“Honeymoon Hideaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sunset Suites
Riverside, California
“Honeymoon Hideaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here in May 2014 for our Honeymoon trip to Montreal. I knew just from the description that it would be much better alternative to a hotel in the city, because we wanted peace and quite, and room to stretch our legs, and that is exactly what we got! It only took us about 25 minutes total to get to the main city from here on foot and using public transit every time, and we didn't have to deal with the hustle and bustle (NOISE) of being in the heart of Montreal.
I especially decided on this location because of the full kitchen that is provided, and it was wonderful, helping us cook romantic meals together out of the goods we gathered at the open-air market. I have zero complaints about this place, which actually surprised me because I am very critical when it comes hotels (I work in one). The staff were very professional and helpful with advice about what to do, how to get to where we wanted to go, etc. Also, free wi-fi!
The apartment was WONDERFUL, very modern feel (we got a renovated room), with a full kitchen, open dining area, comfortable television area, nicely renovated bathroom, and a very comfortable bedroom. The art on every wall was also a treat to look at, and even though we had a view of the freeway, it was actually quite a nice view.
The location is very convenient, with a 7 minute walk to several great shops (a chocolate store, a cafe, a shoe store, sushi restaurant, pizza restaurant, smoothie shop, etc), and a 15 minute walk to major bus stops and the Tram that can take you anywhere you want to go. There is are several small parks within 5 minutes, and a big community park 10 minutes away. We definitely plan to return for an anniversary, and recommend this location to our friends. It is also about an 11 minute straight shot to the airport as long as the taxi driver isn't an idiot. The price is good as well for a week+ stay package, considering the hotels in the city can get VERY pricey very fast. If I was staying at the hotel I work at in the US at our regular rate it would have been more expensive there for lower value.
We couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon home, honestly.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room (they will finish renovating very soon it looks like, but just in case!), e...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank icsk8grrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation for a two bedroom apartment and when I got there it was so dirty and rundown I decided to leave right away.

I had to spend the night there while I looked online for a new place to go to. The wifi is terrible, most of the outlets in the apartment weren't working, and the bathrooms were dirty. One of them was actually still under renovation.

The apartment is a long walk away from a metro station and far from anywhere that sells food. Not a convenient location at all.

Trust me, don't waste your money here.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank CT00

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Very good location in Montreal, in Town of Mont-Royal, in the middle of Montreal island, easy access east and west island, very convenient.
Although the entrance need renovation, but the apt. interior is recently renewed.
Spacious rooms, with all amenities, 2 baths in 2 bed apts, full kitchen, salon and dinning room.
with this location, and space, it's really good deal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed here for the last 3 visits to Montreal from Vancouver. It started as a last minute fluke, since everything was booked.

When I first got here I thought to myself, it's conveniently located, 15 mins to all major landmarks and yet on one side, clean suburban area, the other side facing a freeway...I love Montreal!

Underground parking and in-house cleaning lady, can't go wrong!

Bear in mind when I got here they began renovating, 1st time I had a regular room, which is well kept, but dated nonetheless.

2nd & 3rd time around, I asked for the renovated room, lucky one was available, definitely worth asking :), much nicer!!!

Staff is very helpful, 3rd time staying here and never any issues, I get the impression it's family run operation. The owner was actually kind enough to give me his parking spot for the one night it was busy, thanks Georges & Maya, you've always been very nice to me :)

P.S good job on the free wifi and cable

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room, balcony's haven't been renovated, still a lil sketchy...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I was a little concerned about staying at the Sunset Suites after having read some negative reviews, but the location and the price was so great that I thought I would take a chance, and I am very glad that I did. A friend of ours had stayed there recently and told us to look it up. They described it as an apartment building rather than a hotel and that is exactly what it is. The building itself is quite ordinary, 6 floors with 10 units on each floor. The Lobby, Elevators and corridors were rather ordianry as well, but the room itself was terrific.

Travelling with my family of 5 we normally need to reserve two hotel rooms, but the apartment at Sunse tSuites was very large and included two full bedrooms and two large bathrooms. There was also a well equipped kitchen. a nice dining area, and a living room with a large screen TV.

The owners were on site, very friendly and quite helpful.

There is a coin operated laundry room in the basement which was very helpful as we were staying for two weeks.

The only "negative" thing I can report is that the hallways were not super clean. There was stacks of plywood and some furniture piled up in the corridor which, I was told, was due to ongoing renovations of the apartments.

I don`t know what the other rooms looked like but ours was exteremely well renovated, clean, bright, quiet. and very comfortable.

My teenagers enjoyed the super high speed wifi and it was nice to be able to park indoors. They allowed us check in immediately, even though we arrived in mid-morningThe day we left we were told that we could stay as late as we wanted, there was no rush to get out at 11:00 AM as is usually the case when staying at conventional hotels.

All in all, I would highly recommend to anyone, to consider the Sunset Suites this for there next visit to Montreal.

Room Tip: Ask for the "garden side", if available, the other side faces the highway
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Steven M
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

The building as you enter reeks of dirt. The management "Maya" who says she is also the owner is rude, unprofessional, and arrogant. She told us if we didn't like it, she would "refund all the money, I swear, even if we had slept in the beds". We had travelled a long day and had one person with a broken foot, in a wheelchair and a child with us. We ordered food. As there was no phone in the unit, we did not know when the food arrived. We had to go down to check at the entrance door and found the food cooled as it had been waiting for us for twenty minutes.

By the time we found other accommodation the next morning, her ideas had changed. She insisted on charging for three nights. We paid it just to get out.

We were to have indoor parking, it was not available. The unit itself was filthy, with mold growing on the bathroom ceiling. There were exposed electrical wires, holes in the walls and floor. The chairs were dark with dirt. The kitchen did not have anywhere near the necessary dishes, kettle, etc, etc. No soap, no dish towel. The bedroom dressers had holes in them. One bedroom had no lamps. One lamp had no light bulb in the living room. The t.p. holder was broken and lying on the floor.

Maya told us she was renovating the units, but there was not a renovated unit available for us. She also told us that we should go some other place and pay $300.00 per night to meet our expectations. We were appalled at her attitude and rudeness. We shared our story with our friends and family who live in Montreal. And now with all who read reviews.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travel19551955
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

A couple of years ago, my family and I used to stay at this hotel all the time when visiting Montreal. It was exactly what we needed. Before going back, we were a bit scared after reading the reviews but decided to still go ahead and stay at Le Sunset . When we recently got there, we asked for a renovated room and again, we were extremely pleased with our stay. The room was fully renovated and very clean. The kitchen was well equipped. Everything was new, from the hardwood floors, marble kitchen counters to the bathrooms. The hotel itself is well located, next to the highway and 10 minutes away from downtown. The staff were, as we remembered, extremely nice and very helpful. They helped us to get around, to rent a car and also with my kids homework. We were happy we did not take the bad reviews into consideration because we were extremely pleased with our stay and would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
Centre-Ville (Downtown)
#13 of 92 in Montreal
leQube Apartments
leQube Apartments
#6 of 92 in Montreal

Been to Sunset Suites? Share your experiences!