and coffee/tea. So, having said that, I will say that if you are used to big name hotels that have the nice buffet set out, looking all pretty, you will not find it at the Residence. It is much more casual fare, something you may throw together for yourself and your kids if your were at home, but still laid out okay. The room in which they serve the food is small, and can be a bit noisy. There are a number of tables out in the lobby area, which are more quiet, and cooler.
We had a room on the 14th floor, which was clean and bright. The furniture was clean, did not appear well used at all, and was comfortable. I slept in the king size bed in the bedroom, and my friend slept on the pull out couch. You have to make up the bed in the pull out, so be prepared for that--bed stuff is in the hall closet. I read stuff about the A/C being loud, but you know, that is with a lot of hotels, but not the big name ones. It wasn't extremely loud, but it reminded me of when my family and friends have stayed in motels with window A/C, so it is about that noise level, but it didn't bother us. There was plenty of space to put away clothing, etc. There is large closet in bedroom, along with drawers in chest. Also chest of drawers in living room in front of pull out couch. The kitchen is great, having all utensils, plates, pots, etc for you. Great size fridge, but microwave probably should be replaced. Stove was older, but very clean.
There is a balcony for each hotel room, but, it is a standard apartment balcony, with no chairs or anything, and there is some water which is just from the air conditioner unit. Also, people may go out there to smoke, and our balcony had not been cleaned of cigarette butts. I didn't really care, because I would never use the balcony anway, but the "dirtiness" of it could turn people off.
Now to the comments about the general area. Yes, this area of Montreal is not like being directly downtown. You walk down the end of the street, and you see graffiti, and some people don't take care of their gardens. It almost seems dirty looking sometimes. There are a lot of panhandlers/beggars, whatever you want to call them. I think Montreal needs to do a clean sweep of these people. That was one thing that turned me off, and may turn off a lot of tourists that are not used to that. You will have to walk by them (most of them are sitting) but be prepared for some of them to come right up to you. Again, just make a point of walking away. Most of these people were on the main streets, and also in downtown Montreal. This is a Montreal problem, cause they are everywhere.
I will say that I never felt unsafe. I think the area might make you feel that way, just because it doesn't look great, etc, but my friend and I walked at night a few times, but there were also other people out, and we were okay.
If you are someone who really likes the large name hotel experience (room service, large foyers, restaurant, lots of elevators, immaculate rooms, etc, etc), then do NOT go to this hotel. Go to one of the hotels in direct downtown Montreal. If you can handle the idea that for your stay, it would be like living in an apartment building, but with free food, and front desk help, then you could probably handle staying here. You have to remember, this is a RESIDENTIAL area, not the pristine streets of a metropolitan city. If you want shops, be really close to old Montreal, etc, then go to the downtown hotels.
Have I made you understand what type of hotel this is? Like I said, it would be like living in an apartment in a residential area of Montreal. No fancy shwancy stuff. It is quiet, there are no problems there. Again, I want to prepare you that Montreal is not always clean looking, the graffiti, etc may turn you off as you start walking down to the main street, and which you may see at their Metro (train station), but other than that, Montreal is a busy, interesting place, with MANY places to eat. If you want some interesting nightlife, go to Crescent street. Montrealers love their patios, and this street is full of them, and is THE partying place at night, mostly Friday and Saturday. For a great breakfast, go to Burgers&Benedicts (at the Pepsi Forum, just a couple blocks down). I had the 2 eggs with meat plate for $6.00, and it came on a big plate. Lots of bacon and grilled potatoes, etc. Very good food. Have a great time if you go, and make sure you visit old Montreal, it is fascinating with the architecture, cobbled streets, etc.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
6  Thank suite
Reviewed 12 July 2006

I should first say that I don't travel much and have only stayed at a few hotels in the past. The reviews I read didn't seem too bad, and since this hotel is run by Marriott I decided to give it a try. I was going away for just the weekend so I wanted a nice, comfortable place to stay. My room was indeed comfortable, clean, and quiet and also spacious. I booked a one bedroom queen suite and there was a separate bedroom, living area including a dining table and desk, and kitchen. More than enough for just one person. This hotel is ideal for families and others who plan to stay in Montreal for over a week. I was so busy, I didn't even have time to use the kitchen, which was one of the main reason's I chose this hotel. If you are only going to stay in Montreal chose another hotel. Residence is on the very edge of downtown, and I was very disappointed to be so far from the action because I had hoped to walk to most places, but the only way to get to any attractions is by taking the Metro or a cab. Stay somewhere more centrally located. But I will say that there is a Metro station close by and the front desk staff are very friendly. Also, the room I stayed in, room 1703, though the balcony was closed for repairs, I had a great view of the mountain, so be sure to ask for a room on that side of the building.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank SoloTraveler44
Reviewed 10 July 2006

We stayed at the Residence Inn this past weekend and I can't say it was a miseralble time but I have stayed in much better hotels. This was a last minute trip and this hotel was right for the price and it had a small kitchen where we could make our own breakfast. The staff was super nice and friendly. My only problems with this hotel was that the parking garage was horrible. Too small and cramped and very expensive for what you have to go through to park. But better than getting a ticket for the residential area parking.

I was really upset to see that on top of the 34+ dollars I was charged for the parking, I also had to pay for local calls!! I had no clue that calling a restaurant around the corner would cost me nearly $1.50. And we called several. Nice surprise when ready to check out!

Overall the hotel was very clean and neat. I brought my own pots to cook in and the cleaning lady did not put them into the dishwasher, uuuuurrrrggggghhhh! But all of the other dishes that were in the sink were put in. Was also ticked that the hotel advertises that each room has a private balcony. You cannot go onto the balconies as there is construction going on.

If you need someplace to stay on a whim, for not too much money, then this is your best bet but I am sure there are much better hotels in the area.

Note: This hotel is really close to a university and thus the neighborhood is in not such a good condition. Seemed somewhat safe though.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Cruisin_Diva1981
Reviewed 26 June 2006

We stayed there for a few days for a wedding. It is a good location near the old Forum. The hotel has lots of problems. The construction is one - first the garage is a mess. Bad to begin with, add the braces and it is awful.

Union is on strike - hope you like a choice of contruction noise or union chants. The temporary housekeeping is not great. They left tthe door open on my parents room.

We had a hotel room. Should have stayed in Old Montreal at the Springhill suites - and had a nice room.

We had a cubby kitcken. That was fine. But no place to eat - we had a desk chair (and desk) and another chair but no table to eat at. Also, only 2 dresser drawers. When I asked they said that this type room did not have these things and it is a Residence Inn so no place to put suite cases. KInd of worse of all worlds.

We stayed in Syracuse at the Courtyard and in Toronto in a Courtyard and they where much better.

Marriott should get rid of this blemish on their reputation. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank Dave-OH
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I can't say I was much impressed with this hotel. On the other hand I have little to complain about either.

Something that will help you understand the previous reviews: this property used to be an apartment building. That explains why there are only 2 small elevators.

The room I had used to be an apartment, so it had a large bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen.

The price included a breakfast but it was pretty basic. I went the first 2 monrnigs and skipped it for the rest of my stay -- it's just not worth it.

To be sure there are better hotels in Montreal, but this one is not all that bad.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business