“Does the trick”

Ranked #130 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“Does the trick”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Hotel Champ-De-Mars is easy to get to and is in a great location in Old Montreal. Overall it is a very charming hotel that definitely gives the feel of days gone by. Our room was very small, which is fine when you're only two people staying for two nights. It is definitely dated, but clean. Beware if you are a light sleeper, because you can hear absolutely everything from the rooms next door! There is no denying this place needs upgrades, but it does have charm. And if you're only there to sleep and not hang out in your hotel room then it certainly does the trick.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We booked this hotel before reading the reviews online. I must say before arriving we prepared for the worst!
We planned our one night stay in MTL to include being at the hotel as little as possible.

Surprisingly(I say this due to other reviews) the owner was very pleasant, they made a mistake when booking and only had 3 of us (we were 4- 2 adults, 2 kids) so they upgraded us to the suite for no extra fee. Location is excellent!
I have no complaints against the owner(s) or location.

To those thinking of travelling to this hotel:
The parking is not on site. It is a public parking, enclosed and heated, about 2 blocks from the hotel. We couldn't get into it when we wanted to leave and had to wait for someone to drive out.

Not very accessible for people with: Mobility issues/wheel chairs. No elevators and many stairs.

Breakfast was not included, we thought it was due to the description on the website, its an extra 10$ a plate + service. It was an ok breakfast, but had we known we would have eaten elsewhere.

The rooms, are very small, even the suite. The bedroom consisted of one double bed and one single bed, with access to a small bathroom. Water temperature was difficult to control. Tub/shower area could have been cleaner.

The living room held 2 love seats and a tv. The love seats we pushed together to make a bed for my daughter. There was also a small kitchenette. I have a feeling this is the largest room available in this hotel.
Decor is old, but functional. Nothing was broken, but it is far from modern, well used and banged up.
This is an older building, so the walls are thin, you can hear people talking in other rooms and coming up the stairs. If you are a light sleeper this may be a problem.

We did have stains on the comforter (washed?? not washed?? I am uncertain) and on some towels, though the towels smelled clean/bleach.

My son commented that at least it was better than the Bates motel (A&E) lol
Althouhg it faired better than we expected, we would not stay here next time we are in Montreal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Small rooms.... Your there to sleep and shower.... Anyway, the staff was excellent to my wife and I when visiting Montreal for the first time, they cooked for us each night and packed lunches for our day site seeing trips..... Not many hotels,would do this. We enjoyed this place greatly, it's been about three years and now we don't have to travel on a budget. we have since visited Montreal, and I can say I might stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I made a mistake and accidentally booked the wrong Hotel Champ-De-Mars Hotel (yes silly me meant to book the one in Paris).

I told the booking site immediately, they laughed and said 'you're not the first to make this mistake' and they would let the hotel know. They even emailed me directing me to the correct hotel.

I thought it would be OK as my account was not debited. FOUR DAYS LATER they took the FULL AMOUNT being $340 and said "I could use this as a reservation for the hotel for up to 1 year". I told them I had no intention of going to Montreal (from Australia) and thought it was unreasonable as I had alerted them to the mistake, not only straight away (within 10 minutes of making the mistake), but TWICE before they debited my account. I then emailed them and once again explained what happened, but received no response.

Thank you for taking $340 for a mistake I told you about straight away. I can only imagine how your hotel policies would impact someone actually staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tamsin203

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed here for a few days. Very basic, the furniture is a bit tired and the room was tiny. That said, the price was very competitive and the location is hard to beat at a comparable price for visiting Old Montreal. Also close to Chinatown, the "Grande Bibliotheque" and the Montreal Court.
Staff is friendly. Did not try their breakfast. Not too sure about ovall cleanliness (smells musty) but cannot complain given the price. Recommended for tourists on a tight budget - it is good value for money, albeit not the Ritz.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Massimo G
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Champ-de-Mars in Montreal. It was very affordable and in a good location within walking distance to the center of town and Olde Montreal, and the Metro. The D-4 at breakfast was excellent with delicious eggs, toast, fresh fruit, potatoes and bacon or sausage with beverage. (Each day, a $3 service fee) We got the package that included breakfast; if you don't, keep in mind they charge a la carte for even a bagel with fruit ($10). I would not recommend the Champ if you have any cardiac or pulmonary issues or if you have any physical handicap, as there is no elevator, and we had 38 steps to the second floor (there are three floors in the hotel). The rooms are extremely small; we lucked out getting a room with a few windows (that don't open) and a larger bathroom. In addition, the customer has no control over the temperature in the rooms. There is central AC, but management controls the temp. We were ok, but at times, it got a little hot (the beginning of June). Staff was helpful at times, but management can be manipulative with money issues; make sure everything is on the table before you arrive and what you are expecting is what you'll get! No pool being an older hotel. Walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors, but this was only a problem a couple of times on the weekend. So if you are young, energetic, and staying in Montreal for a few days on a budget, the Champ is for you! If you can enjoy the beautiful city of Montreal and put hotel worries away, the Champ is for you!

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room with windows in a corner. If you have a hard time with steps and have a l...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Its a renovated older historic hotel and so the rooms and beds are small but they are clean and comfortable and the bathroom was actually a fair size. The lobby is inviting in a quaint sort of way and the restaurant is a very viable option for breakfast lunch or dinner, with friendly service. The best of Montreal for most visitors is the old city "Vieux-Montreal" and its all within easy walking distance,- being that Rue Berri demarcates the eastern extent of the old city which is not all that large,- though it is densely packed with interesting sites. Also, buses do run right along Rue Berri and the nearest subway station is within walking distance, so therefore all of Montreal's modern downtown is very accessible. Wifi is available only in the restaurant or lobby, but the large sofas make it make a comfortable experience. There are no hairdryers in the bathrooms but that's a minor thing if you bring your own.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple