“An epensive disaster”
Review of Auberge Bonsecours

Auberge Bonsecours
Ranked #36 of 146 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I booked a room for 3 adults online and was asked for a credit card number. Since my parents were paying for the trip, I called and asked them not to charge me on my card, but to do it on my dad´s as soon as we came in. They said there´d no problem doing that. We arrived at the Auberge at 8pm. The lady working there said she´d been waiting for us. They´d charged the first night in my credit card (as I specifically asked them not to). They cancelled the payment and charged my dad upfront for the three nights. The lady also gave us 3 keys and said that there wouldn´t be anyone working there at night, so we had to keep the keys with us to get in if we went out.
We went out and came back, it was raining and we spent 15 mins trying to open the front door, there was no roof so we got soaked, and there was nobody to call for help. We finally managed to get in. I opened my bed and there was a disgusting surprise, the sheets were not clean, there was hair all over the pillow and sheets. Again, there was no one there to complain to. The next morning I told the employee (which the I found out was the only person working there, making breakfast, cleaning the rooms, answering the phone, etc) and she said that they always change the sheets, that it might have been the drying machine that left hair on the sheets. I knew that wasn´t true.
Also, my dad told her about the problems with the lock, and that it needed some oil, she answered that she couldn´t do anything without asking the owner for permission.
Also, we had to change rooms for the last night because our room was booked. We knew that, so there was no problem. The thing is that the new room wasn´t ready, so the lady said that we should either wait until 2pm, or leave our stuff packed so that she could put it in the new room when it was ready.
The rooms were small, the ceiling too low, so we kept hitting our heads against it when we got up from bed.
I think that it wouldn´t be so bad if the owner wasn´t so cheap to have only one employee working there.
Also, they should improve the internet signal, it barely works.
I definetly won´t be coming back there, I do not recommend this place, it´s expensive and not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Sheila1983
There are newer reviews for Auberge Bonsecours

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Position and price make this "auberge" a very good deal. It resembles a b&b, but it has got rooms with private bathroom. I was there with my family and the four of us were sharing a room with two queen size beds. The room was a bit too small for our purpose, for instance not much place for four suitcases. Considering it was Montreal, the bagels at the breakfast were the biggest let down: I wasn't able to finish half of it :( Overall though the environment is pretty cozy and we enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Auberge Bonsecours, at 353 St Paul, is just a bit east of Place Jacques Cartier. St. Paul is a beautiful cobblestone street, part of which is closed for pedestrians only. Marche Bonsecours is right across the street. Many lovely restaurants with outside seating very close by. The auberge itself was absolutely lovely. Beautiful decor, artwork to enjoy, clean, comfortable. The 2 young women who were working there (Amandine and Manon) are from France and were fabulous. They made us feel so comfortable and welcome. The auberge has 7 rooms, all different. We started out in Room 1 on the main floor. It was quite “petite” but still comfortable. However, at breakfast we mentioned that we had heard the reception phone ring in the night and the doorbell. We weren’t complaining, but we were immediately offered to move to a room on another floor for the next night. We spent our second night in Room 5 and it was lovely as well; a bit bigger and quieter.

It was very hot when we were there and the air conditioning worked very well which made the nights very comfortable. Lovely breakfast included. The coffee was fabulous!

The entrance is set back in a court yard, so it is quiet. The gate on the street is locked at 10 p.m. (guests have a key). Places outside to sit and relax as well – tables in the court yard and a large 3rd floor terrace. A 5 minute walk around the corner and up the street to the depanneur for a reasonable wine selection (if one happens not to think about it in time to get to one of the nicer wine shops!).

We would definitely go back for another visit!

Room Tip: Room 1 on main level is just off the reception area (a bit noisy) & small. Room 5 lovely but sky...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tracy154954
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We took a mini-vacation (older folks style) to Montreal and located Auberge Bonsecours through trip advisor. A wonderful choice: perfect location in old city Montreal, and we were here for Independence Day which meant great seats for montreal's Fireworks display. We came sans automobiles: were able to walk to many tourist interests and close to the Metro for things further away. Restaurants nearby abound; shopping is great; and the quiet of the old city in the early morning and the quays are worth everything....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank calvero
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We found the Auberge Bonsecours through Tripadvisor, and absolutely loved it. Fortunately we only live a couple hours away, so we hope to be back often. Montreal is a great place to visit, but this place is definitely a highlight in itself. It feels like a piece of France, yet with an old Quebec flavour. Personal service, great breakfast, overall wonderfully charming.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Evan_L1
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This B&B is quite charming with lots of character. The owner and hosts are polite, helpful and really nice. My husband and I stayed for 3 days while we were in Montreal. There wasn't a moment that passed, day or night, that someone off the street didn't come into courtyard to look at the hotel. As an old converted stable it has a lot of architectural interest and is well cared for.
It is petite with 7 rooms. We stayed in 2 different ones only because by the time we booked we could not get 3 nights in the same room. We stayed in room #5 for 2 nights. It is very nice, quiet and on the top floor. The room is large enough but a little portion of it is under the eaves so you have to be careful not to bump your head. Don't let this stop you from staying in the room! It is very nice.
For the last night we moved to room 3. It has 2 double beds so there's plenty of room. The only inconvenience we had we was that our "neighbors" came back to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning and they were talking quite loud. This room is not soundproof. We may have accidentally banged on the wall once or twice and coincidentally they stopped talking so loud. But this could happen in any hotel.

The breakfast buffet is also quite nice with fresh and local food. Yes, the coffee is very good!
I only wish the cost per room was a wee bit less. You are paying for it's charm and location. Overall, well done and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meryl98
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Amazing bed&breakfast. The owner is super helpful, welcoming, and friendly. Rooms are clean and cozy. The auberge has a perfect location and everything is in walkable distance. The hotel has a great atmosphere and felt like we were staying at a friend's house instead of at a hotel.

Family from Slovenia