“Had a great stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #128 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
“Had a great stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

After reading a lot of negative reviews about Hotel Europeene, I was doubting whether I should book a room but I just couldn't pass on such a great price as I was a student traveling solo. I'm definitely glad I decided to stay! If you expect a 5-star hotel, you're certainly going to be disappointed. I'm not too particular on little things and really enjoyed it here. There was definitely no smoke smell as other reviews suggested. The free breakfast was the same everyday and consisted of coffee, tea, juice, croissants, and muffins. My room seemed clean but there was no air conditioner (room #41). I thought being on the top floor would be very warm but I was lucky that the week I was there had cooler weather. I had no troubles with wifi and was even able to stream TV shows on my tablet. The staff were very friendly and all spoke fluent English. The hotel was within walking distance of nearly everything I wanted to do in Montreal. There's a subway and bus station right around the corner with direct bus access to and from the airport 24/7. Couldn't have chosen a better place at a budget price for my week in the city!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Adam C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

You could say that the motel is in the center of the city. Unfortunately there is no parking, but next door is $ 12/24. Room very small, clean. We had a window "inside" so it was quite noisy from air conditioning. Breakfast in price (low) bagels, juice, tea, coffee, fruit, etc.. Room TV and a fridge.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5Emilia
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Great location near to pretty much all the areas we wanted to go and also near Berri-Uqam station which was handy. The whole street was filled with hotels actually. Basic and clean with friendly night shift staff who ave us great tips on where to eat and what to do in Montreal. There was a bar fridge in the room which was quite handy and there was also decent wifi

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Paid $120 a night to stay in a shoe-box of a room... before this experience I didn't even realize that such tiny hotel rooms exist. If you are a normal 3-dimensional person (I am quite skinny), you may want to look for some other place (the Sandman is a pretty good choice, in my opinion).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank opoki072

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

The rooms were small but clean (although we checked for bed bugs just in case). There is a nice TV and a small fridge in the room. The hotel has a very central location. It's close to Berri-Uqam Metro station and right next to the bus station. The street itself gets a little dodgy at night because there are many homeless people in the area but it wasn't scary.

There are no lifts so you will have to carry your bags up yourself. Breakfast consists of muffins and croissants with coffee. One issue we had was the wifi. The signal wasn't strong enough so we had to go to the lobby to surf.

As for the staff, most of them are quite helpful. The younger staff speak English while the older gentleman speaks mostly French. If you need to book a tour and don't speak French, wait for the younger guys. Overall, a reasonably priced hotel for those on a budget.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor seem to be roomier but there seems to be no wifi signal in that area
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ab612
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel Europeenne
We booked this hotel through hotels.com and were thoroughly disappointed. The pictures are misleading. The rooms were dirty and the shower moldy. The blankets on the beds had holes as if moths had eaten away on them.
When we let the staff know we were having trouble with the wifi we were told we still had one of the rooms with the “good wifi access”. The staff suggested to us to sit close behind the door of the room to get better access.
The so called breakfast in the morning that is included in the price consisted of the choice between a dry croissant and a dry muffin served in the cramped little lobby of the hotel.
We moved to the Comfort hotel next door for our second night. The staff was unhelpful and did not even care to find out why we were willing to lose the money for the second night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angelika8888
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I and my family stayed in this hotel in July 2013. The hotel is relatively clean (not exceptionally though - there were breadcrumbs on the fridge when we arrived, they remained there for the whole stay, so cleaning is limited to changing the beds, towels and vacuuming). There was a very strong smell of some cheap chemical in the room when we walked in, but it evaporated in an hours.

Staff was not too friendly but not rude either. Just doing the job without enjoing it too much. Staff speaks English. The maid once walked into the room without knocking, which scared the hell out of me, but other than that - no complains with the staff.

WiFi in the room was sporadic, but sufficient to do basic browsing and send a few emails. Don't expect watching streaming video though.

Breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, croissants and muffins. Nothing spectacular, but it was fresh, free and tasty, no complains.

Now, the location. I read a few reviews complaining about the noise from the next-door bus terminal. Turned out, it was the old bus terminal, which was already shut down when we arrived (it moved 2 blocks north), so there was no noise in our room.

Overall location of this hotel is not bad - walking distance from St. Catherines and not too far from all the fun (we actually walked to the Hotel from the train station and waked from the Hotel to downtown. Bus terminal is nearby (we took a bus for a day trip to Quebec City - loved it!), subway station is across the corner as well.

The only bad thing about location - there is a small square next to the hotel, which seems to be a hanging place for drunks - there are dozens of them, sleeping on the banches, jaywalking around. Police presense is visible, we did not feel unsafe, but not amused either.

My first time in Montreal, I took a walk along St. Catherines (I LOVE walking in a new city). If you go west on St. Catherines, you will see some of the key attractions Montreal has to offer (e.g., festivals), however then I went EAST on St. Catherines - bad, bad idea: once I was few quarters passed the Gay Village, I entered into a shady area with nothing to see but impoverishment and trouble, don't go there.

So, overall - acceptable place for the price, it's a 2-star hotel, sufficent if you need not much more than a roof over your head for a reasonable price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family