“Unacceptable”

Mississauga, Canada
“Unacceptable”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel Europeenne
We booked this hotel through hotels.com and were thoroughly disappointed. The pictures are misleading. The rooms were dirty and the shower moldy. The blankets on the beds had holes as if moths had eaten away on them.
When we let the staff know we were having trouble with the wifi we were told we still had one of the rooms with the “good wifi access”. The staff suggested to us to sit close behind the door of the room to get better access.
The so called breakfast in the morning that is included in the price consisted of the choice between a dry croissant and a dry muffin served in the cramped little lobby of the hotel.
We moved to the Comfort hotel next door for our second night. The staff was unhelpful and did not even care to find out why we were willing to lose the money for the second night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angelika8888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I and my family stayed in this hotel in July 2013. The hotel is relatively clean (not exceptionally though - there were breadcrumbs on the fridge when we arrived, they remained there for the whole stay, so cleaning is limited to changing the beds, towels and vacuuming). There was a very strong smell of some cheap chemical in the room when we walked in, but it evaporated in an hours.

Staff was not too friendly but not rude either. Just doing the job without enjoing it too much. Staff speaks English. The maid once walked into the room without knocking, which scared the hell out of me, but other than that - no complains with the staff.

WiFi in the room was sporadic, but sufficient to do basic browsing and send a few emails. Don't expect watching streaming video though.

Breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, croissants and muffins. Nothing spectacular, but it was fresh, free and tasty, no complains.

Now, the location. I read a few reviews complaining about the noise from the next-door bus terminal. Turned out, it was the old bus terminal, which was already shut down when we arrived (it moved 2 blocks north), so there was no noise in our room.

Overall location of this hotel is not bad - walking distance from St. Catherines and not too far from all the fun (we actually walked to the Hotel from the train station and waked from the Hotel to downtown. Bus terminal is nearby (we took a bus for a day trip to Quebec City - loved it!), subway station is across the corner as well.

The only bad thing about location - there is a small square next to the hotel, which seems to be a hanging place for drunks - there are dozens of them, sleeping on the banches, jaywalking around. Police presense is visible, we did not feel unsafe, but not amused either.

My first time in Montreal, I took a walk along St. Catherines (I LOVE walking in a new city). If you go west on St. Catherines, you will see some of the key attractions Montreal has to offer (e.g., festivals), however then I went EAST on St. Catherines - bad, bad idea: once I was few quarters passed the Gay Village, I entered into a shady area with nothing to see but impoverishment and trouble, don't go there.

So, overall - acceptable place for the price, it's a 2-star hotel, sufficent if you need not much more than a roof over your head for a reasonable price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Noisy room, staff unfriendly, breakfast basic to say the least, neighourhood dubious.
My room was facing the small courtyard at back, and there was constant noise from inside the hotel and outside.
Had to get my earplugs out, otherwise sleep was impossible.
With earplugs it was fine.
I realise it's a budget hotel, but still. Should have spent a little more.

Room Tip: best avoid alltogether
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ottotravels

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I had a confirmation for a room with two double beds, non smoking, and air conditioning. When I checked in, the only room available was one with one double bed and a single one and there was no air conditioning available. The guy at reception told me if I wasn't happy with the room, I could get another one the next day. The next day I asked the lady at reception for another room only to be told that there was none available. The following day I noticed a few insect bites on one of my arms. I brushed it off as a few mosquito bites. By the end of my stay, I had bites all over my hands, arms, neck, a few on my face, back, and shoulders. I was told by a pharmacist that they were bed bug bites and he recommended I visit my doctor immediately. I had to throw out my luggage and clothes so as to not bring them to my home. The bites started to heal after applying ointments and a whole week after leaving the hotel. I lost more than I thought I would save staying at this hotel. The owners of the hotel must have known about the bed bugs as they kept the room hot and it was the only one not rented out. Shame on them!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank memem4546
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have stayed in this hotel many times when in Montreal for the weekend. I find the location great and I can walk to everything or jump on the Subway as the station is just down the street. The hotel isn't much to look at on the outside, however its clean, the staff is very friendly, and the value for your money is great. The rooms are not luxuries, however they have a comfortable bed, a nice TV and are clean. The only issue is they don't have parking, however there is a very nice secure paid parking garage just down the street with great weekend rates. So I usually park my car on a Friday night and i don't see it again till Sunday morning, as i sad you can walk anywhere. I would say if you want a nice sleep and a great price then this is a hotel you should stay at.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Third Floor
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here for a couple weeks, so I really got a feel for the place.

The hotel is run by an east Indian family. The woman who works during the day is just miserable. It seems like you bother her if you ask a question, or request anything.

The 10pm curfew was strange, they don't really enforce it unless the person looks " undesirable" to them.

Th location Is great. I had a low floor room, and the room was a good size, cable tv, the Internet was a bit slow. The room was clean.

The guy who works nights was much nicer, and funny. We had a few conversations urging the week. The woman during th day I jus couldn't stand, and I am a very laid back person.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AnnieO_70
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This was a great little budget hotel! Über warm however you could open the windows if need be. The rooms were clean, shower was hot & had good water pressure, and the staff was great! Free wifi and little fridge in the room as well:) Location - the hotel is a 3min walk away from STM metro station which is awesome.

Now sure with a hotel like this, you'll get a few "sketchy" guests as well, however it's like that at other hotels regardless of the price point. I liked the fact that you had to be buzzed into the hotel at all hours....safety first!

This is a no-frou frou place, however if all you're looking for is a warm, safe, clean place to lay your head while enjoying Montréal, than I so recommend this place!

Bonnes vacances!