“Greatest Cheap Hotel in the Old Port Montreal”

Auberge Casa de Mateo
Ranked #99 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
“Greatest Cheap Hotel in the Old Port Montreal”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

For the price and location, i would recommend this place to anyone visiting Montreal to spend less on hotel spots and more on the cities' great activities.

The receptionist was very polite and responded to all of my needs. The restaurant downstairs really accommodates the hotel's overall relaxing ambiance with it's Mexican theme.

I would go stay here again in heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

So I went with my boyfriend for a nice romantic getaway in Montreal for 4 days, and we chose Casa de Mateo for the location and the nice comments on the mexican romantic feeling.
The location was excellent indeed, and the room size was ok, however the mattress was very hard, there was no room service at all (we stayed 4 nights and we never had our bed done) and there was no-one at reception ever. When we first arrived we had to go to the mexican restaurant (to the kitchen) to find someone to check us in.
The breakfast was a cup of coffee or tea, a croissant with jam, an orange and a yoghurt, but it was free so no complaints.
Finally, our room was at the 4th floor and it was a though walk up (no elevators), so I would not recommend it to older people.
Overall, I would only come back if I had a very tight budget... if you have a little extra cash, go to another of the romantic auberges available at the old port.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor, the stairs are very steep and there is no elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carla R

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We enjoyed our week long stay and the hospitality offered at the Casa de Mateo. The breakfast has the added ambiance of Old Montreal; and at dinner one evening we were impressed with the roving musicians. We would return again.

Paul Shew

Room Tip: Not fancy, but a great value and very nice people
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Paul S
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Pros: Great location. Decent room size. Nice bathroom. Breakfast was included from the restaurant downstairs. Breakfast was delicious. Sometimes hung out there at night for a drink before bed.

Cons: Rooms could be upgraded or re decorated to look more modern. Bed was a bit firm.

Overall, would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen M
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Today I leave the Casa de Mateo with a smile on my face. I have been sightseeing around North America on my own for quite some time now, and I need a break from hostels sometimes. Budget hotels are usually horrible. Casa de Mateo is the perfect balance between hostel and hotel, with great service and value for money. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see Montreal on a budget. It is in the best location, and breakfast is included. What more could you want.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Michael C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at Casa De Mateo for 3 nights for the fireworks in Montreal. We called ahead to ask if our 4 month old mini poodle was allowed. They said they accept small dogs. The floor in the room clearly was not cleaned before our arrival, and to make things worse, there were toenails on the bay window seating area. I requested that this be cleaned 3 times, and the woman who owns the building refused to clean the room. She was rude and even went as far as suggesting that the nails were my dogs'. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The stress and frustration I endured trying to get my room cleaned (without success) was not worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Christine L
casademateo, Manager at Auberge Casa de Mateo, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
As we all rememeber your presence at the Auberge because the hotel is a no pet allowed and we kindly accepted that you bring your little dog in the room as you said there will be no noise and dirtiness. We had busy weekend and we got overloaded complain from other guests from the Auberge from your dog. Your dog has urinated in all the floor and we, as managers cleaned up the stairs and the floor everytime your dog entered or exited from the auberge. Housekeeper cleaned your room at least one or two times a day. And finally the day you wanted to check out, with all the disrespect that you and your partner have made to everyone and also the untruthful review, we always try to serve our guests as best as we can with respect.
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a fantastic deal if you don't care about your hotel and just want to see the sights. Please don't mistake this place for a romantic getaway. At forty dollars a night in the Old Montreal section it's a steal. It's clean, spare and functional and the gentleman who met me at the door couldn't have been nicer. The deal about this place is the location. Right in the heart of Old Montreal. I had a single with shared bath and on fourth of July weekend it seemed like I was the only one there. If you want romantic go across the street for $189.00 to Auberge Bonaparte if you want cheap and clean come here. I reserved on the internet and paid $50!! So reserve directly to the hotel.

Room Tip: The professional photos are a little over romanticized. Think YMCA penzion
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo